HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 17, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #1,006 of 1,779

Quote:
How do these do with electronic (house, dubstep, trance, etc) music?

I just listened to some samples of those genres you mentioned with my HE-500. 

First, 

Why would you listen to that crap ? :p

No I'm kidding.. 

Actually, if I were you, I'd probably go with something like D7000 instead of HE-500 for those genres. 

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #1,008 of 1,779

Quote:
I have a really serious question about the HE500.
The HE500.... the treble, smooth, or sparkly? One thing that is a definite, is that I still need some semblance of sparkle from my treble.

i would think it i has sound of drum cymbals that sound live IMO. I also listen to a hammon Organ as if there is treble issue the hammond would bring it out in the highs. The treble is clean and realistic and never harsh. Horns  sound good as does every genre I have listened too. Hope that helps

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #1,010 of 1,779

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I'm a treblehead, because I like my sparkle.

I will say the treble is not tipped. i do not consider this a bright phone with my tube amps or Pionerrs. I think the treble is not as extended as my T1 but then again my T1 is not bright in my system also but man for the bucks this headphone shines. a best but in every way at least to me they are that good. YOMV PS. I like treble also and this keeps me smiling

Dec 17, 2011 at 9:26 AM Post #1,011 of 1,779
I wish the T1 was in this price range. I'd consider it for $700 or so.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #1,014 of 1,779
Dec 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #1,015 of 1,779
They are reminiscent of a DT880 and DT990/600 hybrid. Powerful low end (sub bass) like the DT990 (slightly less), not terribly strong mid bass but good, recessed mids (but more along the lines of DT880 mids, not DT990), and energetic treble (880-esque). The bass is very well textured and quick, and presented like a basshead can without invading the details. They are bass and treble centric, which suits those genres well.

The HE4 spanks both the 880 and 990 in overall fidelity, and shouldn't be missed especially by Beyer fans. They are literally an Ortho Beyer.

That doesn't mean they are bass heavy. More like bass emphasized. They can go super low if the song asks for it. Very nice rumble. I did have it paired up with the Lyr which tends to highlight bass in a good way.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #1,016 of 1,779
"The HE-500 easily outperform the HD800, Beyer T1, Rudi Chroma MD-1, Denon D7000, Ultrasone Edition 10 or 8.  And given the HE-500's price, they have to be considered a bargain, as far as high-end headphones go".

http://www.head-fi.org/products/hifiman-he-500/reviews/5112

Quote:
Yeah, I know.
biggrin.gif

That is why it will remain a dream headphone

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #1,017 of 1,779
and Skylab's review commenting on value for money was before the $200.00 price drop. I still can't even begin to describe how much I'm loving these although I am having to buy a more powerful amp as the MAD Ear+ HD just doesn't have the output power (max is 170mW) to make them sing FWIW. I do have a LD1+ that should be putting out nearly 800mW which I will try it with just to see how much they benefit from the extra juice as I figure out which amp I'm going to invest in next (leaning towards the Lyr but may be able to get a really good price on a used EF5...)

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,018 of 1,779
Just letting you guys know, not everyone believes Skylab's words to be gospel. IME, the HE-6 are significantly better than the HE-500 when properly driven (Fang isn't crazy to have created such a large price difference between the two). Also, the HE-500 fall noticeably short of the technical performance of the HD800, or even the T1s. By technical prowess in this case, I mean speed, soundstage depth, layering, imaging, microdetail retrieval and frequency extension (mainly treble).

(Judging by what Frank has said, some of these issues may have been rectified by the recent design changes)

In any case, the HE-500 are the best headphones in their price range IMO, and are very good overall. They are forgiving and consistently sound great out of even modest setups. But, lets not go overboard by claiming it to be an undisputed giant-killer...the last thing we need is more unwarranted hype around here.

Dec 17, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #1,019 of 1,779

WHAT?!?!?!  (just kidding)
Quote:
Just letting you guys know, not everyone believes Skylab's words to be gospel....

I belive skylab prefers slightly warmer sounding stuff (correct me if I am wrong, skylab) more than cold hyper analytical detail, and, as with every reviewer, it is necessary to keep the reviewers general preferences in mind... I have owned the T1 and really liked it but found it too bright in the end. Even though technically superior, I preferred the HD650. But I would gladly have kept both if it wasn't for the brightness issue - fatigue is very subjective, so don't let me scare anyone off, T1 is great. BTW, seems like some people think the HE500 to be bright sounding.

Sound signature is more than half of the game :) 

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #1,020 of 1,779

Quote:
I just listened to some samples of those genres you mentioned with my HE-500. 

First, 

Why would you listen to that crap ? :p

No I'm kidding.. 

Actually, if I were you, I'd probably go with something like D7000 instead of HE-500 for those genres. 

Haha.

I actually have the Denon's and feel they are quite strong for electronic music, although I have only listened to the Denon's and the Sennheiser 595.  Right now, I'm looking to get either the He-500 or the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back