HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 14, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #976 of 1,779

Are you saying that HD650 is more "edgy" than HE500? Brighter? Harsher? More treble? Which fatigues you most?

Please elaborate! 

Quote:
Interested in this too.

Quote:
Neither set is bright nor harsh, I think the HD650 bass is more splashy ( wet sounding is the best way I can describe it ) where as the HE500 is smooth, weighty and rock solid.  Neither is fatiguing, the HE500 bass just like the LCD2 bass is well...er...just how bass should sound. Thats my take on it anyway.  The HE500 trumps the HD650 in every way shape and form, it is more clear, more tonally balanced, more resolving, more detailed in every facet of sonic qualities your ears will pick up on. It is extremely evident the instant you plot the newer Orthos over your ears and try to go back to something like the HD650.  You just can't...well, at least I can't lol 

:p

It seems that I have caused an unnecessary stir. 
redface.gif

What I mean is this: HD-650 seems to my ears as having more distortion. I know this sounds silly, given the low distortion levels of HD-650, but it is how they are sounding to me compared to HE-500. This distortion gives some edginess to music like the edginess associated with rock or pop music. I cannot really explain it (and I am a technical kind of guy...).
I will try an analogy: it is like HD-650 has more ‘solid state’ type of sound where HE-500 has more ‘tube’ sound. The sound from HE-500 is more relaxed, more clear, makes me want to hear music in lesser sound levels, it calms me.
In contrast, with HD-650 I am usually hearing the same music in louder levels. With HD-650 music has more ‘edge’. By this I do not mean that it has more high frequency energy, I just mean that it is more distorted (to my ears at least).
Funny thing is that I originally choose HD-650 just for it’s mellowness. But, as they say, ‘the better is the enemy of the good’.  

In the beginning, when I was hearing music in almost the same levels, HE-500’s sound was slightly (and I mean slightly) more fatiguing. Now, that I am used to its sound and I am hearing music in lesser sound levels with it, I am finding HE-500’s sound less fatiguing. Of course physically (weight, clamp and depth of pads) HD-650 is still less fatiguing. 

I do find HD-650’s bass to be more controlled than HE-500, but in all other aspects (body, slam, extension, resolve etc) HE-500 wins HD-650’s bass easily. And I agree fully with swbf2cheater that 'HE500 trumps the HD650 in every way'.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #977 of 1,779
The HeadRoom backorder drags on...

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #978 of 1,779

Ohh... this midrange of HE-500! Voices are so engaging!
Listening now to Tord Gustavsen’s ‘Aire Angels II’: just a piano, Siri Gjære’s voice, some Rupert Brooke poetry and HE-500. 
L3000.gif

My God, I have experienced multiple eargasms and tears are running on my cheeks!
Piano and female voices are perfect through HE-500.
Cannot continue writing. Music, like a siren, is calling me! 

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #979 of 1,779

Quote:

Listening now to Tord Gustavsen’s ‘Aire Angels II’: just a piano, Siri Gjære’s voice, some Rupert Brooke poetry and HE-500. 
L3000.gif

My God, I have experienced multiple eargasms and tears are running on my cheeks!

Your Avatar looks like the pic from mike on Headfonia :wink:

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #981 of 1,779
What amp?

BTW, if your into Norwegian jazz: Try "Muggen Gallskjerm" from "Nu Jøk" by Jøkleba! (Balke, Jørgensen,Kleive). It is an amazing track for headphones and speakers with deep bass drum drums and snapping snaps and really makes great gear shine! The whole album is really great. And try som more of Jon Balke, the pianist..

Quote:

L3000.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #982 of 1,779

Quote:
What amp?

BTW, if your into Norwegian jazz: Try "Muggen Gallskjerm" from "Nu Jøk" by Jøkleba! (Balke, Jørgensen,Kleive). It is an amazing track for headphones and speakers with deep bass drum drums and snapping snaps and really makes great gear shine! The whole album is really great. And try som more of Jon Balke, the pianist..

Thanks for the tip. 
beerchug.gif
  I will... 

Dec 15, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #983 of 1,779
@ plin 1: Which amp makes your HE500 sing?

plin 1: Music - Links to sites with previews

1. Jøkleba http://itunes.apple.com/no/artist/jokleba/id436816938 
    more Jøkleba (Live) http://www.musikkonline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=11160
  2. Further, this is one of the most beautiful instrumental jazz records ever (IMO): 
    FLATEN/KORNSTAD/CHRISTENSEN: MITT HJERTE ALTID VANKER 1: 
    http://www.musikkonline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=11160
  3. If you like the above, you will also like this: 
    JON BALKE, PER JØRGENSEN, AUDUN KLEIVE: ON AND ON
    http://www.musikkonline.no/shop/displayAlbum.asp?id=15480

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. 
beerchug.gif
  I will... 

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:10 AM Post #985 of 1,779
Just got an e-mail from Head-Direct stating that the HE travel case will be available for sale from sometime next week

Dec 15, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #986 of 1,779

Quote:
Just got an e-mail from Head-Direct stating that the HE travel case will be available for sale from sometime next week

This case seems very handy. Did he told you anything about pricing?

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #988 of 1,779
No mentioning of a price but then I didn't ask about that

Quote:
This case seems very handy. Did he told you anything about pricing?

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #989 of 1,779
Been listening to HDCD Reference Recordings Classical and i can say i am getting even more impressed as to what the HE500 can do. If you want a treat the three best albums on Reference is Mephisto,Copland and Pictures at an exhibition. All done with Keith Johnson engineering and magnificent work by Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota orchestra,. these recordings have soundstage and layering like no others I own. Really a treat to listen too. i am not even using HDCD CD player and they sound fantastic

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #990 of 1,779
They sound even better on a HDCD enabled device :)

You should also try the Stravinsky Sacre, Nightingale, Firebird album

Quote:
Been listening to HDCD Reference Recordings Classical and i can say i am getting even more impressed as to what the HE500 can do. If you want a treat the three best albums on Reference is Mephisto,Copland and Pictures at an exhibition. All done with Keith Johnson engineering and magnificent work by Eiji Oue conducting the Minnesota orchestra,. these recordings have soundstage and layering like no others I own. Really a treat to listen too. i am not even using HDCD CD player and they sound fantastic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back