HM-901
Aug 9, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #1,411 of 3,522
It comes on top of the balanced amp. I have made an official inquiry about it. If I had to guess its just that if you switch regular headphones to IEM and forget to change the volume, you can overdrive and damage the IEMs.

Other than that, I don't buy the rest of the theories above.

The photo shows the polarity of the trrs conector used by HiFiMAN.
Then, completely plugged we had this disgram:

R-/R-
L-/L-
R+/R+
L+/L+

At the fist step of unplugging we had:

R-/L-
L-/R+
R+/L+
L+

At the second step of unplugging we had:

R-/R+
L-/L+
R+
L+

At the third, and last, step of unplugging we had:

R-/L+
L-
R+
L+

Well, I'm not expert but the second step of unplugging looks to me like a short circuit. This is what I think the warning means about not plug or unplug headphones with the HM901 on while using the balanced card in balanced mode, cos you csn cause a short circuit and damage your headphones.

Aug 9, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #1,412 of 3,522
Quote:
I wouldn't say so yet... But I am getting an impression of this type, yes. However, for some reason I do not find the HM-901 to be super-detailed on its own, nor the DX100; or am I just being too picky... Though to be honest I cannot find a better portable DAP producing better detail than the two I've mentioned.

Hmm well I found the DX100 to be quite detailed. Could also be what you are pairing with it. But if you are after a totally analytical sounding DAP the Studio V 3rd ANV may be what you want. Just finding the right pairing for it is another story...

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #1,413 of 3,522
[size=13.142857551574707px]you said your reference for [/size]HM-901 was the [size=13.142857551574707px]PAcific Microsonics Model One[/size]

Can you please tell me your honest take when you compare both togheter NOW!! :)

Aug 11, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,414 of 3,522

The photo shows the polarity of the trrs conector used by HiFiMAN.
Then, completely plugged we had this disgram:

R-/R-
L-/L-
R+/R+
L+/L+

At the fist step of unplugging we had:

R-/L-
L-/R+
R+/L+
L+

At the second step of unplugging we had:

R-/R+
L-/L+
R+
L+

At the third, and last, step of unplugging we had:

R-/L+
L-
R+
L+

Well, I'm not expert but the third step looks to me like a short circuit. This is what I think the warning means about not plug or unplug headphones with the HM901 on while using the balanced card in balanced mode, cos you csn cause a short circuit and damage your headphones.

Ah I'm talking about normal mode! I don't see how switching two single ended connectors would cause any issue other than over driving them.

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #1,415 of 3,522
Ah I'm talking about normal mode! I don't see how switching two single ended connectors would cause any issue other than over driving them.
Exactly. The warning is just for the balanced card, about don't plug or unplug the headphones while running in balanced mode and also to keep the switch in SE mode while using unbalanced headphones with the balanced card.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #1,416 of 3,522
Exactly. The warning is just for the balanced card, about don't plug or unplug the headphones while running in balanced mode and also to keep the switch in SE mode while using unbalanced headphones with the balanced card.

Yeah so we are in violent agreement. Stop that! :)

If you run in SE mode, you're good!

Aug 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,420 of 3,522
Pleasure,happy listening, just hope my choice which was a difficult one, to choose between the ak 120 and the 901 was the right one.The power output of the 901 and arguably better chipset won me over. Now bring on the dsd playback

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #1,421 of 3,522
Quote:
Pleasure,happy listening, just hope my choice which was a difficult one, to choose between the ak 120 and the 901 was the right one.The power output of the 901 and arguably better chipset won me over. Now bring on the dsd playback

Yes. With DSD playback I think the HM-901 will be some-what formidable and will be able to with-stand its price point.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,422 of 3,522
I have seen several Head-Fi'ers talking about DSD playback, but how do you get a DSD file on your PC/Mac (and then SD card) in the first place? AFAIK the DSD files won't be read except on DSD players?

Aug 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #1,423 of 3,522
I have seen several Head-Fi'ers talking about DSD playback, but how do you get a DSD file on your PC/Mac (and then SD card) in the first place? AFAIK the DSD files won't be read except on DSD players?

Only a few ways:
- purchase online
- rip SACD via an old PS3 and convert into dsf/dff files
- downloads/torrent/dropbox etc

Availability is very limited....

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #1,424 of 3,522
The PS3 rip I have read about, but it's quite a tasks to go that route, I think. Download of SACD? I haven't seen any yet. I guess HDtracks and the like are in business because they know how to convert DSD to 24-bit files! (Seen many covers with DSD/SACD logo in their catalog.) Thanks for your quick reply.

Aug 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #1,425 of 3,522
The PS3 rip I have read about, but it's quite a tasks to go that route, I think. Download of SACD? I haven't seen any yet. I guess HDtracks and the like are in business because they know how to convert DSD to 24-bit files! (Seen many covers with DSD/SACD logo in their catalog.) Thanks for your quick reply.

Download of DSF/DFF files. We can also convert these into 24bit wav/flac with Korg Audiogate which is free to use as long as you allow it to auto-tweet with any valid tweeter account.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back