**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #8,222 of 22,116
Originally Posted by imackler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thinking about getting a HE-400 but kind of concerned about build quality, especially with their just being a one year warranty. It seems like there are fairly frequent problems with the wire. Does that seem to be the consensus? Compared to the HDxxx line, which you hardly ever hear about a problem, do you all feel like that you will get a bang for your buck in the long run or do you expect these to only last a couple years? Thanks for any advice! 

I've had my HE-400 for about two months & use them daily.  Not a single issue with the build & I don't anticipate having any.  As far as bang for buck, the HE-400 gets nearly as much use as the HD800 does... that's how much I like it.  I don't anticipate selling the HE-400 any time soon, either.  Just a terrific phone that is flat out FUN to listen with.

This is the best cable I've experienced in a headphone yet.  No problems whatsoever, especially not with the connections.

Yep.. I have no issues with the stock cable other than it being a bit too long.. so I use an aftermarket one (Norse Audio Skuld 4.. which I highly recommend).

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #8,223 of 22,116
To me it seems as though the He-400 is more robust than the HD650. I tend to baby my hd650 more while I feel like the He-400 can take a pounding and still stay alive lol 

Its probably the combination of plastic and metal that gives it a tank feel. I feel like I might snap the HD650 if I place it down on my table too roughly :/ 

It might be just me, but does leather earpads on the He-400 seem to bring the treble down a bit? Anyone seem to experience that? 

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #8,224 of 22,116
Quote:
I think their sewer drainage grills are probably one of the best things about the Audeze cans.  I'd take that type of design over the Hifimans any day.

Unfortunately having Audeze-like grills on Hifiman cans would be disastrous in terms of sound quality. For a good compromise between SQ and driver protection, the standard garbage bin mesh still seems to be the best.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #8,225 of 22,116
Quote:
I love the Hifiman's looks despite some issues with their cheap logo paint, and horrible cable connectors. The HE-4 is a damn sexy headphone. Not a huge fan of the HE-400's blue, but it's still leaps and bounds better looking than the LCD-2, IMHO. I just wish the paint wasn't glossy.

I do think the HE-500 looks very good and luxurious. Maybe some day I will paint those blue shells in some matte color like the HE-500.
Wasn't there anyone else planning to do that? I have zero experience in something like that.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #8,227 of 22,116
Quote:
Doesn't that leave the driver completely exposed to dust?

Yes. Fairly trivial if they are used exclusively indoors though.

I think Dr. Fang's own HE5LE prototpye has no dust protection grill-side either and had no issues after years of usage...

"
Fang Bian responded
: "
The first prototype was made without grill cloth. It has been used for more than four years without any problems.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #8,228 of 22,116
Quote:
To me it seems as though the He-400 is more robust than the HD650. I tend to baby my hd650 more while I feel like the He-400 can take a pounding and still stay alive lol 

Its probably the combination of plastic and metal that gives it a tank feel. I feel like I might snap the HD650 if I place it down on my table too roughly :/ 

It might be just me, but does leather earpads on the He-400 seem to bring the treble down a bit? Anyone seem to experience that? 

The paint is very fragile on the HD650, it's ridiculous really for such an expensive headphone. It is indeed very light, but I don't think it will snap or break that fast. Where the HD650 uses plastic, the HE-400 uses metal. It's much stronger, but also heavier.

Mar 5, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #8,229 of 22,116
Hey guys, I have a question. If you switch the left and right cables to the other cups (so the left cable to the right cup and then the right cable to the left cup) and then flip the cups around on your head (so the left cup is on your right ear with the left cable, and the right cup is on your left ear with the right cable), then do you guys hear a difference? Essentially, the proper channel is getting to the correct ear, but the headphone is "backwards". I swear I hear a difference, but I'm not sure if it's simply expectation bias. Are the drivers in each ear supposed to be perfectly symmetrical? Thanks!

Mar 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #8,232 of 22,116
Quote:
The AKG K702 65th Annies look pretty damn good as well..

The AKG line designs all look a bit too rounded and confused for my taste. Not understated enough.

For me, the ultimate "looker" headphones would be similar to Hifimans in minimalism, but with the sleek motifs and angles of a VModa.

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #8,234 of 22,116
Have you guys considered using bread to tame the high-end tizziness of your HE-400s? Full slices might be a bit large, but croutons are a possibility.

http://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comments/19ppfq/pump_up_the_bass_the_porous_bread_absorbs_high/

Mar 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #8,235 of 22,116
Quote:
Have you guys considered using bread to tame the high-end tizziness of your HE-400s? Full slices might be a bit large, but croutons are a possibility.

http://www.reddit.com/r/lifehacks/comments/19ppfq/pump_up_the_bass_the_porous_bread_absorbs_high/

Right but with what seasoning? Don't even act like rosemary even compares with oregano for sub bass impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back