IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
Apr 8, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #32 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by cjkb90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I felt the same way initially, then I decided to leave the volume all the way up on the E5 and control the volume from my ipod/computer. Made a big difference. Also, I've heard some people say that amplifiers also need burn-in. Any truth in that?

Burn in on amps. I'm going to leave that subject alone. However turning up the E5 and controlling volume via the device is not the way to go.

The pc volume should be all the way up, on a portable about 80-85 percent of full volume. Otherwise you lose dynamic range.

That's my take on it......

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #33 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by the search never ends /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in on amps. I'm going to leave that subject alone. However turning up the E5 and controlling volume via the device is not the way to go.

The pc volume should be all the way up, on a portable about 80-85 percent of full volume. Otherwise you lose dynamic range.

Hm, didn't know that. No mention in the instructions. Is this a fact or do people take different sides on this too?

I definitely hear some crackling with the CPU at 100% and adjusting the E5

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #34 of 199
its pretty accepted. there was a link somewhere that was a really good read on it. it said something about data being lost due to a multiplication factor when source is not at max volume. typically portable is dap goes to the max volume before distortion and volume is controlled by the amp.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #35 of 199
I personally listen to some techno (and other bass heavy genres) and find the ER4 to be the best out of all the iems ive tried. Many people disagree with me however haha.

I love it mainly due to the speed of the ER4s to resolve detail. Bass tended to get heavy with other earphones like the IE8s imo

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #36 of 199
Quote:

Hm, didn't know that. No mention in the instructions. Is this a fact or do people take different sides on this too?

I definitely hear some crackling with the CPU at 100% and adjusting the E5

As far as fact....like rawster said "it's the accepted standard" facts are proven and disproven every day...So in the end, you can decide for yourself.
Headroom (if memory serves) does offer that you should have the pc volume set to max. Some others also do. Anyway, in my opinion, yes it does have a negative effect using the pc software to control volume. I wrote that based on what I believe to hear. I'm not sure about the crackling you hear on the little fiio, I've never had any crackling issues, with my pc volume set to 100 percent. Not sure why you're having that issue. I usually just set my dap's to very near max volume.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 199
Quote:

As far as fact....like rawster said "it's the accepted standard" facts are proven and disproven every day...So in the end, you can decide for yourself.
Headroom (if memory serves) does offer that you should have the pc volume set to max. Some others also do. Anyway, in my opinion, yes it does have a negative effect using the pc software to control volume. I wrote that based on what I believe to hear. I'm not sure about the crackling you hear on the little fiio, I've never had any crackling issues, with my pc volume set to 100 percent. Not sure why you're having that issue. I usually just set my dap's to very near max volume.

Ok, good to know. I don't hear any crackling when my pc's volume is set to about 80%, so I'll leave it there from now on

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #38 of 199
Quote:

I'm going for the coppers, the Miles Davis cds dont really justify the extra $100 for me. I'm hoping the FiiO E5 will do a decent job to drive them. In-ears don't usually need a bulky, expensive amplifier right?

Most iems dont need an amp but i feel most sound better with than without,but that could just be my personal preference, depending on what portable player your using the coppers may well require one to really shine .They work better with an amp if your using an ipod in my experience as they are harder to drive than most iems.

Some players have a line out dock cable which conects to a amp to get a pure signal and bypass the players internal amp and head phone socket.

Ive never tryed the fiio e5 so dont know if it will have enough power to make a difference.

Apr 8, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #39 of 199
the fii0 e5 needs burn in. When you first get it, if you use the bass switch it barely does anything. My ears tell the truth. burn in is no myth. Amps for iems are good if you want to take advantage of line out which provides a better sound,

Apr 9, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #40 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by shinobi00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the fii0 e5 needs burn in. When you first get it, if you use the bass switch it barely does anything. My ears tell the truth. burn in is no myth. Amps for iems are good if you want to take advantage of line out which provides a better sound,

Did you notice that aside from the "Flat" and "Extra Bass" settings, if you let it stay right in between it provides a different sound? I don't know exactly what it is, and it might even be a manufacturing error, but I like it.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #41 of 199
I know its more or less already been said, but the IE8 are really for a lower end, more acoustic listening experience. Monster turbines are for a high end standard consumer looking for a pair of good headphones for a bass heavy genre (pop, hip-hop, rap, tech-no).

Apr 9, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #42 of 199
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffdpmaggot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know its more or less already been said, but the IE8 are really for a lower end, more acoustic listening experience. Monster turbines are for a high end standard consumer looking for a pair of good headphones for a bass heavy genre (pop, hip-hop, rap, tech-no).

You mean Turbines or Turbine Pros? We are talking Pros here. Been seeing alot of people lumping them all together. The Pros are great for all genres, especially the Coppers and MD's.

Apr 10, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #43 of 199
Quote:

I agree with search about the volume settings on portable players, id also add that if your player supports it ,use a line out dock cable to a decent portable amp bypassing the players volume control all together and control volume via the amp,this will allow you to set the players volume control to zero prolonging the life of the players battery
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #44 of 199
So, I just got the Coppers... Pardon my French, but, DAMN!!! These things are unreal, I mean it is a big upgrade for me I guess (from my ADDIEMs) but they sound as good as my full sized Audio Technica M50s (with perhaps a bit more clarity, but the M50s also make you "feel" the bass a bit more).

Just, wow. And I had read about how much eartips matter, but it turns out I didn't even have an idea of how much they matter. Working on finding my favorite ones right now, I'd have to say the SuperTips and triple flange are winning so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back