HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #1,066 of 1,779

Quote:
The signature was an attempt at humor and to incite violence in the psyche of whoever read it :p

I have a hefty list of amplifiers that will be used, mostly portable. I am trying to land a Lyr, but that is proving much more difficult than I originally thought.  Portable amps will include the PB2, E11, Shadow, UHA4, TTVJ Slim, Pico Slim, and possibly the Mustang.  I would love a bifrost, but feel confident my E10 will provide more than an acceptable source for whatever amplifiers I end up using.  Im using the Fiio E10 right now with no extra amp on the HE500, more than enough volume but it sounds unlike my past experiences with much bigger amplification.  Very bland right now, not that much nicer than the HE300 in terms of presentation, more clear in sonics though.  The e10 surprisingly provides more volume than I am comfortable with.  

:)

Could you share some in-depth descriptions of the HE-500 when amped by the ttvj slim? I'd really appreciate that. :p

Edit: Looking forward to your review! Please post a link in this thread when it's ready. If you do want to share impressions early on about how it pairs with the TTVJ however, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case lol ).

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #1,067 of 1,779
So I got my pair from the rep today, and I noticed they've put "L" and "R" markings on the connectors instead of the previous colored stickers.  I am greatly enjoying these, although the treble needs to burn in a bit more.

And btw, the rep said hifiman is releasing HE400's eventually.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 24, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #1,070 of 1,779
I'm in love lol. Getting impressed one song after another. If I can compare this experience to when I auditioned lcd2's for an hour; I can without a doubt claim I am more wowed by the Hifiman presently. It's possible the person's set up with the lcd2's was pretty bad as he was using an expensive multi-tube amp paired with the audez'e; no synergy/ really dark and muddy. I came out of that meet preferring  old version dt880's and a modded pair of t50rp's over the audez'e... and by a long shot :S

Needless to say, I should try rev 2 and find a better pairing; but I doubt I would like its sound sig over the Hifiman's 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 24, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,071 of 1,779
Quote:
I'm thinking of purchasing the HE500.  I have the HP-P1 and SR-71A, can someone let me know if either one of these will drive/sound good with the HE500?

I have no comment about rigs, but your display picture reminded me that it was the HE-500 that made me learn to love Burial, or potentially the other way around. IMO they are the right headphones for that artist.

Dec 24, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,072 of 1,779
Hello all

I will be ordering a set of HE 500 next week and was wondering if one of the recent new owners could tell me if the current package includes a set of spare connectors for diy cable

Thanks

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #1,073 of 1,779

Mine did.
Quote:
Hello all

I will be ordering a set of HE 500 next week and was wondering if one of the recent new owners could tell me if the current package includes a set of spare connectors for diy cable

Thanks

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,075 of 1,779

Quote:
I didn't say they were better than the M50. They sound good.

I said they weren't AMTs for your head. It's my mistake. I just thought maybe they'd have that AMT-type magic, being a different technology than all the cones and domes I've listened to throughout the years. True, I said the reference drum sound appears a little better on the M50, but that's really just a frequency response thing, but the point is they both sound pretty much like regular dynamic transducers rather than like what was on the other side of the microphone. I don't get a great sense of detail, transient response that trumps the M50 or D1001 or AD700, etc.

Don't get me wrong, they're quite good and as I listen I'm sure I'll be able to point out where they trump the M50. But lots of cans and speakers can trump the M50.

Your description sounds pretty much what I experienced with some of my other amplification options here..

Initially I was a bit surprised that I didn't need to really up the gain on my Lehmann BCL, still using 10db gain here, and drove them quite loud at 1 o'clock, but sounds fantastic. So thought these weren't all that difficult to power. So then I wanted to see what my HE-500 did with the JDS Labs Cmoy and boy did it sound crap. More than enough volume for sure, but did it sounded lifeless and dull. Very odd. I'm not quite sure what kind of oomph really makes the difference with these orthos. My Yamaha receiver also sounds really bad.. But the HE-500 really wallops the M50 imho.

will a xonar essence stx amp these phones well enough? 

I want them bad, but not sure if my amp is up to the task...

For the other forumite who wanted to know whether the Asus Essence STX can drive the HE-500. Will try that in a while and see what happens, but I'm not feeling too optimistic 
tongue.gif
 I can definitely notice that the Essence STX is now a limiting factor in my setup. I might have to look at new DAC at some stage.

Edit: The Asus Essence STX headphone amp sounds pretty decent with the HE-500! Definitely has enough power to get these going..

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #1,076 of 1,779
Imo the He-500 needs some good amping, A dull and lifeless sounding he-500 means to me your amp is not up to the task.
M50 and He-500 are in a whole other league, you shouldn't even be comparing these :wink:

And like the rest of you, I have days where I prefer the He-500 and others where the LCD-2 gets all the play time. It depends as well on the type of music I want to listen to.
I couldn't decide on which one to keep if I had to.

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #1,077 of 1,779

Quote:

I have no comment about rigs, but your display picture reminded me that it was the HE-500 that made me learn to love Burial, or potentially the other way around. IMO they are the right headphones for that artist.

If that is the case, then I'll have to get them for sure.  Thanks Zida.
Now if someone could chime in about the sr-71a or hp-p1 with he-500 would be greatly appreciated.  

Dec 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #1,078 of 1,779
The SR71A will not provide anywhere near enough power, in my opinion.  The 71A is an IEM amplifier, it does not have a high enough output to do the HE500 justice, the Fostex and SR71B do in fact have suitable power to get great potent sound out of it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back