HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Apr 23, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #16 of 1,779
We'll find out. A pair is on their way here as I type. Part of the mid-US loaner program. Having the HE-6, I'll be able to do some comparisons on the portable (Xin Macro4).

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 1,779
It seems like Hifiman has an HE for all types. Those who like a 'fun' signature (HE-4), those who are sensitive to treble that like rich bass and mids (HE500), and those who like a flatter curve (HE5-LE and HE-6).

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #18 of 1,779

[size=medium]
Looks nice, looking forward to some impressions. However, this doesn't seem geared toward portable use at all to me. The picture looks open back to me which pretty much disqualifies it from being portable. It's nice that it is more along the lines of lcd2 sensitivity but it still isn't even close to being as sensitive as IEMs or closed back portables which are generally ~110 dB @ 1 mW.
[/size]

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #19 of 1,779
I will be watching the head-direct website for these :D 1st of May needs to hurry up imo.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #21 of 1,779
I heard the HE 500 prototype (called the HE-6p then) in January. It's not meant for portable systems as it's an open can and rather too large and heavy. What it is, is much more efficient then the HE5LE and the HE6. It can be run off a good portable amp but, more importantly, will sound best and can finally be fully driven by standard desk top headamps.

It was under meet conditions, I only spent a brief time with them and I have no idea what changes Fang has made since, but I found there were certainly cut from the same cloth as the HE5LE and HE6. Which is a pretty good thing.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #23 of 1,779
I have a pair of these that Fang sent me as samples for a meet I'm hosting in May.  I have done some A-B-ing with my LCD-2's and can say that the HE-500's are both efficient and good.  They are not as lush sounding as the LCD-2's, but they are very neutral through the midrange.  They are still tilted a bit toward the treble in comparison to the Audeze. They are also ruthlessly revealing of both source and amplification. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #24 of 1,779
This is what i like to hear, lush sounding can get annoying after sometime... As everything sounds to laidback, even when you dont want it to. I understand that some people prefer the Lush sound over Neutral, but i did prefer the HE-6 by a fair margin over the LCD-2 when i listened. Basically im taking a stab in the dark when the HE500 comes along, ordering it without hesitation. Fang will probably do an introduction price shipped aswell. So that will be hard to pass up seeing as the LCD-2 is over a grand shipped to Aus.

Quote:
I have a pair of these that Fang sent me as samples for a meet I'm hosting in May.  I have done some A-B-ing with my LCD-2's and can say that the HE-500's are both efficient and good.  They are not as lush sounding as the LCD-2's, but they are very neutral through the midrange.  They are still tilted a bit toward the treble in comparison to the Audeze. They are also ruthlessly revealing of both source and amplification. 

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 1,779

How would they compare to the HE-6? Do you have experience with those as well?

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #26 of 1,779
Never got to spend much time with the HE-6's.  Sorry. 

They are definitely more neutral than the HE-4's.  The midrange is more prominent.  They are not as bright as their younger sibling's, but still on the edgy side of neutral on top, IMO.  The bass is bigger on the HE-4's and on the LCD-2's, but that's not to say they are bass light.  It's extended and tight.

In the listening I did, I preferred the LCD-2's on vocal and rock, but the HE-500's on classical...the strings sounded cleaner and the imaging was better.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 1,779
I am getting a pair of these for review, and the main focus of the review will be to compare them to the HE-6.

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #29 of 1,779
Always a champ Skylab!!
popcorn.gif

I have been checking the head-direct website like a madman over the past week.

Quote:
I am getting a pair of these for review, and the main focus of the review will be to compare them to the HE-6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back