**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #8,236 of 22,116
Quote:
About to buy a glass dome for my HE-400. Sure they're not $2000 headphones but I believe eliminating dust will prolong the life a good bit.

Hey james, do you know the dimensions that would probably fit the HE-400 for the glass dome? I think for the rounded base, 8'' diameter is a minimal with about 8-10'' in height. Also considering buying one, or the clear protective cover provided by Stax.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8,237 of 22,116
Quote:

Hey james, do you know the dimensions that would probably fit the HE-400 for the glass dome? I think for the rounded base, 8'' diameter is a minimal with about 8-10'' in height. Also considering buying one, or the clear protective cover provided by Stax.

I can measure mine when I get home if you want, just remember if you buy a dome without some way to display them you need to also make sure you get a nice stand to go in the dome, and that the stand itself will fit. For instance, the stand I use is taller than the headphones so my dome need to be able to accommodate my headphones with the stand in it.

I'll be purchasing in the next day or two if you want to wait and see what I end up with. I can take pics and stuff.

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #8,238 of 22,116
Quote:
I can measure mine when I get home if you want, just remember if you buy a dome without some way to display them you need to also make sure you get a nice stand to go in the dome, and that the stand itself will fit. For instance, the stand I use is taller than the headphones so my dome need to be able to accommodate my headphones with the stand in it.

I'll be purchasing in the next day or two if you want to wait and see what I end up with. I can take pics and stuff.

Yep, I have also put the dimensions of the stand into consideration. Just want to see the general dimension range that can be used.
If there is a wood base of the dome that is integrated with the headphone stand, that would be sweet...

Mar 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #8,239 of 22,116
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #8,240 of 22,116
Mar 5, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #8,241 of 22,116
I'm soon to be the proud owner of a pair of the HE-400 and they'll be my first good pair of headphones ever as I've been an IEM guy.  I'm very much interested to see if I'll like them as much or maybe even more than IEM's as the most expensive IEM I owned was the $400 SM3 V2's that I just sold today which is why I got these.

Mar 6, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #8,243 of 22,116
Where can I get some of these jergpads I hear so much about.

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #8,245 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm soon to be the proud owner of a pair of the HE-400 and they'll be my first good pair of headphones ever as I've been an IEM guy.  I'm very much interested to see if I'll like them as much or maybe even more than IEM's as the most expensive IEM I owned was the $400 SM3 V2's that I just sold today which is why I got these.

Awesome. I think you'll be impressed. I've tried experimenting in both camps and think I have a pretty decent foothold in each. I'd say full sized generally have a unique positive trait that IEMs can't match being the small drivers that they are. Plus, you're getting a planar!

Mar 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #8,246 of 22,116
Quote:

Awesome. I think you'll be impressed. I've tried experimenting in both camps and think I have a pretty decent foothold in each. I'd say full sized generally have a unique positive trait that IEMs can't match being the small drivers that they are. Plus, you're getting a planar!

Yeah I've wanted to try a planar for quite some time and thought now was as good a time than any.  I just hope the upper mids and lower treble aren't as recessed sounding as some of the graphs I've seen show but from what I've read I don't think it will be to bad.

Quote:
You're probably going to have to make those yourself~! 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646812/hifiman-he500-he400-jergpad-mod-v2-0-new-revised-feb-28-2013 If you haven't seen the thread already.

Thanks for the bro link and now to learn how to make them.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #8,247 of 22,116
Everytime i see anyone writing about the "looks" of a HP, i wonder why it matters.
I know a lot of people used to laught at me when i first got my first around-the-ear HPs and used them when on the streets.
Now, after beats, everyone thinks its cool, and many people use AKGs, Senns, etc.

People are full of BS so i dont think it matters that much what they think about my HPS (whenever they are nice or ugly) and i dont plan to be posing as a model with them on (not to mention i have a huge nose so i doubt ill get there).

For me the LCD-2/3 Looks cool (ugly but cool). That sort of retro from space style with a strange mesh format looks like its shouting "look at me, look at me" :D.

However it does bother me that they are heavy, or they clamping force, or that my ears sweat.... comfort issues basicly.

I guess icare about the sound quality and comfort so much that the looks become a pointless part.

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #8,248 of 22,116
Quote:
Everytime i see anyone writing about the "looks" of a HP, i wonder why it matters.
I know a lot of people used to laught at me when i first got my first around-the-ear HPs and used them when on the streets.
Now, after beats, everyone thinks its cool, and many people use AKGs, Senns, etc.

People are full of BS so i dont think it matters that much what they think about my HPS (whenever they are nice or ugly) and i dont plan to be posing as a model with them on (not to mention i have a huge nose so i doubt ill get there).

For me the LCD-2/3 Looks cool (ugly but cool). That sort of retro from space style with a strange mesh format looks like its shouting "look at me, look at me" :D.

However it does bother me that they are heavy, or they clamping force, or that my ears sweat.... comfort issues basicly.

I guess icare about the sound quality and comfort so much that the looks become a pointless part.

I totally agree as I could care less how something looks as long as they sound good, I mean there could be a headphone that's only in pink but they sounds amazing and I'd rock the crap out of them on the streets no problem. I always laugh when I'm selling a pair of IEM's because I don't usually post pics unless they ask and some people wont buy a pair because they're not the color they want like the e-Q5 for instance they wanted black not the silver ones.  There IEM's its not like you can see much of them when your wearing them anyways.

I've never cared about the looks of a pair of IEM's or headphones and all the people that buy stuff like Beats just for looks are just plain D-bags imo (I hope that doesn't offend anyone).

Mar 6, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #8,249 of 22,116
My priorities are sound and comfort being basically equal, and looks being important but not as much as the other two. In the case of a vegan LCD2, sound is first, followed by the comfort (heard vegan pads make it a bit more comfy), and looks while important, are an exception here in my case.

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #8,250 of 22,116
So can anyone tell me how these headphones pair with a Matrix M-Stage? I've had a hard time finding information on that combo. Both get very good reviews and seem to be incredible value, and if they happen to have good synergy, they'd be one of the best mid-fi deals ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back