**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 6, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #8,266 of 22,116
I should have them by Saturday and I can't wait to finally have a pair of good open back headphones.  I've been looking to get a pair for awhile but just didn't know what to get so I had it down to these or the Shure 1440 as both can be played from a mp3 player or phone and plus the C&C BH amp I think the HE-400 will sound pretty darn good.

Mar 6, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #8,267 of 22,116
I should have them by Saturday and I can't wait to finally have a pair of good open back headphones.  I've been looking to get a pair for awhile but just didn't know what to get so I had it down to these or the Shure 1440 as both can be played from a mp3 player or phone and plus the C&C BH amp I think the HE-400 will sound pretty darn good.
It sounds amazing from me (Meet impressions), also, the laid back vocal quality is fixed with a tube amp and a decent DAC. :wink:

Mar 6, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #8,268 of 22,116
Quote:
It sounds amazing from me (Meet impressions), also, the laid back vocal quality is fixed with a tube amp and a decent DAC.
wink.gif

If I like the HE-400 a lot I'm going to start looking into starting to get a at home setup going so I can have higher impedance headphones like an HD800 or something like the LCD2.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #8,269 of 22,116
No offense, but these are NOT BASS LIGHT cans... and by a lot.
You will get exactly the right amount of tight bass, different for each genre.
You just obviously wont get any extra subwoofer bass like from the bass heavy cans (Ultrasones for instance)
But there is certainly some rumbliness to be found, again depends on the song/film/videogame,...

I was referring to the Shure SRH1840 on that post... you do realize this, right? Those are known to be bass light and on the bright side.

Mar 6, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #8,271 of 22,116
You know what especially annoys me about the cheap paint used on the HiFiMan logo and the 'L' and 'R' on the HE-400? The fact that the paint used on the cheaper HE-300 is better and didn't seem to be wearing off at all before I painted them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #8,272 of 22,116
Giving the velours a try after quite a bit of a (great) ride with Jergpads. Just to have a good reference again haha. 

Is anyone still a velour preferrer? 

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #8,273 of 22,116
Giving the velours a try after quite a bit of a (great) ride with Jergpads. Just to have a good reference again haha. 

Is anyone still a velour preferrer? 
I'm thinking of getting velours, how are the Jerg pads?

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #8,276 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting velours, how are the Jerg pads?

Aside from my terrible craftsmanship, excellent quality.

Hahah two tracks later I already decided to go back to Jergpads for comfort and sound quality, pleather conforms to my eyeglasses a bit better and gives less of a headcrush. Thank you for reminding me, I need to 'update' my signature. 

but velour is no slouch especially for $10 and if you don't feel like getting into modding i think they beat out the pleathers stock. 

I just really wish I had a finely constructed pair of Jergpads for the long haul. I would buy another stock pair of pleather and butcher them, but that's exactly what I'll be doing is butchering again.

So I'm happy all in all. 

This is so enjoyable, the actual track quality gives it much more justice but its really cool having Miami vice samples woven into the track. 

And 'Flightwave' is a great followup (even though it comes right before 'Hyperlips' in the album order)

Com Truise <3 & Jerg/eyeglasspad <3 

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #8,277 of 22,116
Quote:
I love the Hifiman's looks despite some issues with their cheap logo paint, and horrible cable connectors. The HE-4 is a damn sexy headphone. Not a huge fan of the HE-400's blue, but it's still leaps and bounds better looking than the LCD-2, IMHO. I just wish the paint wasn't glossy.

MLE:

I'm with you on the 400 for a very different reason. I know this is going to sound absurd but the 400 looks kinda "corporate" and that's just fine with me.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #8,279 of 22,116
Interesting. I preferred velour to stock pleather in SQ but stock pleather still had some nice aspects, jergpads are just like perfectly balanced. 

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #8,280 of 22,116
I was referring to the Shure SRH1840 on that post... you do realize this, right? Those are known to be bass light and on the bright side.

I didn't sorry ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back