HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Apr 26, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #31 of 1,779
In the end you can only trust your ears.... :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
I am getting a pair of these for review, and the main focus of the review will be to compare them to the HE-6.

Okay. I'm hyped for this review. Depending on what you think I'll probably purchase either these or the HE 6.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #33 of 1,779
Yes, Tim, I will compare to the LCD-2 a little, but since the HE-500 is supposed to be a more sensitive HE-6, I want to mostly focus on how those two compare. I love the HE-6, but they do require very different amplification from your typical headphones. It will be interesting to see what the HE-500 require, and how they sound based on that.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #34 of 1,779
Well depending on money, its safe to say the HE500 will be a fair amount cheaper then the HE-6. So your wallet wont bitch slap you to hard for saving some cash :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
In the end you can only trust your ears....
wink.gif

Quote:

Yeah, but I trust Skylab's ears enough to pass judgement.

My wallet is not going to be happy about either purchase, I'm sure.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #35 of 1,779
Well depending on money, its safe to say the HE500 will be a fair amount cheaper then the HE-6. So your wallet wont bitch slap you to hard for saving some cash :wink:

True enough. If the SQ is a bit less, but the price is a lot less, I'll probably get these. :D There's always upgardes to be had.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #36 of 1,779
Or you could just get both the LCD-2 and HE500... Then be done! Forever! Get the Mods to ban you from the forums and run for cover! :D

Quote:
True enough. If the SQ is a bit less, but the price is a lot less, I'll probably get these.
biggrin.gif
There's always upgardes to be had.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #40 of 1,779
Wow that review is very promising. That dude was making some bold statements on how well it compares to the HE-6. The price is going to be $899? Is that confirmed yet?

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #41 of 1,779
I received my review loaner of the HE-500 today.  They are definitely more sensitive than the HE-6, requiring less power for an equivalent volume level.  I won't be able to exactly quantify this, but I will try them with some of my "normal" headphone amps to see how they fair.  For today I have been running them from the headphone out of my Marantz 2275 receiver, which has far more than enough power for even the HE-6. 

Overall, the HE-500 sound excellent, as have all of the HifiMan planars, in my opinion.  The HE-500 do stroke me as having a slightly warmer overall tonal balance.  There is a little less treble energy than with the HE-6, and a little more mid-upper bass weight.  I do think that the HE-500 lack a little bit of transparency and delicacy of sound that  the HE-6 have, however.  I need to listen more to dig into this.  The HE-500 will likely be suitable for many more people than the HE-6 since they are clearly easier to drive.  And while the slightly mellower tonal balance might also appeal to some, of not most, switching back and forth several times today, given that the amp I was using can drive either very effortlessly, I would have to say I still preferred the HE-6.  I found the HE-500 to be very thoroughly enjoyable though - taken on its own it's definitely an outstanding headphone.  I also like the gun-metal grey color of the paint.

More later.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #43 of 1,779
Wow...

I see a pair of these in my future. Both Skylab and Headfonia have come to a few of the same conclusions about the sound...And the new cable is gorgeous, as well as the black headband).

Now all we need is a price point.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #44 of 1,779

Quote:
I would have to say I still preferred the HE-6.  

Headhonia : "the HE-500 is definitely the best Hifiman headphone I’ve heard"

Quote:
Wow...

I see a pair of these in my future. Both Skylab and Headfonia have come to a few of the same conclusions about the sound...And the new cable is gorgeous, as well as the black headband).

Now all we need is a price point.

They did differ on a few points tho.  Happily I'm in the HE-500 loaner program so will be able to hear them soon myself. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #45 of 1,779
I'm also not a fan of the HE-500 cable.  It's too stiff.  I prefer the cable that came with my HE-6.  By a wide margin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back