In search of the perfect headphone (for me, that is)
Jul 24, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #16 of 27
I have, unfortunately as you say a bit warm and a bit too recessed mids, I found. really good sounding phone but just not hitting the right notes for me.
no idea about the D7100 though, maybe it'll have a better sound signature for my liking. I will wait until there are more reviews of it :)
thanks!

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #18 of 27
With regards the LCD's they are all very fast phones but they also have great weight and power to their sound. Many 'fast' phones are quite lean sounding and that can emphasize the 'speed' factor.
I have the LCD2.2 and had the 2.1 previously.
The LCD2.1 was dark but no where near HD650 dark. Once you get use to them they sound very natural. The LCD are not significantly rolled off just recessed in the hf's so the detail is all there just not pushed out as much as many other phones.
I don't consider the LCD2.2 dark. I use a silver cable on mine but the hf's are more prominent than on the LCD2.1 (I used the same silver cable on both). The midrange is not recessed (something I hate) either which seems to be something you are concerned about.

Also have you considered the Beyer T1's another superb and well balanced phone.

Jul 28, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 27
oh that sounds very promising - I do indeed find the HD650 to be much too dark.
I can't say I'm too thrilled with recessed high frequencies, but I won't know until I hear them.
great to hear from someone else who's picky about midrange!
I'm definitely interested in the LCD-2 rev2 from what I've read before, and this now.
I am not aware of the T1 to be honest - it's somehow not made it onto my radar... I have so far not been a big fan of the Beyerdynamic headphones, but I'll definitely read a bit about the T1.

thanks a lot!!

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #21 of 27
From what I've read, the AD2000's would be the best 'budge't option. Fast, textured bass, forward mids, and balanced, smooth high frequncies. It supposedly has a fairly wide soundstage also.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
what about trying HE-500 with a SS amp ??? EF5 is dark and it seems too warm sometimes (with stock opamp and stock tube)

I am very much thinking of trying this combination if I can find a pair to borrow for a while, hopefully my M^3 will be a good enough pairing. I definitely found the EF5 to be way too dark and warm.
Quote:
From what I've read, the AD2000's would be the best 'budge't option. Fast, textured bass, forward mids, and balanced, smooth high frequncies. It supposedly has a fairly wide soundstage also.

Budget is not really necessary here, but the AD2000 is on my list for sure. the only thing that worries me is that it might have the same comfort issues as the AD900, in the sense that the drivers/cloth touch my ears and cause discomfort after a while. if there only were pads to fix that somehow...

thanks!

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #24 of 27
Shure SRH 940s ... if you find them too bright, go with SRH840s, if you miss bass from either of these, then Audio Technica A900X... but if you hate the comfort (be it the wing system or the awful pleather pads) then the Fostex T50RPs Mad Dogs...

:p

Good luck!

P.S. Sound stage is not uber big on either of these listed but they reproduce a pleasant mid-forward sound to my ears...

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
Budget is not really necessary here, but the AD2000 is on my list for sure. the only thing that worries me is that it might have the same comfort issues as the AD900, in the sense that the drivers/cloth touch my ears and cause discomfort after a while. if there only were pads to fix that somehow...

thanks!

Aren't the W1000X beautiful leather pads compatible with most of those AD headphones? They are pricy but worth a shot...

Sep 5, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #27 of 27
Midrange that isn't recessed (perhaps even a bit forward), great soundstage, fast, and clear?

That just screams Stax SR-Lambda to me, as in the original Normal bias sets. Not only are they generally more affordable (especially if you have a speaker amp/receiver to drive the SRD-7s most of them come with), but you'd probably prefer the midrange presentation to the newer Lambda models if the SR-202 was any indication.

Being a long-discontinued vintage set, though, you'll have to hunt around for used sales and hope the sellers will ship to your area. They should go for around US$300-350 bundled with an SRD-7. It's definitely not cheap, but that's electrostatics for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back