[Impression] FiiO E10
Nov 18, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #361 of 1,324
Yesterday, I was attempting to enjoy my precious FLAC rip of the vintage wax recording of Hank Gruel's 1917 classic, "I Basted Mary Pickford's Omelet," when I noticed a vile and constant hiss emanating from the cranium-side-mounted speakers I refer to as my over-the-skulls. 

It was then that I realized said OTSs -- which had never hissed at me before -- were plugged into the Fiio E10. 

I now have copious bills from my audiologist to verify the extent of the aesthetic trauma caused by that event. 

This "E10," a so-called "amp/DAC" (which I've enclosed in so-called "quotation marks") is nothing less than an aluminum-enclosed abuse against every Head-fi member who has ever cared about fidelity.  I demand that Fiio recall every single device they've made since 70,881 BC --

Wait a minute.  The pre-ripped source happened to be a wax recording.  What if my listening experience was hampered in some way by the naturally produced lavender noise that others on the CYLINDRICAL EAR Forums have praised so highly --

I need to rethink this complaint.  Will post again after I notice some other defect (and I will!) which may or may not be caused by SIBLI (Signal Impinged By Listener's Inattention).

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #362 of 1,324

Quote:
Yesterday, I was attempting to enjoy my precious FLAC rip of the vintage wax recording of Hank Gruel's 1917 classic, "I Basted Mary Pickford's Omelet," when I noticed a vile and constant hiss emanating from the cranium-side-mounted speakers I refer to as my over-the-skulls. 

It was then that I realized said OTSs -- which had never hissed at me before -- were plugged into the Fiio E10. 

I now have copious bills from my audiologist to verify the extent of the aesthetic trauma caused by that event. 

This "E10," a so-called "amp/DAC" (which I've enclosed in so-called "quotation marks") is nothing less than an aluminum-enclosed abuse against every Head-fi member who has ever cared about fidelity.  I demand that Fiio recall every single device they've made since 70,881 BC --

Wait a minute.  The pre-ripped source happened to be a wax recording.  What if my listening experience was hampered in some way by the naturally produced lavender noise that others on the CYLINDRICAL EAR Forums have praised so highly --

I need to rethink this complaint.  Will post again after I notice some other defect (and I will!) which may or may not be caused by SIBLI (Signal Impinged By Listener's Inattention).

LOL

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #363 of 1,324
Well, this is the E10 impressions thread, so my impression of the E10 is that I LOVE IT!  

I was skeptical about the improvements DACs made over the soundcard, but after listening to this I don't want to ever go back to my laptop's HP out. 

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #365 of 1,324
does the HeadRoom Total BitHead Headphone Amp / DAC be  overwhelmed by the Fiio E10??

Pretty much yes. The only two things Total BitHead are good at are the crossfeed and of course battery powered. Use purely as USB DAC + amp, E10 is better.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #368 of 1,324

Quote:
I'm so excited to get mine! Gonna be my first amp / DAC!

I'm so excited to get mine as well, since it's also going to be my first DAC.  Just got my shipping confirmation a few days ago, can't wait!

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #370 of 1,324
Question about powering the E10: I have a converter that I think I got with a phone that allows a normal USB plug to be plugged into it, and it plugs directly into the wall outlet. I use this for charging my phone/kindle/zune since they all use USB. Would this thing be powered by it? I'm just talking about the amplifier here...

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #372 of 1,324

Quote:
Question about powering the E10: I have a converter that I think I got with a phone that allows a normal USB plug to be plugged into it, and it plugs directly into the wall outlet. I use this for charging my phone/kindle/zune since they all use USB. Would this thing be powered by it? I'm just talking about the amplifier here...

Yes, theoretically it could power it. However, since the E10 only has audio-in via the USB port, what would you amplify/listen to then? The AC(/DC
devil_face.gif
)?

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #373 of 1,324
I missed the audio through USB only part.. either that or I want to amplify the silence 
ph34r.gif
.. thanks for the answers

Quote:
... and what would you be listening to exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, theoretically it could power it. However, since the E10 only has audio-in via the USB port, what would you amplify/listen to then? The AC(/DC
devil_face.gif
)?

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #375 of 1,324

Quote:
How big of a difference do you guys notice off the DAC from an integrated laptop soundcard? Is it subtle or mind-blowingly better?

I'm having a hard time justifying an $80 purchase to use with my $120 HD 558s but the curiousity is killing me.

I guess it would depend on your soundcard, but...the improvement is worth the $80 IMO. 

I wouldn't call it mind-blowing, but its definitely noticeable.  Things sound cleaner, clearer, more open, tighter bass, bigger soundstage, etc.  Its like your un-bottle-necking the sound.  And I noticed the improvement with all my headphones, even my KSC75 got clearer with a bigger soundstage, so the 558s would surely benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back