IE8 vs. Monster Turbine Pro Copper/Gold/MD for "Techno"
May 8, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #62 of 199
Just some question to ask for MTPG/MTPC user, can the earphone be worn over-ear? I saw a review from touchmyapps and he commented that it was hard to wear over ear due to the cable. Can anyone confirm that?

And also, does the earphone gets alot of attention? I don't want ppl to be staring at my earphone everywhere I go.

May 8, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #63 of 199
Well I'm one that agrees with you on the price point. I do believe that of all the Monster earphones that I have tried all of them are priced too high. Those would be the Golds, Coppers and MD's. They are good but not competitively priced imo.

Regarding the IE8's I always thought that their bass interfered with the midrange at times. Although I haven't had an extensive time with them so I can't say for sure but that's based on most of the readings here that it does. The bass of the Golds goes into the mid range that's for sure and does sound recessed in comparison to the bass but not overly so. When you say MTP do you mean the Golds, Coppers or both since to my ears they both sound different.

May 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #64 of 199

Quote:
First off, just a reminder, you listen with your ears not your eyes! Those Headroom graphs really should be taken with a grain of salt. Not to mention, many of them are just wrong (Tyll has already said that the Denon D7000 graph needs to be redone).

To me, the mids are more forward on the IE8s and the treble does not seem as rolled off. The micro detail retrieval is also better. I just don't get the MTPs (neither did my brother, he returned his after 3 days). The bass on the IE8s also does not interfere with the mids like on the Monster IEMs (might account for why the mids seem recessed).

Don't get me wrong, I think that the MTPs are good, just not at their price point. Sadly, much like many of products from Monster.

You sound like you are talking about the Golds.  If you have heard the Coppers and MD's I don't think you would be bundling them together, they are quite different.  As for price, the Coppers retailed for $380 and MD's $400 but the Coppers went for $174 from Dell and i got my MD's for $240 NIB full warranty tax and shipping free.  There are also quite a number that bailed on the IE8's for the Coppers and MD's.  I'll just about bet you both my kidneys the IE8's cant touch my MD's mids.  

Quote:
Just some question to ask for MTPG/MTPC user, can the earphone be worn over-ear? I saw a review from touchmyapps and he commented that it was hard to wear over ear due to the cable. Can anyone confirm that?

And also, does the earphone gets alot of attention? I don't want ppl to be staring at my earphone everywhere I go.

U can wear them over ear w/ or w/o guides.  I just got some silicone guides from Audeoworld, absolutely fantastic!

http://store.audeoworld.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=audeoworld&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=208675563&Count2=125815987&ProductID=6&Target=products.asp&mdr=default

May 8, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #65 of 199

Quote:
You sound like you are talking about the Golds.  If you have heard the Coppers and MD's I don't think you would be bundling them together, they are quite different.  As for price, the Coppers retailed for $380 and MD's $400 but the Coppers went for $174 from Dell and i got my MD's for $240 NIB full warranty tax and shipping free.  There are also quite a number that bailed on the IE8's for the Coppers and MD's.  I'll just about bet you both my kidneys the IE8's cant touch my MD's mids.  

To confirm, you are correct I was speaking of the Golds. I have also heard the Coppers and they were definitely better and at $174 and $240 they were both great deals indeed. Nice score!

I would bet you both of your kidneys though that your MDs mids can't touch the SE530's mids (the best of any IEM bar none of all the IEMs I've ever heard to date).
smile.gif

About the IE8s, I would hold off on betting body parts until you've actually heard them. You might be surprised.

May 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #66 of 199

Quote:

To confirm, you are correct I was speaking of the Golds. I have also heard the Coppers and they were definitely better and at $174 and $240 they were both great deals indeed. Nice score!

I would bet you both of your kidneys though that your MDs mids can't touch the SE530's mids (the best of any IEM bar none of all the IEMs I've ever heard to date).
smile.gif

About the IE8s, I would hold off on betting body parts until you've actually heard them. You might be surprised.

I dunno, I've seen some put the MD's at a push w/ the 530's w/ perhaps a different presentation.  I haven't listened to the 530's in about a year so.  As for the IE8, I feel safe my kidneys are fine judging by the number of converts and IE8's put up FS.  
wink_face.gif
tongue_smile.gif
I know about 6-8 people that hear sound the same way I do and have complete faith and understanding of how they represented the IE8's.  Unlike the portable DAP threads, the people here in the IEM thread are pretty damned good at reaching consensus on various atributes of SQ.  

May 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #67 of 199

Quote:
 the people here in the IEM thread are pretty damned good at reaching consensus on various atributes of SQ.  

LOL...
biggrin.gif

Sorry, that comment made me laugh, I have yet to find that consensus.

Just my experience with actually hearing the Monster Coppers and IE8s back to back, I am definitely still not a convert to Monster. You might want to go over to the IE8 appreciation thread for some alternate views.
wink_face.gif

My one recommendation to a new head-fier would be to trust your ears and not read only Headroom graphs and other people's opinions (you know what they say about opinions...). Get out there and expand beyond the Monster brand offering, you might be suprised. Let your ears guide your wallet.

Peace.

