HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #1,021 of 1,779
I don't see anyone running around claiming Skylab's words are gospel. I haven't heard the T1 so have no opinion at all but in my limited time auditioning the HD800 I did not experience the excitement I heard when I first listened to my HE500. I am not in a position where I can have more than one ortho and while I did also try out a pair of LCD2 I think that the HiFiMan meets my ears where they like to be. More bass impact and depth with rich mids and silky treble than my RS1i. 

Although my opinion is nowhere near as informed as yours or Skylab's I also prefer them to headphones I was certain would be better and at this new price point I'm hoping it will make some other companies examine their lineups and try to compete. 

Edit:
I toned down my own rhetoric

Quote:
Just letting you guys know, not everyone believes Skylab's words to be gospel. IME, the HE-6 are significantly better than the HE-500 when properly driven (Fang isn't crazy to have created such a large price difference between the two). Also, the HE-500 fall noticeably short of the technical performance of the HD800, or even the T1s. By technical prowess in this case, I mean speed, soundstage depth, layering, imaging, microdetail retrieval and frequency extension (mainly treble).

(Judging by what Frank has said, some of these issues may have been rectified by the recent design changes)

In any case, the HE-500 are the best headphones in their price range IMO, and are very good overall. They are forgiving and consistently sound great out of even modest setups. But, lets not go overboard by claiming it to be an undisputed giant-killer...the last thing we need is more unwarranted hype around here.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,022 of 1,779

Quote:
I actually have the Denon's and feel they are quite strong for electronic music, although I have only listened to the Denon's and the Sennheiser 595.  Right now, I'm looking to get either the He-500 or the HE-6.

I haven't got the pleasure of hearing LCD-2, but from what I have gathered after reading many fellow head-fiers impressions, maybe you should also consider LCD-2. They say that their bass is better than HE-500. Of course there is a price difference, but not bigger than HE-6. I don't know if the recessed treble of the LCD-2 would be deal breaker for you, though.  

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #1,023 of 1,779
On another note...

I have been reading a lot about how the planar magnetic headphones require a high output voltage to really bring out their best and I know that I don't have the best amp to match with my new HE500s, I've been using my MAD Ear+ HD and was pleased with the sound but wanted to try and see if the LD1+ I had moved up to my bedside setup would sound better simply d/t higher output (800mW into 32 ohm vs 170mW into 32 ohm for the MAD) what I discovered is that the LD did deliver a pleasant sound but I had to turn the volume pot to approx. 3 o'clock to really feel the same impact I was getting from the MAD when I had it at 12 o'clock...why do you think that is????

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,024 of 1,779

Quote:
WHAT?!?!?!  (just kidding)

I belive skylab prefers slightly warmer sounding stuff (correct me if I am wrong, skylab) more than cold hyper analytical detail, and, as with every reviewer, it is necessary to keep the reviewers general preferences in mind... I have owned the T1 and really liked it but found it too bright in the end. Even though technically superior, I preferred the HD650. But I would gladly have kept both if it wasn't for the brightness issue - fatigue is very subjective, so don't let me scare anyone off, T1 is great. BTW, seems like some people think the HE500 to be bright sounding.

Sound signature is more than half of the game :) 

Same here. I think the Audez'e LCD-2 is better than the HD800, but that's because I don't like hyper detailed headphones as well. We all have different ears, which makes reviewing so hard for some people. One person may love, the latter may hate them.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #1,025 of 1,779
I do prefer brighter cans, so as well regarded as the HE500 is, I know the T1's tone would be more ideal to my ears. I really don't like warmth the way the majority of you do. I found the D7000 to be just ever so slightly too warm for me. I honestly thought the HE4 was technically superior to the D7000, though I preferred the fun sound of the D7000 a little more.

One headphone that is rich in warmth and mids and gets a lot of love here is the ESW9.... I HATED them. That's why I know cans like the HD650 and possibly the HE500 just wouldn't do well with me.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #1,027 of 1,779

Quote:
I do prefer brighter cans, so as well regarded as the HE500 is, I know the T1's tone would be more ideal to my ears. I really don't like warmth the way the majority of you do. I found the D7000 to be just ever so slightly too warm for me. I honestly thought the HE4 was technically superior to the D7000, though I preferred the fun sound of the D7000 a little more.
One headphone that is rich in warmth and mids and gets a lot of love here is the ESW9.... I HATED them. That's why I know cans like the HD650 and possibly the HE500 just wouldn't do well with me.

The T1 is your ticket then. The HE500 is closer in signature to the D7000 than the T1 sound. No bad choices though whatever way you go.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #1,028 of 1,779
Are the HE500 regarded as headphones with warm tonality (not talking about FR)?  I only heard them briefly, but didn't come away thinking they were very warm.

And I've read a lot of people say that the HE500 is closer to HE6 than to LCD-2 which goes with this brief impression. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #1,029 of 1,779

Quote:
Are the HE500 regarded as headphones with warm tonality (not talking about FR)?  I only heard them briefly, but didn't come away thinking they were very warm.

And I've read a lot of people say that the HE500 is closer to HE6 than to LCD-2 which goes with this brief impression. 

They sound closer to the LCD2 rich sound where the HE6 was more like my T1 when i had them. The tonality is richer than i remember the HE6 when i had owned them but the soundstage and detail is better on the HE6 and treble extension on the 6 is also more extended. But the HE500 IM0 is toward the non bright camp. A nice rich sound.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #1,030 of 1,779

Quote:
On another note...

I have been reading a lot about how the planar magnetic headphones require a high output voltage to really bring out their best and I know that I don't have the best amp to match with my new HE500s, I've been using my MAD Ear+ HD and was pleased with the sound but wanted to try and see if the LD1+ I had moved up to my bedside setup would sound better simply d/t higher output (800mW into 32 ohm vs 170mW into 32 ohm for the MAD) what I discovered is that the LD did deliver a pleasant sound but I had to turn the volume pot to approx. 3 o'clock to really feel the same impact I was getting from the MAD when I had it at 12 o'clock...why do you think that is????

Since no ones poked in on this yet, i thought i'd throw it in there that it is probably due to the gain being higher (not sure what kind of settings the MAD unit has or if it can be changed at all) but LD products are usually set to low gain out of the box, you can check the manual on how to change it if you feel you need too.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #1,031 of 1,779

Quote:

Isn't the HE-500 loaner still on? Might be worthwhile checking it out first.

Dec 18, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #1,032 of 1,779
HD800? Very non-warm. Anyway, T1 isn't warm. It's just slightly warmerish than the HD800..

Quote:

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #1,034 of 1,779

Quote:
HD800? Very non-warm. Anyway, T1 isn't warm. It's just slightly warmerish than the HD800..

The HD800 is extremely analytical and quite cold. Not warm in the slightest. Same with the T1. Not as hyper detailed, but definitely not warm.

Quote:
i dont really think the he500 is warm.. especially compared to the lcd2

That depends. I consider the LCD-2 to be slightly warm. Sure, it's detailed. But I feel like the bass adds some slight coloration and warmth to the midrange.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #1,035 of 1,779

Quote:
That depends. I consider the LCD-2 to be slightly warm. Sure, it's detailed. But I feel like the bass adds some slight coloration and warmth to the midrange.

Spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back