Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Dec 1, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #1,636 of 3,643
Something that beautiful should be at least $299, not $99! Regardless of how they sound.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,637 of 3,643
OK, I found an Amazon Warehouse Deal on B&O H8's, less than €300 - they're arriving tomorrow, I'll report back...

Dec 1, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,638 of 3,643
Review of AKG Y45BT & Sony MDR-10RBT

Also mentioned ... AKG K702, Beyer DT770 250 ohm, Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, Bose Soundlink Over Ear, Beats Studio (& Wireless), Sony MDR ZX 160, Sennheiser HD650 ...

So I decided I originally wanted some Bluetooth headphones, preferably for the gym and workouts, but most of the reviews didn’t boast good sound quality on the budget I was offering. So I then decided I should upgrade my out and about headphones as the SONY MDR-ZX610 have served me long enough and it’s about time I demand a better sound quality.

After reading through this thread, I decided the AKG Y45BT was going to be the best choice. They were said to be the most portable with the best sound quality for the price. The Move’s were also considered but decided to go with the AKG’s, as I also own the AKG K702 so I have more trust in the brand as those headphones are fantastic.

AKG Y45BT
On opening the box and easily connecting them to my device, it wasn’t long before I took them off due to discomfort. They were squeezing on my ears to the point they were very noticeable. Before returning them the next day, I managed to bare them long enough to get a good picture of how they sounded. The reviews of this thread were exactly right which is what I expected, but on actual listening, I didn’t like the lack of sub harmonic detail. One thing I liked about the Sony MDR ZX610 is the bouncy subs which really suits my musical tastes which makes them very fun to listen to despite the lack of high end presence and clarity. The low mids are very present, almost too powerful in fact which takes attention away from the high frequency content. Another thing I disliked about this headphone was the positioning. I was able to get more high frequency detail by moving them around my ear which was a bit annoying. My old Sony’s, I could just throw them on and they’d maintain a consistent balance while moving around and going about my daily activities. Maybe an improvement to these headphones could be bigger ear pads. The upper mids were fine, not too harsh, I could comfortably play at high volumes with no problem, but the lack of excitement didn’t make these headphones an enjoyable listen. I did try the recommended EQ notch at 2-400 Hz but didn’t really improve the balance out the box.

Sony MDR-10RBT
The Sony MDR 10RBT was another headphone I have been researching so I decided to exchange the Y45BT. Connection to mobile device was quick and easy, and are a lot more comfortable as they are over the ear fit. Before listening, I immediately switched to the atpx codec streaming for highest possible quality.

The sub harmonics are more present in this headphone but still not on the level I was hoping for compared to the ZX160 or my DT770 250. I like the high end in these, makes the music a joy to listen to. The mid range was a bit dodgy as on some tracks, it sounded a little thin, which prompted me to remember that a ‘burn in’ is recommended for these cans, however my K702’s was said to require a burn in, and after a year they still sound the same to me … or maybe my ears aren’t critical enough. At the time of writing this, they’ve been playing non-stop for about 4 hours maybe … The low mids are powerful enough for their application. I decided to download an equaliser and add up to 6db at 60 Hz on a ten band EQ, and that gave the lows the push I’d been hoping for. After this boost they certainly sound more balanced across the whole frequency spectrum and the soundstage is decent too. They don’t totally cancel out all background noise but just enough for an enjoyable listening experience on medium volumes when riding public transport or walking alongside traffic.  

Definitely worth the £100 (Argos) taking into account the design and features out the box, and with a little EQ, they’re passable for the quality I was looking for in this price range. They fit very snug on my head and I can see myself comfortably wearing these for over an hour. They aren’t geared towards sporting activities but could easily be worn on jogs or weight room sets minus the bench.

When connected through Bluetooth in the library, I’m noticing a couple of tiny drop outs but maybe that’s because there are several devices connecting through Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in close proximity. When I was commuting on public transport I didn’t notice any dropouts whatsoever.

Beats Studio (Wireless)
It seems the new Beats Studio Wireless is the new 'iPhone' of the headphone industry as all new headphones, wired and wireless are being compared to it as if it's the holy grail. I haven't had a chance to listen but I had the original Beats Studio many years back and were absolutely awful which I paid exactly £200 for. I ended up selling them for half the price just to get rid of them from my collection and save anymore embarrassment from my audiophile counterparts. This prompted me not to spend over the premium price point for a headphone that will not solely be used in the studio for mixing.

