HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #962 of 1,779

Quote:
you like the sound of it?? btw what dolby headphones are you using??

lol. I Guess ur not familiar with the dolby headphone plugin. Im not using any dolby headphones, "dolby headphone" is a plugin for foobar. I use my akg k701. Then i use "freesurround" to fully adjust the everything about the soundstage such as instrument placement, instrument focus, depth, and where the music is more center, front or back focused .

Its just now that ive used this i cant go back to listening without it. It puts everything outside your head. Its like you can physically see the instruments outside your head and you cannot tell that the sound is coming from the drivers in the headphones. Without it everything feels so cramped like all instruments are bundled together in the drivers and the sound is inside your head.

I am also wondering how this will sound with the he-500, as the drivers are different im not sure if the instrument placement will be the same with the same settings i use for my akg's and im wondering if it will work as well as dynamic drivers, or maybe even sound much better.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #963 of 1,779
hmm..haven't tried the plugin...but one thing for sure the HE-500 sounds amazing even without the plugin..btw what will you power the HE-500 with and what drives your K701??i prefer listening to music with it's original untouched pure setting imo..even without the plugin the HE-500 does a great job with instrument separation, staging and so on..

Quote:
lol. I Guess ur not familiar with the dolby headphone plugin. Im not using any dolby headphones, "dolby headphone" is a plugin for foobar. I use my akg k701. Then i use "freesurround" to fully adjust the everything about the soundstage such as instrument placement, instrument focus, depth, and where the music is more center, front or back focused .

Its just now that ive used this i cant go back to listening without it. It puts everything outside your head. Its like you can physically see the instruments outside your head and you cannot tell that the sound is coming from the drivers in the headphones. Without it everything feels so cramped like all instruments are bundled together in the drivers and the sound is inside your head.

I am also wondering how this will sound with the he-500, as the drivers are different im not sure if the instrument placement will be the same with the same settings i use for my akg's and im wondering if it will work as well as dynamic drivers, or maybe even sound much better.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #964 of 1,779

Quote:
hmm..haven't tried the plugin...but one thing for sure the HE-500 sounds amazing even without the plugin..btw what will you power the HE-500 with and what drives your K701??i prefer listening to music with it's original untouched pure setting imo..even without the plugin the HE-500 does a great job with instrument separation, staging and so on..

i took the picture in my thumbnail picture. Its the k701 and audio gd nfb-10SE. Which single ended will put around 2.2 watts into the he-500, balanced around 7.5 watts. 

But i cant get enough of that 5.1 :) u should try it.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #966 of 1,779

Quote:
I just opened the box containing my HE-500, haven't even listened to them yet. I was very surprised that they no longer have the display box and it arrived with a semi-hard travel case with the cable in a velour pouch. At first I will admit I was a little bummed but quickly got over it as I assume some of it was to bring the price down to where it is (stellar pricing which allowed me to explore higher end orthos at all) and that people really wanted a more robust mobile case anyways. Has anyone else received this?

sorry for the crappy pics, just sitting on the couch opening stuff while having my birthday coffee....pretty sweet day so far. 

LOL I am jealous. I have the traditional case. Nice

Dec 13, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #967 of 1,779

Are you saying that HD650 is more "edgy" than HE500? Brighter? Harsher? More treble? Which fatigues you most?

Please elaborate! 
Quote:
Same here, actually I moved HD-650 to office rig.
Sometimes I felt that the more edginess of HD-650 (compared to HE-500, HD-650 is a really smooth phone with absolute terms) suited better for rock. But then I missed the extra bass slam of HE-500.
Anyway, I do feel that - apart from the price difference, need for more power and comfort - HE-500 wins HD-650 easily. And as you said, they have similar sound signatures (some have said that, actually, HD-600 has similar sound signature with HE-500).

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #968 of 1,779
I think I was just surprised by the change but now that I've got it I will admit I'm loving the new case.

Dec 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #970 of 1,779
Neither set is bright nor harsh, I think the HD650 bass is more splashy ( wet sounding is the best way I can describe it ) where as the HE500 is smooth, weighty and rock solid.  Neither is fatiguing, the HE500 bass just like the LCD2 bass is well...er...just how bass should sound. Thats my take on it anyway.  The HE500 trumps the HD650 in every way shape and form, it is more clear, more tonally balanced, more resolving, more detailed in every facet of sonic qualities your ears will pick up on. It is extremely evident the instant you plot the newer Orthos over your ears and try to go back to something like the HD650.  You just can't...well, at least I can't lol 

:p

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #971 of 1,779

Quote:
Neither set is bright nor harsh, I think the HD650 bass is more splashy ( wet sounding is the best way I can describe it ) where as the HE500 is smooth, weighty and rock solid.  Neither is fatiguing, the HE500 bass just like the LCD2 bass is well...er...just how bass should sound. Thats my take on it anyway.  The HE500 trumps the HD650 in every way shape and form, it is more clear, more tonally balanced, more resolving, more detailed in every facet of sonic qualities your ears will pick up on. It is extremely evident the instant you plot the newer Orthos over your ears and try to go back to something like the HD650.  You just can't...well, at least I can't lol 

:p

How do the HE-300s fair in comparison?

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #972 of 1,779
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #973 of 1,779
I lack the audio vocabulary to accurately put into words what I just heard. I'll just go with what I got...

wow

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #974 of 1,779

Quote:
I lack the audio vocabulary to accurately put into words what I just heard. I'll just go with what I got...

wow

Aha well put! and in response to detoxguy I received the new travel case with my HE-500s I didn't realise it was different to their previous offering - it really is a nifty little case. So far I'm enjoying my experience with these headphones,  I've noticed a difference in the sound signature between the velour pads and leather pads but I'm not sure which I prefer more yet.

Dec 14, 2011 at 7:04 AM Post #975 of 1,779

Quote:
How do the HE-300s fair in comparison?

If all goes as planned I will be covering this in an upcoming review that will include both of these sets.  Their presentations are generally the same, but the HE500 steps it up considerably in every way.  If you are looking for the best $250 set of headphones, I would now only recommend the HE300.  It sounds like a more clear and large sounding Beyer DT880.  Presentation qualities on the HE300 and HE500 are similar, meaning their general sound signature is comparable.  Excellent low end with great rumble and weight, the HE300 sounds like a dynamic driver bass and the HE500 bass sound rock solid.  Side by side with an newer Ortho, all Dynamic driver bass seems splashy, airy and smeared.  Mids are very forward and provide excellent vocals.  Highs are semi sparkled to my ears and extend very well.  The HE300 is highly efficient and requires no amp where as the HE500 sounds okay without amping and requires immense power to get the best of it.  

Both sets are best buys in their price tier.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back