Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › HiFiMAN HE-500 › Reviews › Skylab's Review

Mini-review: HiFiMan HE-500 Planar-Magnetic Headphones

A Review On: HiFiMAN HE-500

HiFiMAN HE-500

Skylab
Posted · Updated · 19405 Views · 12 Comments

Pros: Outstanding overall performance

Cons: somewhat heavy

Mini-review: HiFiMan HE-500 Planar-Magnetic Headphones

Fang from Head-Direct was kind enough to loan me a pair of HE-500 for review.  The HE-500 are billed as a more efficient version of the HE-6, although there are some other differences, both in design and in sonics.  They are also a little different looking, in that the casing is a very nice gun-metal grey:

DSC02460.JPG

DSC02459.JPG

Taken on its own, the HE-500 are really an exceptionally good headphone.  While they still require a somewhat powerful headphone amp, I was able to drive them with no problem from the Woo WA2, WA6, Trafomatic Head One, Decware Mini-Torri, Musical Paradise MP-301 mk2, and Leben CS300XS, all without any issues.

The sound overall embodied the principle qualities I have come to love from Planar headphones - a very transparent, open, and smooth sound, that is free from the graininess that is present on even the finest of dynamic driver headphones, with the lone exception of the Sony R10.  The mids especially have a transparency that is very beguiling.  The HE-500 are very smooth sounding as well - in some ways they have the smoothest of all of the HiFiMan planars, especially in the treble.  The treble is very smooth, clean, and unfatiguing.  The mids, as mentioned, are very smooth and open, and sound very uncolored.  The bass is full, and fairly tight, with just a touch of mid-upper bass warmth.  Overall the sonic picture is quite neutral, with perhaps just a very small amount of warmth - not a bad place to be for many users.  The soundstage has very good image specificity, and depth is excellent, although it is not as wide as the very best.

All forms of music were well served, but I especially enjoyed the new CD by Alison Krauss and Union Station, which arrived about the same time as the HE-500.  Alison's delicate soprano was beautifully and accurately delivered, and the string plucking and tone were excellent.  The HE-500 also had no problem keeping up with very fast metal like Symphony X's "Sea of Lies", or complex prog-rock like in King Crimson's "Red".

Versus the HE-6, assuming one is using a powerful enough amp to drive them, I find the HE-6 to be just slightly more transparent.  Bass is slightly deeper, and slightly better defined.  The mids were just a very small amount drier, and the treble is just slightly more pronounced and seemingly extended, without being in any way edgy (although the HE-6 treble CAN be edgy without proper amplification).  If one already owns a VERY powerful amp, the HE-6 provide better absolute performance than the HE-500, IMO.  However, they are $300 more expensive, and they have much more stringent amplification requirements to achieve these results.

Compared to the LCD-2, again I very slightly prefer the LCD-2, as I find them to offer a slightly more natural sound (although the HE-500 are still excellent in that regard), and very slightly more nuanced. The LCD-2 are also just slightly more efficient than the HE-500.  But the fact is, I could live very happily with any of these three Planar headphones, and I prefer ALL three of them to any Dynamic headphone currently available.  The HE-500 easily outperform the HD800, Beyer T1, Rudi Chroma MD-1, Denon D7000, Ultrasone Edition 10 or 8.  And given the HE-500's price, they have to be considered a bargain, as far as high-end headphones go.

Mine should be here in a few days, and I'm super excited. I think these will be the last headphones I buy for a very, very long time. I'm getting to the point where I'm tired of spending money and worrying about gear. I have other things to worry about.
I just want to sit and enjoy...and I think these will allow me to do that very nicely.
Would you consider them to be of similar blood as the D7000 - i.e., smooth with slight coloration towards the bassy end -, or simply better in all aspects?
I consider them significantly better than the D7000 in all aspects (and I both own, and like, the D7000)
Strong praise indeed, I will have to try this one for myself. THanks for the heads-up on the Paper Airplane release, looks like their first one in 4 years. How do you like it?
LOVE the new AKUS - it's absolutely terrific - if you like them, I would run out to get it!
Once more impressions are put up, I might actually consider these. I just have difficulty considering any headphone better than my Denons.
I will see if my local Target has the bonus track version, if not I will pre-order the vinyl that comes out next month.
do you think this will have good synergy with the Meier Audio Corda Stepdance? and will the Stepdance have enough power to properly drive them?
I did not try the HE-500 with the Stepdance.
Nice write-up ...
I am considering one ref headphone for portable and home - can HE-500 be powered with a portable headphone amp - if yes which one ... I have the same question for LCD-2 ...
Thanks ...
Sunil
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to try the HE-500 with any portable amps before I needed to send my loaner pair back. The LCD-2 can be powered by the Meier Stepdance, but it is a pretty powerful portable. The RSA SR-71B can even power the HE-6, so it too for sure can power the HE-500 and LCD-2.
I loved the HE5 but im still looking for something that is more balanced and has smoother treble (without losing clarity and much speed).. Is this the one for me?
Thanks.. :)