HM-901
Aug 14, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #1,441 of 3,522
The exploding charger was a bit misleading.
I read the original post- the owner mistakenly short the output plug while charger was on and damaged the output bit of wire. But the charger was still working all right after the short. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #1,443 of 3,522
The build quality and the sound quality are pretty nice.

The ui and usability however is a ridiculous step backwards. Where's the USB in? Where's the mini to mini line out? Why does my hm901 stutter when changing between directories and loading files, cut off before the end of songs, and start a few seconds late? Why can't I remove the headphones from the balanced input without apparently destroying my headphones? Why does my player hang from time to time, when my hm801 never did?

Abt the only improvement in ui and usability I see is that the line out is now on the bottom rather than on the side. The charger is also smaller, although that's a mixed bag because it doesn't look like the linear power supply charger my hm801 came with.

Overall a nice product, but I was among the first batches of hm801 purchasers and had none of these problems. This from a world-class ui designer just sounds crazy. It's not that complicated- when in doubt, make everything load fast and not hang.

Sigh. It sounds very good tho.

Aug 14, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #1,444 of 3,522
Does anyone have any info about the Docking station? All I know about it so far is to use the HM-901 as a USB DAC however, does it charge the HM-901 too? Could I use it for mounting the inserted SD Card too? Finally, when is it available?

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #1,445 of 3,522
about $2 per hour, from what I've heard....    
cool.gif

Quote:
Does anyone have any info about the Docking station? does it charge the HM-901 too? 

Aug 14, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #1,447 of 3,522
Neither! You have to use their proprietary dock out to mini. Which some of us don't even have cos hifiman didn't include it..

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #1,449 of 3,522
So I asked Hifiman, and they asked me to purchase the cable dock to mini cable for an addition US$40.

Sigh.. And btw, does anyone have an extra battery? What's the point of having one, if I can't charge and play the player at once, and I can't charge it externally?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #1,450 of 3,522
The UI doesn't look bad... It just needs some more polishing and tweaking to make it run much faster on HM-901. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,452 of 3,522
Quote:
Is it as simple and fast as that demo (flash I think) they gave? If so I don't see it being such an issue then.

Despite having physical buttons, the scroll wheel seem to lag or "skip" (i.e. if you turn too fast, nothing happens). There's lag in the physical pause/FF/RW buttons pressed too. Personally for me, I think the DX100 1.42 or anything above 1.27 possibly) responds faster. Having said that, I don't really flick around so much and once it plays, I just let it play so it hasn't bugged me so much.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #1,453 of 3,522
Quote:

Despite having physical buttons, the scroll wheel seem to lag or "skip" (i.e. if you turn too fast, nothing happens). There's lag in the physical pause/FF/RW buttons pressed too. Personally for me, I think the DX100 1.42 or anything above 1.27 possibly) responds faster. Having said that, I don't really flick around so much and once it plays, I just let it play so it hasn't bugged me so much.

I feel exactly the same. My HM801 responds faster. I wish they had just taken away the bells and whistles (eg. nice 'look and feel') and just made the processor focus on fast navigation. This is kinda disappointing..

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #1,454 of 3,522
Quote:

Wow that's a bit disappointing. I was expecting the UI to work as well as their demo. Especially with the amount of time they took to come to market with it.... Well maybe down the line they'll get all the bugs sorted and it will be as responsive as the demo indicates...

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,455 of 3,522
Wow that's a bit disappointing. I was expecting the UI to work as well as their demo. Especially with the amount of time they took to come to market with it.... Well maybe down the line they'll get all the bugs sorted and it will be as responsive as the demo indicates...

I dunno, don't find it that sluggish unless playing large/long hi res music files where it does boggle down a bit. Overall still feel better than dx100 on 1.2.7. Maybe I m using folder view mostly. Artist/album/genre etc are too unwieldy long on my 128g sd card already. YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back