**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #8,206 of 22,116
Yeah. I would not give up the LCD2 bass for less or more perceived tightness. That LCD2 bass mixed with those magical mids are what sold me to them, despite how ugly I think it is, and how expensive they are. That sound is just... I had to have it.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #8,207 of 22,116
You're crazy!  The rosewood variant anyway looks absolutely stunning.

Regardless, I've heard quite a few people say that HE-6 has bass that extends just as much if not more than LCD2, so I'm not sweating it.  Graphs can back it up too, it sports the same linear extension as all other hifiman planars.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #8,208 of 22,116
My problem with the HE-6 is how finicky they are with amping. Something that is not an issue with the LCD2.

As for the aesthetics, it's not so much the bamboo, but the overall utilitarian aesthetics the LCD2 has. It's freakishly huge, the grills look like waffle makers, the headband is ugly as sin... I dunno the total package is not visually pleasing to me. Lol.

The vegan LCD2 is undoubtedly gonna be even uglier... :D

Hopefully the comfort will more than make up for it.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #8,209 of 22,116
Quote:
My problem with the HE-6 is how finicky they are with amping. Something that is not an issue with the LCD2.

As for the aesthetics, it's not so much the bamboo, but the overall utilitarian aesthetics the LCD2 has. It's freakishly huge, the grills look like waffle makers, the headband is ugly as sin... I dunno the total package is not visually pleasing to me. Lol.

The vegan LCD2 is undoubtedly gonna be even uglier...
biggrin.gif

Hopefully the comfort will more than make up for it.

Kinda have to agree. It's just, too much I guess. Hifimans are a bit less 'in your face' but more sleek looking. Not that the HE-400 is a particularly good looking headphone...

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #8,210 of 22,116
I love the Hifiman's looks despite some issues with their cheap logo paint, and horrible cable connectors. The HE-4 is a damn sexy headphone. Not a huge fan of the HE-400's blue, but it's still leaps and bounds better looking than the LCD-2, IMHO. I just wish the paint wasn't glossy.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #8,211 of 22,116
I really am disappointed with how many of the higher end headphones look these days. I know, there's the whole "Beats" argument .. should never choose style over audio quality, but if I'm laying $1-2 thousand on a product, I want it to look and feel good, damnit! The HD-800 is ugly as sin and feels like cheap plastic (note: I observe no actual issues with the build quality), the LCD-2 and LCD-3 are over-designed and clunky. The HE-6, HE-500, etc would be ugly as sin if they didn't do such a good job trying to make it all really understated. All things relatively equal, I'm going for the sexier pair every single time.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #8,213 of 22,116
Quote:
I really am disappointed with how many of the higher end headphones look these days. I know, there's the whole "Beats" argument .. should never choose style over audio quality, but if I'm laying $1-2 thousand on a product, I want it to look and feel good, damnit! The HD-800 is ugly as sin and feels like cheap plastic (note: I observe no actual issues with the build quality), the LCD-2 and LCD-3 are over-designed and clunky. The HE-6, HE-500, etc would be ugly as sin if they didn't do such a good job trying to make it all really understated. All things relatively equal, I'm going for the sexier pair every single time.

The only good looking high tier headphone is probably the T1 but I don't know how it compares sound quality wise to the others.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #8,214 of 22,116
I dunno, the Denon D7000, Shure 1840, Fostex TH-600/TH-900, Stax SR007 MK II and SR009 are all some pretty sexy looking cans.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #8,215 of 22,116
I don't mind their looks at all.  It brings about a retro look I quite like.  I'm also a huge fan of anything steampunk a well though so that's just me.

HD800 I personally do not like aesthetically. 

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8,216 of 22,116
Quote:
The only good looking high tier headphone is probably the T1 but I don't know how it compares sound quality wise to the others.

I hate the metal  on top of the cups .. I don't know what to call that piece, but it's the curved thing coming out of the headband. I think it looks tacky, and the ends of the headbands where that comes out of look cheap, as do the screw blocks on the sides of the cup. They could have paid more attention to the connectors/accents in other words. Beautiful, beautiful cups and a nice headband, though.
Quote:
I dunno, the D7000, TH-600/TH-900, Stax SR007 MK II and SR009 are all some pretty sexy looking cans.

Man I was so blown away by the D7000 in person. Because the stock image for it on Amazon on many other sites is so horrendous. It looks totally boring and cheap. Like go look at Amazon, look at default, and then look at a customer image. It's like WOW. And yeah, what you've listed there is good stuff. The SR009 got that premium watch feel going on.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8,217 of 22,116
The Shure SRH1840 in particular is probably the sexiest headphone I've ever seen.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8,218 of 22,116
Quote:
I don't mind their looks at all.  It brings about a retro look I quite like.  I'm also a huge fan of anything steampunk a well though so that's just me.

HD800 I personally do not like aesthetically. 

Steampunk is great. I think the Audeze have a lot of initial WOW factor, and I think they are beautiful in some ways, but when I really, really look at them I see questionable design choices like those spatula grills.

Mar 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #8,220 of 22,116
Nah, I was absolutely going to get them, then I saw the reviews, and was rightly turned off by their description. Bass light anything is inexcusable to me for that high a price. That bass roll off is unbecoming for a flagship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back