[Impression] FiiO E10
Nov 25, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #391 of 1,324
My E10 "docked" on top of my E9 
wink.gif

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #393 of 1,324
Dont really know what thread to post this into, but see if any one can help.
I am new to the HiFi world but have been discovering new stuff.
My current setup is a Denon m38DAB, Seinhesser hd 595, Fiio E5, Fiio E6 and now a Fiio e10.
At the Girlfriends place the computer -> Fiio E10 -> Denon m38 is a pretty good combo.
At home the Xonar d1 -> Fiio E6 -> HD595 is a pretty good combo.
On the move i use a sony S706 -> either Igrado or Etymotic hc2 and they are a pretty good combo, though i`m getting a Clip+ after recomendations on here.
Now the problem, the E10 setup at the Girlfriends is really nice but using the headphone amp on the Fiio E10 with the Igrado, HC2, HD595 and a pair of HD270 all distort. 
I`m no Hi-Fi buff but the highs sound fine and the bass sounds good, only problem is as soon as theres a kick drum, the drum sounds distorted. I`m hopeing this will die down with `burn in` but has any one else had this?

Nov 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #394 of 1,324

Quote:
Dont really know what thread to post this into, but see if any one can help.
I am new to the HiFi world but have been discovering new stuff.
My current setup is a Denon m38DAB, Seinhesser hd 595, Fiio E5, Fiio E6 and now a Fiio e10.
At the Girlfriends place the computer -> Fiio E10 -> Denon m38 is a pretty good combo.
At home the Xonar d1 -> Fiio E6 -> HD595 is a pretty good combo.
On the move i use a sony S706 -> either Igrado or Etymotic hc2 and they are a pretty good combo, though i`m getting a Clip+ after recomendations on here.
Now the problem, the E10 setup at the Girlfriends is really nice but using the headphone amp on the Fiio E10 with the Igrado, HC2, HD595 and a pair of HD270 all distort
I`m no Hi-Fi buff but the highs sound fine and the bass sounds good, only problem is as soon as theres a kick drum, the drum sounds distorted. I`m hopeing this will die down with `burn in` but has any one else had this?

That isn't normal.  Do you have the bass boost on?  Are the songs distorting through other sources (such as without the E10 and using the computers headphone output instead), or is it only happening with the E10?  Do you have replay gain boosting the songs?

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #395 of 1,324

Quote:
That isn't normal.  Do you have the bass boost on?  Are the songs distorting through other sources (such as without the E10 and using the computers headphone output instead), or is it only happening with the E10?  Do you have replay gain boosting the songs?

I'm a little concerned as the sound from the e10 to the Denon is really clear and nice.
The sound from the headphone output is nothing as `clear` due to distortion.
At your suggestion I tried the E10 -> denon then the headphone out of the denon and the distortion is not there.
Bass on or off does not matter, still distortion.
Its not overly distorted, its just `there` on every single kick drum. Its listenable but when you know how clear it sounds via the Line out, why does the headphone amp distort?
When i used to Dj i had to copy vinyl to CD to mix with (i used cd decks) and the phonostage i used (Project phono box) had no gain control. On a few 45 rpm songs the output would distort and it sounds an awful lot like that the headphone amp is doing here.
The output is from Foobar with no Eq using Asio4all output. Foobar = max volume, windows = max volume (as recomended).
Tracks are studio masters WAVs (i know a few producers who pass me their orginals) or WAV downloads from Juno or Flac CD copies.

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #396 of 1,324
You should bring the E10 and the distorted headphone to your GF's house and listen to her collection just to check if there distortion is still there.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #397 of 1,324
I have a new and old ThinkPad.

If the E10 becomes your primary sound card in the Windows Control Panel, the laptop speakers should no longer emit sound. The thing is silent unless you plug your headphones in the front or the Klipsch in the line-out.

The only time the laptop speakers will go off with the E10 is when WASAPI mode or another exclusive mode takes control of the device like in foobar or Jriver media players. Then, a YouTube video, for example. will by default play on the speakers as you listen on headphones.

Well, I have a thinkpad. Their are not really known to be strong in the multimedia departement. But do you think I'd still hear the sound coming out of my speakers when I plug my head phones in the e10? 

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #398 of 1,324
I got some odd distortion in something like the spectrum you mentioned and fixed it by just unplugging and then reconnecting the E10. It had me worried for a good ten minutes, though.

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #399 of 1,324
I just got my E10 in the mail today, and all I can say is:

SWEET JESUS HAVE MERCY

99% of the time I listen to my DT 770 Pro 80's on my MacBook (which is also my desktop). Compared to the mini jack on the MacBook, the E10 is leaps and bounds better, even surpassing my expectations. When plugged directly into my MacBook's mini jack, I found the 770's bass noticeably loose with a tendency to drown out the rest of the spectrum at low volume. With the E10, the bass on my DT 770 has now been tamed, with well defined stoccato at all volume levels. I am most impressed by this improvement while listening to heavy metal with blast beats. I can hear and feel every individual kick. Further, the E10 has brought out the mids which I found were quite recessed un-amped. Now I find they are almost balanced, but not forward by any means. And my favorite part of the DT 770 hasn't changed: non-fatiguing highs. I can listen to the TEESH-TEESH of cymbals and heavy metal singers wailing in falsetto all day without getting a headache. To think that people pay $50-$150 more for just a pair of Beats headphones than I paid for both my 770's and E10. Shudder. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #400 of 1,324
I've had my E10 for about two weeks and I love it.  Using it with my XB-700's, with Foobar and WASAPI, and I can't believe how great this sounds.  I'm looking to get the ATH-M50's from Amazon (the price keeps going down!)-and I'm sure it will get even better.  The E10 is truly one of the great buys in audio today.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #401 of 1,324

Quote:
I have a new and old ThinkPad.

If the E10 becomes your primary sound card in the Windows Control Panel, the laptop speakers should no longer emit sound. The thing is silent unless you plug your headphones in the front or the Klipsch in the line-out.

The only time the laptop speakers will go off with the E10 is when WASAPI mode or another exclusive mode takes control of the device like in foobar or Jriver media players. Then, a YouTube video, for example. will by default play on the speakers as you listen on headphones.

I've never heard of that. Is it possible to manually control it?. I really only have this concern since like I said before my pro media 2.1 are messed up. There has to be a problem with its circuitry.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #402 of 1,324
I forgot about that part of the speaker:

Okay, I never put a headphone there when I had it.

So, forget about that WASAPI mode part.

If you were to get the Fiio, you would insert the ATH M50s in the front and the Klipsch in the back when needed.

If you are having problems like I had with the sound of the Klipsch 2.1s, you may want to order what I did a few years ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REPAIR-ONLY-DIN-PLUG-Klipsch-ProMedia-2-1-Control-Pod-NOT-selling-control-pod-/110781314671?pt=PCA_Speakers&hash=item19cb14b66f#ht_663wt_1290

Quote:
I've never heard of that. Is it possible to manually control it?. I really only have this concern since like I said before my pro media 2.1 are messed up. There has to be a problem with its circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back