**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #17,011 of 22,116
Seriously if your going to buy a cable that costs hundreds of dollars for an increase in sq you might as well buy an he-500 I'm sorry but it's effing dumb to buy an he400 for 300$ and buy a cable of equal value, ether spend the money on an amp dac combo or a better set of cans. Come on people! The voltage and amperage that were dealing with is so small in comparison with a huge p/a system and even on 100,000 watt sound systems we use standard nl4 copper cable! It's just silly to me

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #17,012 of 22,116
  HE400s + Class-A biased M-Stage + EDM = match made in heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuYylyjY_I

Dat ortho bass punch. Kick hits hard, fast and with bulk powah. Still in love, 2 years later.

Does the opamp change make much of a difference to the M-stage? I'm debating whether I should opamp roll, but I'm kind of lazy to do it.

Apr 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #17,013 of 22,116

Does the opamp change make much of a difference to the M-stage? I'm debating whether I should opamp roll, but I'm kind of lazy to do it.

My ears appreciate it, but it still retains the M-stage sound, as it is not a drastic change. It is as easy as taking out a few screws, unplugging the old one,  and plugging the new choice in. Takes all of 2-3 minutes.  

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #17,014 of 22,116
  This has been my favorite track for the HE-400 lately. I can barely even hear the bassline in my car, but then once I'm home--glory.

Dat bassline is definitely a brain scrambler. Lol.

I've been listening to regular speakers for a few weeks, and threw the phones on just to check this out. Amazingly, they actually seem a bit "veiled" right off the bat, but still have a smooth sound and rich bass. Treble actually feels a tad "loaded" and missing a little extension. Still love em' though.

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #17,015 of 22,116
My aftermarket cable upgrade yielded positive results after being patient with the breaking in process. The caveat is it's going to be difficult to find a quality cable that will make a positive difference for under $150 which is what I spent, keeping n mind the 'phones were only $299.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #17,016 of 22,116

I have an OPAmp run-down pdf from a post on here. Will dig it out. There is a better solution than 627 which is one of the upgrades you can get for M-stage......LM4562 is too bright for a start for 400's. I have a recent PM about lesser known OPAmps that may not be FOTM but they may pair well with the 400 sig... in the sense of not making the weaknesses worse.

Apr 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #17,018 of 22,116
  Hey guys im about to buy the he 400 and was wondering what tube amp works best with it. It would be nice if it worked well with the dt 990 pro 250 ohm and the q701.
Sorry for asking this question if it has already been asked. Looked around google but never got a definite answer.

Budget is around 200-250$

I would also like to know the answer to this question. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #17,019 of 22,116
THe HE-400 and 500's sound great with the Schiit Audio Lyr plus it does a wonderful job of making AKG K701's sound fuller (better bottom end) and more dynamic. 

Sorry, didn't see the price range you had mentioned. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #17,020 of 22,116

It's not a drastic sound change, but for me it was a positive change. It seemed to bring out a bit more power in the bass and brought the mids out a bit as well. At least to me. Most noticeable in the bass, but its still fairly subtle.
  My ears appreciate it, but it still retains the M-stage sound, as it is not a drastic change. It is as easy as taking out a few screws, unplugging the old one,  and plugging the new choice in. Takes all of 2-3 minutes.  

This ^

I have an OPAmp run-down pdf from a post on here. Will dig it out. There is a better solution than 627 which is one of the upgrades you can get for M-stage......LM4562 is too bright for a start for 400's. I have a recent PM about lesser known OPAmps that may not be FOTM but they may pair well with the 400 sig... in the sense of not making the weaknesses worse.

Would be awesome if you could dig this up, cheers!

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #17,025 of 22,116
You could also buy the Bottlehead Quickie and a solid state amp as long as your DAC is separate from the amp.
That way you can flip between SS and tube tone when you feel like it.
If I remember the BH Quickie expands the soundstage according to one 500 user who said it was great in his set-up.
T-amps are under-rated for powering HFM cans with one extremely techie member on here (Robrob) saying his was close to his TOTL Schitt amp. So if you can get your cables balanced you'd have more than enough juice in reserve for your 400's if you went that route of tubie and SS speaker amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back