HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Apr 14, 2011 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,779

WarriorAnt

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5140&p=15070&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UltraHigh-EndAudioAndHomeTheaterForum+(Ultra+High-End+Audio+and+Home+Theater+Forum)

At $899 Fang Bian's latest planar-magnetic headphone design slots between his present $699 HE-5LE and $1.199 HE-6 flagship. "It uses bigger and more complicated magnets to increase sensitivity over the HE-5LE plus a different diaphragm to improve the midrange. Sensitivity is 89dB, impedance 38 ohms. Our portable players can drive it well. The magnets are actually the same as on the HE-6. The diaphragm was modified however to provide better vocals and bass. The voice coil traces are coiled aluminum and we apply a different treatment to the surface of the HE-500's diaphragm, making it different from any of our other headphones including the HE-5, HE-5LE and HE-4."

Apr 14, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 1,779
I don't see anything mentioned on head-direct's website regarding these beauties.  I'm guessing it's coming out very soon?  Someone mentioned that these have the best mid-range ever -- even beating out the LCD-2 & R10.  Now that's got to be very interesting indeed. 

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 1,779

Quote:
http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5140&p=15070&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UltraHigh-EndAudioAndHomeTheaterForum+(Ultra+High-End+Audio+and+Home+Theater+Forum) The magnets are actually the same as on the HE-6. The diaphragm was modified however to provide better vocals and bass. The voice coil traces are coiled aluminum and we apply a different treatment to the surface of the HE-500's diaphragm, making it different from any of our other headphones including the HE-5, HE-5LE and HE-4."

Stay tuned. Next month they will be releasing the HE-600 which will be an improvement on the HE-500 and cost $999. And the month after that...

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 1,779
http://www.ultrahighendforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5140&p=15070&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UltraHigh-EndAudioAndHomeTheaterForum+(Ultra+High-End+Audio+and+Home+Theater+Forum)

At $899 Fang Bian's latest planar-magnetic headphone design slots between his present $699 HE-5LE and $1.199 HE-6 flagship. "It uses bigger and more complicated magnets to increase sensitivity over the HE-5LE plus a different diaphragm to improve the midrange. Sensitivity is 89dB, impedance 38 ohms. Our portable players can drive it well. The magnets are actually the same as on the HE-6. The diaphragm was modified however to provide better vocals and bass. The voice coil traces are coiled aluminum and we apply a different treatment to the surface of the HE-500's diaphragm, making it different from any of our other headphones including the HE-5, HE-5LE and HE-4."

This just in, the sexiest headphone line ever now has a portable version.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 1,779
Im pretty sure the SR-71B and PB2 drives the HE-6 quite well from what Jamato and a few others have said... So yep you can use it as a portable.

Quote:
Quote:
You can use any headphone as a portable if you really want to. So..... Who cares..??

Yeah, good luck using the HE 6 as a portable. lol

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #12 of 1,779
Quote:
Im pretty sure the SR-71B and PB2 drives the HE-6 quite well from what Jamato and a few others have said... So yep you can use it as a portable.

The Headstage Arrow actually drives the HE-6 quite well and even far beyond high listening levels.
So - yes, I sometimes use the Arrow with the HE-6. I actually am thinking of making a short cable with 3,5mm plug for the Arrow ...

Apr 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 1,779
HE500 is out in a week :D A little birdie dropped me an email! Well here's to hoping the info was correct!

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #14 of 1,779

Quote:
HE500 is out in a week :D A little birdie dropped me an email! Well here's to hoping the info was correct!

Will there be a special intro price?
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #15 of 1,779
From what I gather, my assumptions are...

HE-4: Bass and Treble emphasized, slight mid recession (fun, slightly v shaped)

HE-5LE/HE-6: balanced, slight treble emphasis (balanced)

HE-500: Bass and Mid emphasized compared to the treble (I assume it'll be like a higher end HD650)

Are my assumptions close to the mark?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back