JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 31, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #46 of 3,142
Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to which headphones get endorsed by the head-fi community and which ones don't. Think of how many head-fiers bought Edition7s total, relative to how many have already bought Edition9s.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #47 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason as to which headphones get endorsed by the head-fi community and which ones don't. Think of how many head-fiers bought Edition7s total, relative to how many have already bought Edition9s.

Edition 7 = 1 (me) as far as I know. In recent times, there may be a couple more, but if so, they're pretty quiet about it (i.e., not active posters). I took them to several meets when they were brand spanking new and they sounded absolutely terrible out of the box! This led to all sorts of bad press, and I was as guilty as anyone (more so, really) because I had the opportunity to break them in and give them a real chance, but never bothered with them for the longest time. Thus, there was only 1 real data point, and never a full review by anyone who gave them a complete workout.

Edition 9 = many (or so it seems) but of course this comes after the 2500 and 750 had gained some respect (which keeps growing, by the way). The other ** very important ** factor is that the Edition 9 are half the price of the Edition 7 and yet (from all reports) essentially the same headphone in terms of sonics.

But I do see your point and it is quite well taken. When some good press gets out there, momentum quickly builds. When word travels slowly, or if the first reviews are strongly negative, momentum is killed (especially for high dollar headphones where people don't want to take risks, and understandably so).

BTW, this reminds me that I need to get some thoughts out there concerning the Stax 4070. My initial impressions are that they're quite good indeed! I haven't given them much time yet, and have not compared them to anything, but "soon come" as they say in Cayman.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #48 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, this reminds me that I need to get some thoughts out there concerning the Stax 4070. My initial impressions are that they're quite good indeed! I haven't given them much time yet, and have not compared them to anything, but "soon come" as they say in Cayman.

They're definately another member of Team Underappriciated. The Koss electrostats likewise. In fact, we really aught to make a list of headphones that get less respect than they deserve, sort of like a headphone adoption agency.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #49 of 3,142
Quote:

They're definately another member of Team Underappriciated. The Koss electrostats likewise. In fact, we really aught to make a list of headphones that get less respect than they deserve, sort of like a headphone adoption agency.

Funny! Let's see: KSC-75, K701, HD650... nah, just kidding!

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #50 of 3,142
Quote:

Funny! Let's see: KSC-75, K701, HD650... nah, just kidding!

Time to break out the knives...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, why don't we? First off, we need to find a home for these, considering no one at head-fi has even listened to a pair, let alone bought one.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #51 of 3,142
Quote:

Time to break out the knives...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, though, why don't we? First off, we need to find a home for these, considering no one at head-fi has even listened to a pair, let alone bought one.

Interesting find! Thinking outside of the box now and then can be healthy. Always thinking outside of the box, on the other hand, can eventually lead to insanity. Part of what I like about Head-Fi is that discoveries like the cans you've linked to are somewhat rare! If a company can't muster enough strength to garner at least some minimal market appeal, then I figure I'm better off without them anyway. If I never know what I'm missing, then I'm not missing much (even if I really am, if that makes any sense).

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #52 of 3,142
Quote:

Interesting find! Thinking outside of the box now and then can be healthy. Always thinking outside of the box, on the other hand, can eventually lead to insanity. Part of what I like about Head-Fi is that discoveries like the cans you've linked to are somewhat rare! If a company can't muster enough strength to garner at least some minimal market appeal, then I figure I'm better off without them anyway. If I never know what I'm missing, then I'm not missing much (even if I really am, if that makes any sense).

I've never found going with the crowd to be particularly benefitial. I'm certainly glad I haven't been led to believe an HD595 driven from an iPod and a Hornet is headphone perfection. There are many, many paths in life, and it's important to find our own one.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:22 AM Post #53 of 3,142
Quote:

that's finally released? sorta forgot about it after tracking it's nonrelease for the longest time (since sometime in 2005? I forget). guess I'll have to seek it out and try it the next time I'm in japan.

Jan 31, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #54 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's finally released? sorta forgot about it after tracking it's nonrelease for the longest time (since sometime in 2005? I forget). guess I'll have to seek it out and try it the next time I'm in japan.

Supposedly, yes. I guess there wasn't much of a fanfare when they actually started selling them.

Jan 31, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #55 of 3,142
Quote:

I agree.
4070s look interesting, but there is little to no press out there. Not to say that press would sway me one way or the other, but it sure would be nice to hear something about them? They aren't cheap so it's not like I can or would go out and buy them just to hear them; kind of sense does that make?
tongue.gif

Quote:

I've never found going with the crowd to be particularly benefitial. I'm certainly glad I haven't been led to believe an HD595 driven from an iPod and a Hornet is headphone perfection. There are many, many paths in life, and it's important to find our own one.

Isn't that the truth!

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 3,142
Good question Carl.

Note: There are plenty of meets where you see the usual suspects, but I've yet to see one with the 4070s. I've Googled, etc., there are limited reviews, if any. A public comparison or review of the 4070s could give others an idea of what to look forward to or not, and/or possibly share information or thoughts ICO the 4070s. So, for starters, I'd like to read about what they bring to the table, be it same or different than all of the rest. In addition, what earspeaker/phones they compare to or contrast. And, what music they do or do not do well, if applicable. However, the STAX thread or Stax 4070 owners unite would probably be the more appropriate venue(s).

As far as the JVC DX1000s there are a lot of mixed opinions, but at least there is some information out there to choose from. It would be nice to put together a list of unheard of or underappreciated earspeakers/headphones, with reviews and comparisons, as it gets boring fast hearing about the same "old" candidates day in day out.

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:50 AM Post #58 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note: There are plenty of meets where you see the usual suspects, but I've yet to see one with the 4070s.

Urs bought one to the recent meet in Zurich. It seems Jazz didn't like them that much, and understanding what he regards as important aspects of the music I can see why (they do many things well, but air isn't exactly one of them). Hopefully Wayne will bring his to the next Florida meet he goes to.

Quote:

I've Googled, etc., there are limited reviews, if any.

Agreed on that front. Even in Japanese there isn't much on them.

Quote:

A public comparison or review of the 4070s could give others an idea of what to look forward to or not, and/or possibly share information or thoughts ICO the 4070s.

I plan to do just that, but I really need a better amp. Few headphones are as demanding as the 4070.

Quote:

So, for starters, I'd like to read about what they bring to the table, be it same or different than all of the rest.

Electrostatics that are closed and have good weight to the bass.

Quote:

In addition, what earspeaker/phones they compare to or contrast.

The lambdas, obviously as they share the same driver. That said, the 4070 is more than simply a closed 404.

Quote:

And, what music they do or do not do well, if applicable. However, the STAX thread or Stax 4070 owners unite would probably be the more appropriate venue(s).

Low key music; jazz, acoustic guitar, a capala, that sort of thing. They shouldn't be ones first choice for the grandiose, stuff like romantic-era classical.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #59 of 3,142
Quote:

Low key music; jazz, acoustic guitar, a capala, that sort of thing. They shouldn't be ones first choice for the grandiose, stuff like romantic-era classical.

frown.gif

I like very much, a lot, this kind of music. It's sad to read that. So two question:

Is the DX1000 well enough for that? Beethoven's Choral? Rimsky-Korsavov's Scheherazade?
Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez?

OFF topic (sorry): What electrostatic for above music then? Omega II?

Jan 31, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #60 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarnauga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OFF topic (sorry): What electrostatic for above music then? Omega II?

I like the HE60 as they sound more spritely, but the Baby O and O2 are very close in terms of overall quality, even if their sonic character is fairly different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back