Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones - post your own comparisons here
Nov 28, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #1,621 of 3,643
It seems like there is no perfect option for me as I want something with higher audio quality and ANC (I have a feeling the 770BN's wont live upto the audio quality I am after) and like you said the Bose, MDR-1ABT, and many others lack the ANC I am after. 

Have you considered the Denon AH GC20? I'm not sure if you will dig the looks and I'm not too sure how they sound but they seem to fit all your criteria. Can't think of anything else that matches everything aside from the Zik which you have already mentioned and it's not really over ear.

Nov 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #1,622 of 3,643

Have you considered the Denon AH GC20? I'm not sure if you will dig the looks and I'm not too sure how they sound but they seem to fit all your criteria. Can't think of anything else that matches everything aside from the Zik which you have already mentioned and it's not really over ear.

I did see the Denon's and they are interesting, looks wise they are a little bulky but not as muuvh as the BackBeats I had just seen questionable build quality with those in one post and also have not seen much about the sound wise. 

Nov 28, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,623 of 3,643
Going by memory (it's been a little while since I owned the Plantronic's) I would say that with Bass Boost off on the 950's (after mods) and ANC active on the Plantronic's, that the Plantronic's would have a slightly richer, fuller sound, a better soundstage, more bass and more forward mid/highs. There's a significant difference on the Plantronic's with ANC off/on, with ANC off they sound a little flat/lifeless but with ANC active they sound much richer and the bass improves a lot! The only problem is that by turning ANC on it introduces noticeable hiss, although while the music is playing it shouldn't be too noticeable!

You stated that you will mainly be listening to Classic Rock/Alternative/Indie, so I had a bit of more of a listen to this style of music using the 950's with Bass Boost off/on and it confirmed what I thought. The 950's sound great with EDM, Hip Hop etc whether you use Bass Boost or not, and they're great for Movies which is what I mainly use them for! However, although they still sound very good while listening to Classic Rock/Alternative/Indie, other headphones more suited to this style will sound better which is why I said the Plantronic's might be good for you.

The MDR-10RBT's are lower down in the Sony's range. The MDR-1RBT's were higher in the range with improved sound quality, the MDR-1RBT mkII's were better still and at one point considered on of the best Bluetooth headphones around, despite being almost impossible to get hold of! Where the 1RBT mkII's were lacking were in the bass department and this is where the 1ABT's have improved the Sony's range even further, by taking all the great things about the 1RBT mkII's and significantly improving the bass! This is where the XB950's are so great, they still have the improved sound quality of the higher end models but at a fraction of the price, you just need to remember that they serve a specific purpose and that's to provide lots of bass which ultimately won't suit every style!

Thank you for all your help! I think I've decided on the Backbeat Pro's!

Nov 28, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,624 of 3,643
So I ended up going with the  Bose SoundLink Around-ear Wireless Headphone II

Found an awesome deal on the Bose SoundLink Around-ear Wireless Headphone II if you are a BoA Debit or credit card holder for $204.01 w/Free Shipping - TigerDirect (With Visa Checkout and BoA Cashback)

Headphones: 279.99  
$25 Off Visa Checkout Promo
$50.99 20% BoA Cashback
Total cost $204.01

Never really been a Bose person but they do seem to be reviewed well I took a long hard look at the Sony MDR-A1BT but everything I read seems to agree they have very bad sound isolation while the Bose seem to be above average and if I couldn't find something that fit my exact criteria these seemed to be a great deal after discounts. figured I would post it up here for anyone looking to pick up a pair of Bluetooth headphones. 

Link to Headphones: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sdtid=8289947&EdpNo=9894366&CatId=6090&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=lw9MynSeamY&AffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-DSTCrb.jmv6BbidIaKm19A

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #1,626 of 3,643
  Any experience with the Sony MDRZX770BN not much in this thread about them but they seem to have everything at a little over the $200 mark. These might actually be a little cheap for me as I do want good sound but on paper they do sure look good who knows about on ear though.

I do know I said I want a business look but maybe that wasn't the right words to use I really want something more sleek and streamlined but also unassuming (any of the sony would be a perfect example of this) The plantronics while I know would fit the bill are just to bulky and to much function over form for me to consider them for wearing on a daily commute. 

It seems like there is no perfect option for me as I want something with higher audio quality and ANC (I have a feeling the 770BN's wont live upto the audio quality I am after) and like you said the Bose, MDR-1ABT, and many others lack the ANC I am after. 