May 8, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #68 of 199

Quote:
LOL...
biggrin.gif

Sorry, that comment made me laugh, I have yet to find that consensus.

Just my experience with actually hearing the Monster Coppers and IE8s back to back, I am definitely still not a convert to Monster. You might want to go over to the IE8 appreciation thread for some alternate views.
wink_face.gif

My one recommendation to a new head-fier would be to trust your ears and not read only Headroom graphs and other people's opinions (you know what they say about opinions...). Get out there and expand beyond the Monster brand offering, you might be suprised. Let your ears guide your wallet.

Peace.

NP, I have heard the entire Shure iem line (used them for 4 years), GR8's, Ety 4p and 4s, all monster pros and a mix of Sennheiser headphones and IEM's.  I don't do graphs, I think thats the forte of 530 owners not monster owners.  The consensus I referred to was the 6-8 people I said hear sound the same way I do, not that I take an opinion as gospel.  New head-fier does not equate to new to audio as well, but thx.  I'll try to use my ears rather then let people tell me what sounds good.  
tongue_smile.gif

Peace back.  
wink_face.gif

May 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #69 of 199

Quote:
What about the IE8's do you like better than all the MTP's?  Other than soundstage I can't imagine the IE8's beating my MD's on techno unless the I read the IE8 signature wrong in these threads.

Soundstage is everything when listening to certain songs. The bass is better to me on the ie8 on most songs (not all). Many people disagree here though. It all depends on the songs. I don't listen to new techno, so I don't know how that sounds. As far as old techno ( 80's and 90's) then the ie8 sounds better. But anything with vocals the Monster Pros are alot better. Some songs the monster pros are so much better I want to immediately sell the ie8 but other songs the ie8 sounds better and makes me want to keep it.

In Summary the ie8 is better in bass (more than half the time) and soundstage. The monster pros got it beat in everything else (especially mids).

May 9, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #70 of 199

Sorry, just a previous comment you made showed me that you're making judgment calls on things you've never heard:
Quote:
I can't imagine the IE8's beating my MD's on techno unless the I read the IE8 signature wrong in these threads.

I have owned many of the IEMs you've mentioned and done A-B comparisons between them (including the Monster IEMs) and the experiences really helped. I am just worried that your "hypothetical" comments could lead others into decisions without real world experience behind them.

FWIW, the ironic thing about the Monster Golds/Copper/MD IEMs for me was the tone of the trumpet. It was simply off. I've played the trumpet for more than 30 years and the timbre is simply wrong to  my ears. I listen to a lot of jazz featuring the trumpet and that's why I never became a fan of the Monster IEMs. The bass (while not as overwhelming as the Golds) still encroached too much into the mids. So they weren't the IEMs for me. The tone/timbre of the IE8s and SE530s are simply more realistic based on my experiences.

I also see a whole lot of Monster Gold/Coppers on sale in the F/S forum that would also indicate a waning FOTM status that these IEMs are having. So I don't really see a consensus.
wink.gif

I would recommend giving the W3s a try, the are the best non custom IEM I've ever heard.

May 9, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #71 of 199
Hardly a consensus then. I would take both the CK10 and e-Q7 over them..which kinda proves your point hence the " " there :)

May 9, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #72 of 199
I just want my DBA-02's  WAHHHHHHH   I'd sell my IE8, MD's and every other dynamic iem I own to keep my orto's.

EDIT:  I like my orto's  :)
EDIT#2: My orto's do techno great :)
EDIT#3  IMO bass heavy iem's ruin most techno and trance

May 9, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #73 of 199
I really suggest you find someone who has a few of these iems and try them. It's the only way you'll ever know if you'll like what you hear with the music you listen to, am I right? If not, then get ready to spend some $$$$$ questing to find the "right" sound for your ears... like I did.. haha

May 9, 2010 at 3:41 AM Post #74 of 199

Quote:
Sorry, just a previous comment you made showed me that you're making judgment calls on things you've never heard:

FWIW, the ironic thing about the Monster Golds/Copper/MD IEMs for me was the tone of the trumpet. It was simply off. I've played the trumpet for more than 30 years and the timbre is simply wrong to  my ears. I listen to a lot of jazz featuring the trumpet and that's why I never became a fan of the Monster IEMs. The bass (while not as overwhelming as the Golds) still encroached too much into the mids. So they weren't the IEMs for me. The tone/timbre of the IE8s and SE530s are simply more realistic based on my experiences.

I also see a whole lot of Monster Gold/Coppers on sale in the F/S forum that would also indicate a waning FOTM status that these IEMs are having. So I don't really see a consensus.
wink.gif

I would recommend giving the W3s a try, the are the best non custom IEM I've ever heard.

Well that explains why you have taken most of my comments out of context for a better part of the thread.  I think if you go back and reread what I have actually said in more detail you will understand my points.  And it's not 'things' I have never heard, it's the IE8's.  As they have been described by certain people that hear various qualities of sound the same way I do they are not my preference.  I don't see what your problem is with this logic.  So I should ignore the opinions of these select people (who have also AB'd their IE8's w/ various Monsters and sold them) and instead accept your opinion that the IE8 dominates Monster Coppers and MD's?  I don't have the time or inclination to listen to every IEM somebody might like when most of the reviews show they don't match my preferred signature.  By your logic the value of a review by a known reviewer would be rendered moot.  I already know you like the 530's like many here do, I however have never liked their signature.  Ergo, why would I act on your recommendation over someone that hears the same flaws in the 530?  

