HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 18, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #1,036 of 1,779

Quote:

Just my 2 cents from past meets and auditions. Not everyone can trust a 16 year olds ears. 
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #1,037 of 1,779
Your ears and common sense are more important than how old you are when it comes to audio.

The LCD2 is very unique and despite being crucified for posting my thoughts in that topic that shall not be named, I really enjoyed it.  I found the coloration ideal and very enjoyable, a great natural sense of mids and highs with loads of air, but an audibly colored and rock solid bass.  The combination provides for a high fi experience that not only both fun and highly engaging, but also supremely detailed.  The Edition 8 is similar in set up but the LCD2 had the more powerful and slightly more colored bass experience.  That natural tonal flavor is ideal.  

The HE500 is a step behind with a more well rounded tonal flavor that is a bit less natural sounded but still retained enough "natural sound" to be considered a rival.  Perhaps it is simply a trait of finely tuned Orthos.  I enjoyed the LCD2 more for rock and metal, but for everything else I very much prefer the HE500.  It is the more balanced and well rounded set to my ears, a set more well tailored and suited for anything you toss at it.  I enjoyed its soundstage more despite being inferior in depth of field, the Hifiman presentation is ideal for me, its something I have craved since day 1 and just got it right, someone once said that about the HE500 a while back.  "Hifiman got the stage presentation right...its just right" And that really sums it up for me.  Hopefully sometime within the month I will be able to start my last official review on headphones.  I wanted to brandish my impressions and answer questions in regards to what amps best suit the HE500.  If all goes as planned and Dr. Fang approves my plans, I will post my review after sufficient burn in is completed

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #1,038 of 1,779

Quote:
Your ears and common sense are more important than how old you are when it comes to audio.

The LCD2 is very unique and despite being crucified for posting my thoughts in that topic that shall not be named, I really enjoyed it.  I found the coloration ideal and very enjoyable, a great natural sense of mids and highs with loads of air, but an audibly colored and rock solid bass.  The combination provides for a high fi experience that not only both fun and highly engaging, but also supremely detailed.  The Edition 8 is similar in set up but the LCD2 had the more powerful and slightly more colored bass experience.  That natural tonal flavor is ideal.  

The HE500 is a step behind with a more well rounded tonal flavor that is a bit less natural sounded but still retained enough "natural sound" to be considered a rival.  Perhaps it is simply a trait of finely tuned Orthos.  I enjoyed the LCD2 more for rock and metal, but for everything else I very much prefer the HE500.  It is the more balanced and well rounded set to my ears, a set more well tailored and suited for anything you toss at it.  I enjoyed its soundstage more despite being inferior in depth of field, the Hifiman presentation is ideal for me, its something I have craved since day 1 and just got it right, someone once said that about the HE500 a while back.  "Hifiman got the stage presentation right...its just right" And that really sums it up for me.  Hopefully sometime within the month I will be able to start my last official review on headphones.  I wanted to brandish my impressions and answer questions in regards to what amps best suit the HE500.  If all goes as planned and Dr. Fang approves my plans, I will post my review after sufficient burn in is completed

Just like what you said. Spot on. IMHO, the LCD-2 is like a gigantic leap from something like my HD650. My HD650 is very colored, with a decent amount of detail, and pretty rock solid bass. The LCD-2 has all of those characteristics, but improves on them tenfold.

Dec 18, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,039 of 1,779

Quote:
me.  Hopefully sometime within the month I will be able to start my last official review on headphones.  I wanted to brandish my impressions and answer questions in regards to what amps best suit the HE500.  If all goes as planned and Dr. Fang approves my plans, I will post my review after sufficient burn in is completed

Please do, this would be very useful. 

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #1,040 of 1,779
Yea, I will answer as many questions as I can in my review.  It will be a long read.  I have had a ton of users ask me for my impressions on the HE500 inside other another thread I posted in regards to the LCD2.  I kept getting the same questions repeatedly and I did not spend enough time with the HE500 at the time to provide these people with accurate information in regards to sound type.  You will notice few users actually describe in depth the actual sound and presentation type, what shape the soundstage is and how does it compare to other equally priced models, how it sounds out of specific gear, ect ect.  

-Mike :)

Dec 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #1,041 of 1,779

Quote:
Yea, I will answer as many questions as I can in my review.  It will be a long read.  I have had a ton of users ask me for my impressions on the HE500 inside other another thread I posted in regards to the LCD2.  I kept getting the same questions repeatedly and I did not spend enough time with the HE500 at the time to provide these people with accurate information in regards to sound type.  You will notice few users actually describe in depth the actual sound and presentation type, what shape the soundstage is and how does it compare to other equally priced models, how it sounds out of specific gear, ect ect.  

-Mike :)

Looking forward to it, Mike. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,042 of 1,779
Called HeadRoom again, to cancel. He told me to hold on because they had just filled four orders. Unfortunately MY order got leapfrogged and was not filled, and he said it would be another 10-17 days before he'd expect to be able to fill my order. So I canceled and went and ordered from Head-Direct.

I understand a back order (it was my mistake in not using Head-Direct to start with). But not updating the order status, not updating the backorder message on the site, and then losing my order and not filling it is inexcusable.

Great, now I'm backordered with Head-DIrect, no ETA. The thought is creeping into my head that I'll never hear these...

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #1,045 of 1,779

looks like they are selling many of them if all the dealers are out of stock. Try some other dealer. Maybe Moon or Todd has them

Okay, Head-Direct says it's on its way and should be delivered by the afternoon of next Friday December 30th. So two weeks from click to doorstep. I'm just glad I'll finally get to hold and wear this elusive bit of audio kit.

Thanks, yes good idea to have links to all the HE-500 reviews in this main thread. I hope to add to the opinion base and knowledge base within a couple of weeks of receiving mine.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #1,046 of 1,779

Quote:
Okay, Head-Direct says it's on its way and should be delivered by the afternoon of next Friday December 30th. So two weeks from click to doorstep. I'm just glad I'll finally get to hold and wear this elusive bit of audio kit.
Thanks, yes good idea to have links to all the HE-500 reviews in this main thread. I hope to add to the opinion base and knowledge base within a couple of weeks of receiving mine.

Great just in time for the New years Eve celebration. I am looking forward to your impressions

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #1,047 of 1,779
Got my HE-500s today! They are pretty awesome! :) Still waiting for them to burn in before forming an opinion, but liking very much what I'm hearing so far. Fortunately looks like the Lehmann BCL has more than enough grunt to power them too.

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,048 of 1,779

Quote:
Got my HE-500s today! They are pretty awesome! :) Still waiting for them to burn in before forming an opinion, but liking very much what I'm hearing so far. Fortunately looks like the Lehmann BCL has more than enough grunt to power them too.

Wish you lots of music enjoyment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back