Sennheiser Momentum On Ear & Bose Soundlink Wireless & Conclusion
I also had time to check out the Sennheiser Momentum On Ear, and the Bose Soundlink Wireless in store just in case anyone is interested. The Bose is Bluetooth and the Sennheiser is wired and £100 cheaper. The Bose had a very nice low and mid range, not a totally flat response but it was hard for me to find a fault in the limited time I had with them. The Senn's also had a similar sound profile but I found them too harsh in the upper mids at high volumes and only a slight dip in lows and subs compared to the Bose, but you'd have to be listening very critically to notice. I’m not sure I’d pay over £200 for the Bose though. I’m happy with these Sony’s and if I was to spend £200 on a headphone it would definitely be the HD650 which is next on my wish list and NOT a consumer grade, portable headphone. And then will come the HD800.

Sorry for any ramble. Hope this helps anyone.

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #1,639 of 3,643
Well, the Bose I ordered even though telling me in stock when I ordered them (from tigerdrect who is usually on point with this kind of stuff) now tell me are backordered. I am considering canceling the order and looking elsewhere and the B&O H7's have made it onto my radar though would be a lot more expensive.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #1,640 of 3,643
Okay so I ordered a pair of Bose Soundlink II overear BT and they accidentally sent me a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700's. I spoke to the seller and they said I can either keep the JBL's or return them for the Bose. The one issue is that I can't open the JBL's if I plan on returning them.

I had Bose AE2 wired headphones in the past and was satisfied with the sound. I'm 48 so loud is not necessarily important as long as it is loud enough to enjoy the music. Certainly noise cancelling would be nice but with over ear headphones it may not be the end all be all as I have seen many comments saying that the complete silence can be irritating.

Size and weight are definitely an issue as well as features and performance. I will mostly be using this with a Galaxy S5 and an iPad mini.

Any thoughts?

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #1,641 of 3,643
I just received my V Moda Crossfade Wireless in Gunmetal black today and have to say they're pretty good. The sound reminds me quite a lot of the UE9000 with heaps of clout and sub bass rumble. Where they differ I think is in the top end where there is quite a sparkle which resolves more finer details than the 9000's. Still don't think they have quite the same air and soundstage of the AKG K845BT but I think the XL pads will fix that. They come really nicely packaged with some great accessories so at $200 I think they have to represent some of the best bang for buck around at the moment. Well worth an audition if you get the chance.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #1,642 of 3,643
  Okay so I ordered a pair of Bose Soundlink II overear BT and they accidentally sent me a pair of JBL Everest Elite 700's. I spoke to the seller and they said I can either keep the JBL's or return them for the Bose. The one issue is that I can't open the JBL's if I plan on returning them.

I had Bose AE2 wired headphones in the past and was satisfied with the sound. I'm 48 so loud is not necessarily important as long as it is loud enough to enjoy the music. Certainly noise cancelling would be nice but with over ear headphones it may not be the end all be all as I have seen many comments saying that the complete silence can be irritating.

Size and weight are definitely an issue as well as features and performance. I will mostly be using this with a Galaxy S5 and an iPad mini.

Any thoughts?

I think its all what your prefer the JBLs are more bulky for sure and if your using them as an on the go headphone that matters to me not sure if its an issue for you. As far as sound JimReviewRoom as a review up for them so you can take a peak at that. 

I am still torn on canceling my bose order I got them for about $200 which I think is a steal but waiting on the backorder is going to be a pain I did find a openbox set of the H7's for about $100 off which are a little interesting. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,643 of 3,643
Well I ended up canceling my order after another call because they had no ETA at all when they would restock the item now I dont know if I am going to ocnsider alternatives again or just order the bose at retail cost from a more reliable place. 

Dec 2, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #1,644 of 3,643
i gave the BBpro another listen, have decided to strike it off my list
becos when the ANC is activated, that subvibration ( to cancel out ambient noise i suppose)
is getting to me...

so the race is down to the Def Tech Sym 1...and my will/wallet. :p
( B&O H8 is a disssstant 3rd option )

Dec 3, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,645 of 3,643
becos when the ANC is activated, that subvibration ( to cancel out ambient noise i suppose)
is getting to me...

Is there anything holding you back from giving the Symphony 1 a go until now (other than the price)?

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #1,646 of 3,643
it isnt the price...it is my bank account  :p

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,648 of 3,643
I was just checking these out on Amazon. $239 open box. Like new. Not a bad price if they are that good. Would you guys trust used headphones? I'm on the fence about it myself.

I trust used headphones, especially from a place with such a great return policy as Amazon. I find it useful to ask, in a non-threatening way, for the seller to list all things that would keep the headphone from being in New condition. Besides, such headphones are usually burned in and what you hear is what you will continue to get.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #1,649 of 3,643
is getting to me...

Shame after hearing your earlier comments about the backbeats I'd put them on my wishlist as one to try. Especially at that price.

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #1,650 of 3,643
I was just checking these out on Amazon. $239 open box. Like new. Not a bad price if they are that good. Would you guys trust used headphones? I'm on the fence about it myself.

I nearly always buy used and have not experienced any problems to date (touch wood) The savings on retail can be phenomenal aswell with a bit of patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back