HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Dec 12, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #931 of 1,779

Quote:
The bass on the HE500 is the best I have heard in any headphone. I own the D7000 and the HE500 has slam and deep bass and leaves me wanting for nothing. 

I absolutely second this. The only thing I might add is that LCD-2 Rev.1's bass was as good as it is on the HE-500, if not better. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #932 of 1,779
The cable is extremely microphonic lol, but I find it beautiful. I sold a pair to a customer the other day and can confirm this.

Quote:
I have asked about mine and looks like it will also come with the silver cable.. Will have to wait until next week before I can test it. Hopefully the micro-phonics is not too bad, but then again that would be preferable to an unwieldy cable. The thick cable on the Grado RS1i is more often in the way than not and gets tangled very easily which is annoying. Looks at least like my HE-500 was obtained from a registered Head-Direct dealer in Beijing having the new cable and pads. Keph had me worried there for a while! 
biggrin.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Dec 12, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #933 of 1,779
The cable is extremely microphonic lol, but I find it beautiful.

Alright then, this sounds like it might be a non-starter if it's that bad. So what are the options for upgrading if the original water hose cord is not desired but one wants to get something less microphonic than the new one? Where and how easy and how much?

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #934 of 1,779
Two or three people complaining on a forum about a cable problem doesn't mean there's even an issue. Relax, see what you think of it when you get it. As far as different cables replacing them is easy. Moon audio, ALO, Q-audio all make really nice cables and start at about 180 and up to as much as you want to spend. HiFiMAN also includes terminators so you can add them to any cable you want if you have the skills.

I have no idea what to expect with the cable (get to finally open the damn box tomorrow morning...been hard seeing it just sit there for the last few days) but will give it a shot and if it's an issue I'll buy another cable... might just order the HE-6 one as I've heard some good things....

Quote:
Alright then, this sounds like it might be a non-starter if it's that bad. So what are the options for upgrading if the original water hose card is not desired but one wants to get something less microphonic than the new one? Where and how easy and how much?

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #935 of 1,779

Quote:
Alright then, this sounds like it might be a non-starter if it's that bad. So what are the options for upgrading if the original water hose card is not desired but one wants to get something less microphonic than the new one? Where and how easy and how much?

I would try them and if you do not like the cable you can get some aftermarket cables also. I like the HE6 cable I was sent and it sounds very very good. There is no microphonics in the 6 cable I can identify.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #936 of 1,779
Okay, thanks for talking me down. I suppose I'll wait till they're on my head before finding potential faults.

Hurry up, HeadRoom!

Dec 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #941 of 1,779
I just opened the box containing my HE-500, haven't even listened to them yet. I was very surprised that they no longer have the display box and it arrived with a semi-hard travel case with the cable in a velour pouch. At first I will admit I was a little bummed but quickly got over it as I assume some of it was to bring the price down to where it is (stellar pricing which allowed me to explore higher end orthos at all) and that people really wanted a more robust mobile case anyways. Has anyone else received this?

sorry for the crappy pics, just sitting on the couch opening stuff while having my birthday coffee....pretty sweet day so far. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #942 of 1,779

Quote:
I just opened the box containing my HE-500, haven't even listened to them yet. I was very surprised that they no longer have the display box and it arrived with a semi-hard travel case with the cable in a velour pouch. At first I will admit I was a little bummed but quickly got over it as I assume some of it was to bring the price down to where it is (stellar pricing which allowed me to explore higher end orthos at all) and that people really wanted a more robust mobile case anyways. Has anyone else received this?

sorry for the crappy pics, just sitting on the couch opening stuff while having my birthday coffee....pretty sweet day so far. 

show us the cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back