JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 3,142
Now where are:
Carlflow, Jasonharkin, NeilPeart, plaidplatypus, Soupy, Steaxauce (although he tried to actually SELL his), Wertherdvx ?????

Because they are the only other ones with DX1000 in their profile......
frown.gif

Although some of them have so many phones in their profile they may actually have forgotten they have them..........
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 3,142
I was just messing around with you mulveling
wink.gif
- thanks for the pricing info, you're talking RS-1 prices, very very tempting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't see them often because only about 5 people on head-fi own them. They are quite nice headphones though their presentation is a bit strange. If you like the traditional AT woody sound (W1000, W5000, etc) the JVC's are a very different sound.

And the 5 owners are very trustworthy headfiers. Not fanboys trying to push their headphones. I think I might sell something to free up some funds for this.

My wallet is trembling.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 3,142
I've been curious about the DX1000 for a while now. I'd sure like to hear them before plunking down the serious bucks to buy them.

I have very little experience listening to woodies, the only one I've heard was a short audition of a ATH-W100. I do have a feel for the AT house sound and so far it's really not for me.

Do the JVC's have any of the colored midrange of the AT open phones, such as the AD2000? I listen mostly to large scale classical music. FWIW, my two current cans with the most head time are the HD600 and the K601, even though I have the K1000 as well.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #19 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checking in! I love bass
biggrin.gif

I'll see if I can take some closeup shots tonight. Yeah, it is pricey to import but it's been had for a deal ($650ish) used in the past.

It's too bad they lack worldwide distribution. Also, if they were just 200-300 cheaper they could compete at the W5000's price level - though the AT had an established headphone reputation going for it. JVC just doesn't get acknowledgement from Western audiophiles (not too surprising with offerings like THIS, lol
tongue.gif
).

Was that a slam at my speaker rig dude? I love my "turbo" bass ports and all the wicked lights dude! My chick digs it too man.
icon10.gif

Seriously though I just listened to these Saturday at the Dallas meet. Plaidplatypus brought them. I listened out of his source (Shanling CDP) unamped with Michael Bubl'e and they sounded great. So of coarse I thought "I need to hear these amped", reached over and plugged them into my Darkvoice and bamm instant dogcrap! What's up with that? They're the only headphone I've encountered that sounded terrible out of the Darkvoice. And it wasn't just me Plaidplatypus thought so too. Back into the Shanling and immediate bliss again. What are you guys amping these with. Let's not even talk about the crazy good comfort factor.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 3,142
Has anyone compared them to HD650? I'd be very interested of the results.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by billinkansas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been curious about the DX1000 for a while now.

Me too. I heard jpelg's pair ever so briefly at the national meet and they seemed interesting. I'd have to spend a lot more time with them to be able to comment, and as interesting as they seem, I've already got far too many headpones that aren't getting enough listening time. So I don't really see a pair in my future. Same goes for the new Denon AH-D5000 which also looks interesting, and hopefully will sound as good as it looks.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #22 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now where are:
Carlflow, Jasonharkin, NeilPeart, plaidplatypus, Soupy, Steaxauce (although he tried to actually SELL his), Wertherdvx ?????

frown.gif

Although some of them have so many phones in their profile they may actually have forgotten they have them..........
eek.gif

Wertherdvx has virtually every high-end dynamic headphone ever produced, as well as many of the best orthodynamic ones. He calls it a museum, which is pretty much right. He doesn't post much, though I know from personal correspondence that he's extremely well-informed on headphone history. But the fact of the matter is he has so many headphones, it's possible he's never spent any time with the JVCs.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #23 of 3,142
I'd have to say that the HD650 has an overall darker signature than the DX1000, although the DX1000 has more bass energy than the HD650 (which when I owned them I did not think had enough bass). The DX1000 also defintely has more treble air and energy.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #24 of 3,142
As far as I know NeilPeart never actually owned the DX1000 - he was simply borrowing ayt999's pair for a while (just as he is currently borrowing ayt999's ATH-W11R and ATH-W11JPN). The DX1000 is listed in his profile as a "borrowed for a while 'phone." NP has had the noble opportunity to borrow nearly all of ayt999's gear for extended periods (even his HE90, R10, Omega II, Qualia, etc.) - it's nice to have cool Head-Fiers so close!

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 3,142
I found the DX-1000's bass quite overwhelming, and not very detailed. I'm not even convinced it was all that deep. I can understand why someone who likes the Beyer DT770 sound, would like the JVC's though.

In the end, they proved too inconsistent, and insufficiently resolving for this one-headphone man. I'm glad they found a good home across the pond.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #26 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the DX-1000's bass quite overwhelming, and not very detailed. I'm not even convinced it was all that deep. I can understand why someone who likes the Beyer DT770 sound, would like the JVC's though.

In the end, they proved too inconsistent, and insufficiently resolving for this one-headphone man. I'm glad they found a good home across the pond.

I cannot say, of course, whether any individual person would find the bass detailed (although I do). However, I can say definitively that it goes VERY deep - I measured it with an SPL meter and a Stereophile test CD. The DX1000 can forcefully reproduce 25 Hz - something no other headphone I have owned can do.

But jpelg has a good point - make no mistake - people who like their bass on the light side, like fans of the ATW5000, Sony SA5000, or the like, will find the bass of the DX1000 to be too much.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #27 of 3,142
I have DX1000 (#0458) for some time now, and it is a dark-sounding phone, in my opinion. I have not decided, though, if I prefer them to my AT-1000 Ltd. AT is more comfortable, and seem to offer better dynamics. JVC does have better bass, though.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #28 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now where are:

frown.gif

eek.gif

I have Steaxauce's old JVC's, He prefered them to balanced HD650 out of a DA-10.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #29 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checking in! I love bass
biggrin.gif

I'll see if I can take some closeup shots tonight. Yeah, it is pricey to import but it's been had for a deal ($650ish) used in the past.

It's too bad they lack worldwide distribution. Also, if they were just 200-300 cheaper they could compete at the W5000's price level - though the AT had an established headphone reputation going for it. JVC just doesn't get acknowledgement from Western audiophiles (not too surprising with offerings like THIS, lol
tongue.gif
).

I wonder if Giga-Tube technology could be applied to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back