JVC HP-DX1000 Owners Unite!
Jan 30, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #31 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was that a slam at my speaker rig dude? I love my "turbo" bass ports and all the wicked lights dude! My chick digs it too man.
icon10.gif

Seriously though I just listened to these Saturday at the Dallas meet. Plaidplatypus brought them. I listened out of his source (Shanling CDP) unamped with Michael Bubl'e and they sounded great. So of coarse I thought "I need to hear these amped", reached over and plugged them into my Darkvoice and bamm instant dogcrap! What's up with that? They're the only headphone I've encountered that sounded terrible out of the Darkvoice. And it wasn't just me Plaidplatypus thought so too. Back into the Shanling and immediate bliss again. What are you guys amping these with. Let's not even talk about the crazy good comfort factor.

Hmm that is odd, interesting findings. I've enjoyed them from the Sugden Headmaster and (even better) out of the SDS with two very different tube configurations (2x Sylvania VT-231 + Raytheon 5678 VS 2x Tung-Sol D 5687 + Ken-Rad or Tung-Sol roundplate VT-231). Surprisingly, I'm not very fond of the Berning microZOTL with the JVC, and that's an amp that does very well with most cans.

Also guys, I'd consider the JVC's overall frequency balance in the ballpark of the HD650 w/Zu & L3000. Devout followers of bright headphones like K1000, Grados w/ bowls, even HD600 to some extent (well it's brighter than the HD650) - probably need not apply.

Jan 30, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #32 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd have to say that the HD650 has an overall darker signature than the DX1000, although the DX1000 has more bass energy than the HD650 (which when I owned them I did not think had enough bass). The DX1000 also defintely has more treble air and energy.

You make me want them so bad. Evil!
frown.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:27 AM Post #33 of 3,142
DX1000s sound very intriguing; however, I'd like to here how the sound in comparison to the Ultrasone Special Edition 9s. And, although the JVCs do not look as cheaply made as the Ultrasones, I don't think that I would mind owning either or both.

It's also interesting to hear that source dependant, the DX1000s could sound less than desirable. What are you guys/gals amping/DACing them with?

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 3,142
Unlike swt61's experience, I greatly preferred the DX1000 with tubes. I like it better with the Singlepower PPX3 than with my Meier amps. Since I prefer all the Beyers with the Meier amps, it does provide further evidence that the DX1000 is somehwhat enigmatic, and does need the right pairing to sound its best.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #35 of 3,142
The DX-1000's sounded very, very nice with a friend's Cary 300sei amp. Much better than with my Raptor. So blanket statements re:tubes can't really apply. You just gotta try it.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DX-1000's sounded very, very nice with a friend's Cary 300sei amp. Much better than with my Raptor. So blanket statements re:tubes can't really apply. You just gotta try it.

Exactly. It really is a headphone that requires some careful matching for good synergy.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 3,142
A fabulous combo is DX1000 & Corda Prehead mkII SE.
I think the Prehead manages the bass of the DX1000 extremely well. It keeps the bass out of the way of the midrange and gives it more detail than any other amp I tried them with. Small downpoint is the somewhat dry midrange, which definitely sounds "nicer" from a tube amp. The total sound picture is awesome though.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #38 of 3,142
Quote:

Exactly. It really is a headphone that requires some careful matching for good synergy.

I've yet to meet a headphone that this statement doesn't apply to, save the HE90 perhaps, but een they improve with better amp and source matching.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #39 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wertherdvx has virtually every high-end dynamic headphone ever produced, as well as many of the best orthodynamic ones. He calls it a museum, which is pretty much right.

You mean that it's still possible that someone out there has a worse case of headphone sickness than me? Whew! I'm feeling refreshed and relieved!

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #40 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've yet to meet a headphone that this statement doesn't apply to, save the HE90 perhaps, but een they improve with better amp and source matching.

Totally agree. Most headphones require good matching.

Jan 30, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #41 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wertherdvx has virtually every high-end dynamic headphone ever produced, as well as many of the best orthodynamic ones. He calls it a museum, which is pretty much right. He doesn't post much..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean that it's still possible that someone out there has a worse case of headphone sickness than me? Whew! I'm feeling refreshed and relieved!

My goodness...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222276

Jan 30, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #42 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the DX-1000's bass quite overwhelming, and not very detailed. I'm not even convinced it was all that deep. I can understand why someone who likes the Beyer DT770 sound, would like the JVC's though.

In the end, they proved too inconsistent, and insufficiently resolving for this one-headphone man. I'm glad they found a good home across the pond.

My wallet thanks you
icon10.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 4:18 AM Post #43 of 3,142
Quote:

Unlike swt61's experience, I greatly preferred the DX1000 with tubes. I like it better with the Singlepower PPX3 than with my Meier amps. Since I prefer all the Beyers with the Meier amps, it does provide further evidence that the DX1000 is somehwhat enigmatic, and does need the right pairing to sound its best.

I like them best straight out of the Shanling's hybrid tube headphone out.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #44 of 3,142
I think I was the first to have one on Head-Fi and hopefully helped in promoting the headphone with reviews, pictures, and recommendations here and there... although I don't have it anymore in an attempt to somewhat cut down on the items I don't have a need for. luckily it's found a nice home with mulveling who seems quite attached to it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think it has one of the highest full-length reviews / userbase ratios on head-fi with at least three or four reviews posted on them despite the seemingly low number of owners. at least early on the ratio was very close to 1, and might have even exceeded it due to some interesting exchanges.

Jan 31, 2007 at 6:32 AM Post #45 of 3,142
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it has one of the highest full-length reviews / userbase ratios on head-fi with at least three or four reviews posted on them despite the seemingly low number of owners. at least early on the ratio was very close to 1, and might have even exceeded it due to some interesting exchanges.

No kidding! This never occurred to me, but you're right. Even though I spent precious little time with jpelg's DX-1000, somehow I feel as though I have a good handle on their strengths and weaknesses. This is extremely rare at Head-Fi. Normally, a new pair of headphones will be out there for quite a while before it gets much press. I suppose this is part of why I'm still very curious about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back