As for the Monsters you indicate on sale, a lot of those are from people that already sold their IE8's to get them.  The recent influx of FX700's, Radii, DBA-02's, SM3's obviously has an impact here.  I still have my MD's because I like the isolation the other dynamics mentioned here don't have and I am not a fan of BA's compared to dynamics until I see a review(s) that proves otherwise.  So there is consensus, there is a new influx of even better sounding phones.  I've mentioned on another thread the FX700's are my ideal IEM on paper and the reviews back it up, the problem for me is they are open.  FOTM is when a product doesn't live up to its representation.  FOTM is NOT when a better product comes out and people prefer it.    

You talk about timbre on Trumpet.  Well, sorry but your cherished 530's fail compared to my MD's on the timbre, decay, extension, weight of drums, piano, strings, woods and lets not even talk treble.  I haven't listened to much Jazz on my MD's to confirm your trumpet assertions, you would have to ask EricP about that.  

You really seem to be trying to prove some kind of a point largely based on a contrived understanding of my arguments.  As for the W3's, they were a consideration before I happened upon the MD's and no reviews of the W3 indicate they will give me what I get from the MD's.

You also keep bundling all the MTP's together which to me is rather suspect.  The fact that you can't pick a particular phone in your criticisms does not inspire confidence in your assertions.  That coupled w/ your complete disregard for other reviewers that share the same opinion as myself by portraying me as standing alone on Monster island in the middle of an IEM ocean.  Maybe you should peruse MD/Copper appreciation threads more.  I won't be checking the IE8 appreciation threads since I don't appreciate needing a screwdriver to 'tune' my bass or delving deep into my EQ so I can maybe enjoy them as much as my MD's.

Anyway, back to the OP.  Check out the Copper thread, they have less bass and are a fraction brighter than neutral on the high end w/ no midbass intrusions IMO.  Plus they are pretty quick.  They are the most BA like of the 3. 

May 9, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #75 of 199

Quote:
 First off, just a reminder, you listen with your ears not your eyes! Those Headroom graphs really should be taken with a grain of salt. Not to mention, many of them are just wrong (Tyll has already said that the Denon D7000 graph needs to be redone).

To me, the mids are more forward on the IE8s and the treble does not seem as rolled off. The micro detail retrieval is also better. I just don't get the MTPs (neither did my brother, he returned his after 3 days). The bass on the IE8s also does not interfere with the mids like on the Monster IEMs (might account for why the mids seem recessed).

Don't get me wrong, I think that the MTPs are good, just not at their price point. Sadly, much like many of products from Monster.

See I feel the complete opposite, I do not feel like the IE8's do anything better than the MTP line.  Any of Monster's audiophile grade IEM's destroy the IE8 in nearly everyway possible.  If you want a good bang for your buck bassy IEM go with the Gold's, if you want a better more neutral IEM that is not lacking in the lower end go with the Copper's (overall great IEM), if you want a perfect combination of the two get the MD's (by far my favorite). 

@ koonhua90: I completely agree, the IE8 has a more echo-like soundstage with too bright of a sound signature for my ears.  They have extreme issues with mid-bass and do not have any sub-bass, even with the adjustable bass maxed.  I find that even the Gold's destroy the IE8 in bass, the MD's IMHO are the best universal IEM out there and handle every genre extremely well.  That is just my ears though, but after countless hours of a-b comparison between all these IEM's I have finally decided to get rid of the IE8 because I feel it is outdated and inferior.  I even sold my Westone 3 after I got into the entire MTP line.

I also completely agree with Anaxilus in his analysis of the MD's, they truly are a marvel.  I have yet to hear the FX700's but plan a picking up a pair to do a direct comparison....but for now the MD's are the holy grail in my eyes as far as universal IEM's go.  Just look at all the extensive tip mod threads out there on the IE8 and all the EQing they need to get the best sound.  I personally prefer the more laid back, natural/realistic sound of dynamic driven IEM's.  If you want a more analytical, bright...almost too bright IMO, sound then go for the BA driven IEM's.  But in all honesty Monster Cable has gotten a bad rep for being overpriced when the Gold's are sold new for $200, Copper's for $250, MD's for $320 and all of these come with an unprecidented lifetime warranty.  They are not built out of flimsy plastic and look as if they could last generations.  Plus, asthetically, they actually look good, I had the 3 and UM3X and was almost ashamed to walk in public with them as opposed to any of the TBP's.  I actually get looks and compliments when wearing these.  This doesn't mean much though considering I would wear pink flamingos over my ears if they could reproduce or surpass the sound quality of the MD's.  I can't emphasize how much I was astonished by this product, I have yet to venture into the custom IEM world but for now I am more than satisfied with my current IEM of choice, the Turbine Pro Miles Davis' Tribues. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back