**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #8,252 of 22,116
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I bought these the other day after a meet, they should be here Friday!

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #8,254 of 22,116
Quote:
My priorities are sound and comfort being basically equal, and looks being important but not as much as the other two. In the case of a vegan LCD2, sound is first, followed by the comfort (heard vegan pads make it a bit more comfy), and looks while important, are an exception here in my case.

Im not saying looks are not important. I say i dont care about them. (thou if we are talking about girls, looks are first in my list .... unfortunatelly).

I guess that i dont pay attention to looks in a lot of other things as well (hell, the only time i look at myself in the mirror is when i shave and when im in the elevator and there is nothing better to do than funny faces).

I also like "atypical" things, so maybe thats why i like the LCD-2/3. They look so different that it calls my attention :D.

Like a beautifull girl wearing something that does not benefit her looks... you know, one of those rare diamonds that you find in the sewer. 

Thats about the best way i can explain it (the beatifull is the sound, the sewer is the actual looks in the case of a HP).

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #8,255 of 22,116
Quote:
Everytime i see anyone writing about the "looks" of a HP, i wonder why it matters.
I know a lot of people used to laught at me when i first got my first around-the-ear HPs and used them when on the streets.
Now, after beats, everyone thinks its cool, and many people use AKGs, Senns, etc.

People are full of BS so i dont think it matters that much what they think about my HPS (whenever they are nice or ugly) and i dont plan to be posing as a model with them on (not to mention i have a huge nose so i doubt ill get there).

For me the LCD-2/3 Looks cool (ugly but cool). That sort of retro from space style with a strange mesh format looks like its shouting "look at me, look at me" :D.

However it does bother me that they are heavy, or they clamping force, or that my ears sweat.... comfort issues basicly.

I guess icare about the sound quality and comfort so much that the looks become a pointless part.

Like I said, if all things are equal, and I'm paying $1-2 THOUSAND dollars for something, then I'm going to want my headphones to look good.

Also, you are making the huge mistake of assuming that we want something that looks good for someone else. We want something that looks good for ourselves.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #8,256 of 22,116
Quote:
Like I said, if all things are equal, and I'm paying $1-2 THOUSAND dollars for something, then I'm going to want my headphones to look good.

Also, you are making the huge mistake of assuming that we want something that looks good for someone else. We want something that looks good for ourselves.

That last part makes even less sence to me :D.
Ive always been ugly and i always loved myself anyway 8).
But when i finally have a girlfriend, id like her to like me, not just so she stays with me, but also so that she enjoys my company.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #8,257 of 22,116
Quote:
So can anyone tell me how these headphones pair with a Matrix M-Stage? I've had a hard time finding information on that combo. Both get very good reviews and seem to be incredible value, and if they happen to have good synergy, they'd be one of the best mid-fi deals ever.

Baboon,

I am listening to them now through the Audioengine D1 DAC out to the Matrix M-stage running 627's in A bias. Simply sweet. Just warm enough to warm my heart.  FWIW, I've stopped looking for an amp. I've found one I am happy with. YMMV.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #8,259 of 22,116
just got mine not even 5 mins ago, time to try them out with VNV Nation

Edit: Wow... just wow :darthsmile: I think my friends are going to be inheriting some headphones soon

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #8,261 of 22,116
Quote:
just got mine not even 5 mins ago, time to try them out with VNV Nation

Edit: Wow... just wow
darthsmile.gif
I think my friends are going to be inheriting some headphones soon

Yup that's the reaction I had too, and still have today 5 months later 
beerchug.gif

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #8,262 of 22,116
Quote:
Nah, I was absolutely going to get them, then I saw the reviews, and was rightly turned off by their description. Bass light anything is inexcusable to me for that high a price. That bass roll off is unbecoming for a flagship.

No offense, but these are NOT BASS LIGHT cans... and by a lot.
You will get exactly the right amount of tight bass, different for each genre.
You just obviously wont get any extra subwoofer bass like from the bass heavy cans (Ultrasones for instance)
But there is certainly some rumbliness to be found, again depends on the song/film/videogame,...

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #8,263 of 22,116
Quote:

That's disheartening.  LCD2's bass is supremely tight, but it extends all the way down.

It does goes down, but its tight. I understand you might feel like missing some depth in comparison to bass heavy cans, which give you that subwoofer feel but then again the bass control goes out the window...
Here the bass is always control and very tight but still hits deep.
I am not exactly sure where LCDs fall into

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #8,264 of 22,116
I call BS on that.  Both HE-400, and especially the LCD2, are very tight in their bass, but they extend down low and still provide deep, deep bass when called for. 

I don't know what 'rumble' means, so I won't try to discuss that. 

My initial question was how does the HE-6's low bass presence compare to HE-400 or LCD2.  Can you answer that?

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #8,265 of 22,116
Wow, Mark, you jumped on that fast! :)
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do. They are an outstanding value for the money.
I had to return my Alpha Dogs by Monday, and a guy (GrumbleFish, from the meet) offered me them for $320 used with free shipping! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back