**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #8,281 of 22,116
I call BS on that.  Both HE-400, and especially the LCD2, are very tight in their bass, but they extend down low and still provide deep, deep bass when called for. 

I don't know what 'rumble' means, so I won't try to discuss that. 

My initial question was how does the HE-6's low bass presence compare to HE-400 or LCD2.  Can you answer that?

Yes I supposw.
The presence is similar but it hits slightly less deep.

You can ask preproman aboit that... He has all 3.

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #8,282 of 22,116
The jergpad measurements got finished. Thanks purrin!

1. FR; green = jergpads, blue = velour

2. CSD of jergpads v1.0

3. CSD of velours

(Note that these measurements are with v1 of jergpad; v2 is more open-sounding with better bass extension)

Overall much more even and full upper end, less peaks / dips, sibilants would thus be tamed as reflected by my subjective impressions. 

Things that are not readily shown by the measurements are that the midrange is much thicker and more satisfying with the jergpads, without the glare/ringing of stock pleathers.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #8,283 of 22,116
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]Oh, thats the HE500. A shame. Wanted to see what it did to the HE400.

Still, it does seem to improve the HE500, for sure.

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #8,285 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh, thats the HE500. A shame. Wanted to see what it did to the HE400.

You can extrapolate: much more filled and less peaky treble, upper mids/lower treble pushed up even more than velours.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #8,286 of 22,116
Quote:
You can extrapolate: much more filled and less peaky treble, upper mids/lower treble pushed up even more than velours.

That is pretty much exactly how I hear it. Treble is less fatigueing (smoothed out), fem vocals(upper mids) are slightly more forward, and lastly sibilance is reduced but this recording dependent.

It's just a shame we dont have HE-400 graphs to really bring the point home. Maybe I should offer my cans to purrin for science, but no music may drive me mad.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #8,288 of 22,116
Quote:

That is pretty much exactly how I hear it. Treble is less fatigueing (smoothed out), fem vocals(upper mids) are slightly more forward, and lastly sibilance is reduced but this recording dependent.

It's just a shame we dont have HE-400 graphs to really bring the point home. Maybe I should offer my cans to purrin for science, but no music may drive me mad.

He has a pair of HE400s, I'll PM him and see if he could do a measurement. I think he's selling them (the HE400s) though so no promises.

Mar 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #8,289 of 22,116
Quote:
What other genres do you listen to Techno Kid? I'm not sure how well the HD800 and LCD-2 do with EDM, but I can tell you that you'll be happy with the HE-400 :wink:

I do mainly listen to EDM but also old school 90's grunge and bands from that era also some classical but 90% of what I listen to is EDM.  

I'm not like most people that listen to EDM, IEM's that people say aren't good for electronic music sometimes are my favorite's like the Hifiman RE262 and TDK BA200. I boost the bass on the RE262 and I think the sound awesome with EDM, I love mids because that's where most of the music is so as long as the IEM's or headphones have good mids I can work with the other frequencies.

Mar 7, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #8,292 of 22,116
Quote:
Interesting. I preferred velour to stock pleather in SQ but stock pleather still had some nice aspects, jergpads are just like perfectly balanced. 

My earlier post was slightly misleading. I have the J$ pads, not the Hifiman stock pleathers. I meant to say that I like the feel of leather rather than the velour. The sound, to me , from the J$ is definitely better than the velours.

Mar 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #8,293 of 22,116
Quote:
That last part makes even less sence to me :D.
Ive always been ugly and i always loved myself anyway 8).
But when i finally have a girlfriend, id like her to like me, not just so she stays with me, but also so that she enjoys my company.

Haha such a nice analogy. I'm sure you're not that ugly friend!

I also care more about performances than looks.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM Post #8,294 of 22,116
Quote:

I do mainly listen to EDM but also old school 90's grunge and bands from that era also some classical but 90% of what I listen to is EDM.  

I'm not like most people that listen to EDM, IEM's that people say aren't good for electronic music sometimes are my favorite's like the Hifiman RE262 and TDK BA200. I boost the bass on the RE262 and I think the sound awesome with EDM, I love mids because that's where most of the music is so as long as the IEM's or headphones have good mids I can work with the other frequencies.

To me, HE-400 is really really good with EDM. I think you'll like the HE-400, but that's just me. 
tongue.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #8,295 of 22,116
Quote:
To me, HE-400 is really really good with EDM. I think you'll like the HE-400, but that's just me. 
tongue.gif

From all the impressions and reviews I've seen I'm pretty sure I'll like them a lot, I'll have them tomorrow so I'm getting excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back