IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
May 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #46 of 199
The MD's are a definate step up over the Copper's, they have a very similar sound signature obviously but have more impactful and better sub-bass.  I think the highs of each are nearly identical with the MD's having a much more fuller sound....I am currently constructing an in-depth review of all the TBP's vs. IE8 with various sources...labtop, P51, Arrow, Picoslim, iPhone, iPod, two diff. LODS (ALO, Twisted cables) and whatever else I can think of.  It's finals for me and I'm done the 13th, after that I should have enough time to put in the effort this type of review needs.  I feel the only thing the IE8 does better than any of the TBP line is it's dynamic soundstage.  But that's about it IMO, after EQing the IE8 sounds much better but I have found that any of the TBP's don't need it.  Also the TBP's seem to respond somewhat better to an amp in comparison to the IE8.  I might include the Westone 3 in the review but sold mine, I think they should be included but they are BA driven and I think that information can be found multiple places on this forum.  Anyways, my recommendation for the OP is to get the TBP, any of them, their are great deals for them if you look hard enough and they haven't been out long enough for Japan to make fakes.  Unlike the IE8 which has a huge issue with that, I got a fake pair once and think a lot of people have gotten fakes and dismissed them because of this.  Don't get me wrong, I love my IE8, but I feel the TBP is a more viable option.  I'll link my review upon completion.

May 6, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #47 of 199
beyersmile.png

I didn't c the OP got the Copper's, good choice man.  You will not be dissappointed and they only get better with time, trust me.  Do you have an amp?  I think that is your next step if you have yet to embark in the portable amp arena. 

May 6, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #48 of 199

Quote:
Isolation is not the best on the ie8 as it sits just inside the ear cannels and does not always feel like a secure fit for some people,but if you can get hold of a set of the monster large triple flange tips they fit the ie8 and increase isolation and give a deep secure fit without eny negtive impact on the sound apart from narrowing the soundstage just a bit.

I agree with lucozade on the triple flange tips.  I don't like what it does to the soundstage. The one major advantage of the IE8 is how it makes music sound like its around your head and not right in the middle of it. Like a full sized headphone.  Isolation is a sacrifice, but then you could always go with the Monsters.

May 6, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #49 of 199
I find the soundtage to be the best with the MD's out of all of the TBP's, not quite what the IE8 has, but I think the overall SQ and fullness in sound makes the MD a better overall IEM.  But the IE8 is something that, when EQed properly, can sound unbelievable.  I just don't like messing around with EQing since I only have Apple PMP's.  But I love bass, and I didn't find the IE8 to have enough of it for me....if you want bass then go with the Hippo VB.  It does have harsh highs/mids, but not too harsh, for the price it is the best bang for your buck.  I think I need to try more tip mods, I'll give the triple-flange I try but never have been a fan, I am currently using the TX400 but will probably mod it and put a silicone tip over it.

May 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #50 of 199
^
really? I found the stage of the MD's to be more upfront than a large stage mostly due to the forward nature of the mids.

May 6, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 199
It depends on the player and amp being used as far as volume settings are concerned.
If you ran a HiFiMan into an amp, you wouldnt want to max it out because HiFiMan is amped already.
The Fiio E5 cant handle high inputs because they clip out and distort.
For that amp id turn the E5 to max and use the players volume control.
Also when wanting to conserve the battery life of the player on a long trip, do the same.
But yes, most do sound better maxxed volume or 85% into the amp.

I love my MTPG's.   I was never really an IEM guy, but after hearing them, i listen to them alot more.  The coppers were also great when i heard them, but it was hours between them and i couldnt tell you which i liked better. All i can say is im happy with the Golds.

The Turbine Pros deserve much better than the E5. 
Id rather go ampless than use the E5 on something like Turbine Pros honestly.

May 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM Post #52 of 199
I find all the MTP's have great synergy with the P51, as for the MD's I really thought they had a wide fullness sound to them.  I'm actually switching between my IE8 and MD now, maybe the IE8 has better soundstage but I get absolutely lost in all genres of music with my MD's.  Honestly, they are incredible...whether is be Jazz, some Jack Johnson, Classical, Rap, Hip-Hop, new age.  They are by far my favorite universal IEM.

May 6, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #53 of 199
I agree with rawrster. Due to its forward mid, it's more of a intimate listening. As for better, I won't say which one is better, but IE8 has a wider soundstage. MD is just like what the name suggest, it puts you in a jazz club (meant for jazz anyway). But so far, for me the FX is better than both IE8 and MD in terms of imaging. In terms of transparency, with the smallest JVC stock, the mid is as forward as MD, but it is not as warm, therefore giving it better clarity.

May 7, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #55 of 199
Haven't tried any of the JVC phones yet, about to order the HA-FX700 because I have heard great things about them.  I still think the Coppers are an improvement over the IE8, just look at all the mods out there for this IEM and you know that it needs to be tinkered with a little to get the sound you want.  Haven't found that necessary for any Monster products

May 7, 2010 at 2:05 PM Post #56 of 199
I'll say this much, I actually had to break my IE8's in without listening to them....I did not or want to do that with the TBP's.  They sounded great out of the box and just got better, the IE8 I had to leave playing for a few nights before I believed in them.

May 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #57 of 199
Well for music that shines with soundstage and doesn't emphasize vocals the Ie8 are vastly superior. Music where the vocals are emphasized and a wide soundstage isn't a must then the Monster Pro series (all of them) are superior. I have very old techno (Kraftwerk) and the ie8 sounds alot better and more exciting that the Monster Pros. But with Whitney Houston (I will always love you) the Monster Pros sound far better (even much better than the se530).

May 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #58 of 199
What about the IE8's do you like better than all the MTP's?  Other than soundstage I can't imagine the IE8's beating my MD's on techno unless the I read the IE8 signature wrong in these threads.

May 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #59 of 199
IE8 has wide soundstage, but it's only the width (as in left and right), there's not much dimension to it. From my ear, it sounds like they are using echo to make the soundstage sound bigger. At times, it's fine. But when playing music with complex passages and fast variation, it tends to lose the naturalness. MD is more intimate, and it does not sound as 'echovy' as IE8. By far, the best for my ear is  FX (open air IEM), with the most natural reverb. And the soundstage is much more 3D like, with better imaging than IE8.

May 8, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #60 of 199

Quote:
What about the IE8's do you like better than all the MTP's?  Other than soundstage I can't imagine the IE8's beating my MD's on techno unless the I read the IE8 signature wrong in these threads.

First off, just a reminder, you listen with your ears not your eyes! Those Headroom graphs really should be taken with a grain of salt. Not to mention, many of them are just wrong (Tyll has already said that the Denon D7000 graph needs to be redone).

To me, the mids are more forward on the IE8s and the treble does not seem as rolled off. The micro detail retrieval is also better. I just don't get the MTPs (neither did my brother, he returned his after 3 days). The bass on the IE8s also does not interfere with the mids like on the Monster IEMs (might account for why the mids seem recessed).

Don't get me wrong, I think that the MTPs are good, just not at their price point. Sadly, much like many of products from Monster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back