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Sony MDR-ZX770BN but I see you've now bought the Bose SoundLink's!....I don't have experience with any of the Bose headphones either but I hope you really enjoy them!

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #1,627 of 3,643

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the Sony MDR-ZX770BN but I see you've now bought the Bose SoundLink's!....I don't have experience with any of the Bose headphones either but I hope you really enjoy them!

yea, they were just too good of a deal to pass up. I liked the specs of the MDR-1ABT's alot and as I said have never been a fan of the bose brand just the lack of any kind of isolation on the sony's is what held me back on those. 

They just seemed to fit the bill best unless I wanted to bump my budget up for the momentums which I didn't wanna do hopefully I made the right choice.

Nov 29, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,628 of 3,643
Bought the Bose 25, compared it to my Ultrasone, returned the Bose
Bought the dr dre, compared it to my ultrasone, returned the Dre.
Bought the ... Returned it...

Today I bought the new Philips shb 9850nc.
It's a little sad becuse I want a pair of wireless headphones, but they dont sound good :frowning2:

The shb 9850 has a really ugly sound down Low, when using NC, like all of the others.
The sound is not clear.

ofcourse, the sound is good compare to many headphones.
Compared to the iPhone headphone....

Maybe I should not have bought the ultrasone :frowning2:

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #1,629 of 3,643
Bought the Bose 25, compared it to my Ultrasone, returned the Bose
Bought the dr dre, compared it to my ultrasone, returned the Dre.

Today I bought the new Philips shb 9850nc.
It's a little sad becuse I want a pair of wireless headphones, but they dont sound good
frown.gif

The shb 9850 has a really ugly sound down Low, when using NC, like all of the others.
The sound is not clear.

ofcourse, the sound is good compare to many headphones.
Compared to the iPhone headphone....

Maybe I should not have bought the ultrasone
frown.gif

Wow the Philips SHB-9850NC sure do look interesting sad that they didnt live up to your expectations. I might have to pick up a apir and audition them with the Bose I bought if for nothing else they are another new option with ANC. First I have seen any mention of the Philips can not much online about them either they must be brand new.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHB9850NC_27/wireless-noise-canceling-headphones

Nov 29, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #1,630 of 3,643
yea, they were just too good of a deal to pass up. I liked the specs of the MDR-1ABT's alot and as I said have never been a fan of the bose brand just the lack of any kind of isolation on the sony's is what held me back on those. 

They just seemed to fit the bill best unless I wanted to bump my budget up for the momentums which I didn't wanna do hopefully I made the right choice.

I never really tested the isolation on the 1abt's but it surprises me that they're not very good in that department as I found the isolation and leakage very good on the Sony xb950's and they have very similar pads!

I would love to try the Momentum's myself but I just can't justify the cost!

If you get the opportunity to audition the 1abts you should definitely try them as they really do have an incredible sound and the isolation may not be as bad as you think?

I'm guessing your not from the UK but they've just dropped the price over here, so even if you took advantage of Amazons hassle free returns policy it might be worth trying them?

I hope your happy with the Bose but it's food for thought!

Nov 29, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #1,631 of 3,643
I never really tested the isolation on the 1abt's but it surprises me that they're not very good in that department as I found the isolation and leakage very good on the Sony xb950's and they have very similar pads!

I would love to try the Momentum's myself but I just can't justify the cost!

If you get the opportunity to audition the 1abts you should definitely try them as they really do have an incredible sound and the isolation may not be as bad as you think?

I'm guessing your not from the UK but they've just dropped the price over here, so even if you took advantage of Amazons hassle free returns policy it might be worth trying them?

I hope your happy with the Bose but it's food for thought!

yeah seen a view youtube videos on the 1A's and 1ABT's and they played the headphones while they were wearing them and you could really hear the music then also read reports on not so great isolation. When I ride the train home and am mostly on the quiet car and people get really annoyed with you if you talk on the phone or others can hear your music. 

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #1,633 of 3,643
yeah seen a view youtube videos on the 1A's and 1ABT's and they played the headphones while they were wearing them and you could really hear the music then also read reports on not so great isolation. When I ride the train home and am mostly on the quiet car and people get really annoyed with you if you talk on the phone or others can hear your music. 

Interesting to hear. It's a shame as they're great headphones otherwise!

Nov 30, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #1,634 of 3,643

Users who are viewing this thread

Back