**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 13, 2014 at 6:54 PM Post #16,982 of 22,116
  It slipped through the cracks

beerchug.gif

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #16,983 of 22,116

I'm sure that companies like Pass Labs do use excellent components throughout. But a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. In a super high end system using Pass Labs, Wilson Audio, DCS DAC, perhaps there are no weak links and expensive cables are justified. Or perhaps someone who can spend all that money on components has money coming out the ears and buys expensive cables simply because he or she might as well go all in.

That's completely different from Head-Fi. We aren't running $40K amps with $100K speakers and gold-plated binding posts that cost $3K each. I just don't see the point of connecting a $100+ piece of wire to a $3 SMC connector. But that's just me. I'm not denying what you hear (though I do actually think a great many audiophiles have been ripped off over the years). If the cables are worth it to you, then enjoy and don't listen to naysayers like me. 

If I'm looking to subjectively improve my listening experience, however, I'd rather just drink a beer. Improves the sound way more than cables, IMO 
beerchug.gif

I think in the same way as you...for now.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #16,984 of 22,116
I thought it was some vague dig towards me regarding crack cocaine. look it's been fun but maybe it's time for this thread to end. I'm happy and enjoy my system and that's what this hobby/obsession is all about.

Apr 13, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #16,985 of 22,116
One tip I wanted to add for all HiFiMAN owners is to get some Caig DeoxtIT ProGold liquid contact enhancer. It comes is a small bottle with a brush applicator. It work as both a contact enhancer and lubricant to prevent wear from plugging and unplugging both plugs and jacks. This product work perfectly on the threads and tiny nuts on the HiFiMAN connectors. I bought a bottle of this stuff for $30 3 years and I still have almost a half a bottle. Music Direct, an online audio store has it for $33. I don't know if this OK but here's the link:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6785-caig-deoxit-gold-g100l-treatment.aspx?source=igodigital&

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #16,986 of 22,116
  One tip I wanted to add for all HiFiMAN owners is to get some Caig DeoxtIT ProGold liquid contact enhancer. It comes is a small bottle with a brush applicator. It work as both a contact enhancer and lubricant to prevent wear from plugging and unplugging both plugs and jacks. This product work perfectly on the threads and tiny nuts on the HiFiMAN connectors. I bought a bottle of this stuff for $30 3 years and I still have almost a half a bottle. Music Direct, an online audio store has it for $33. I don't know if this OK but here's the link:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6785-caig-deoxit-gold-g100l-treatment.aspx?source=igodigital&

Are you a product sales troll? Or just a troll? I am just wondering.

Also I think a couple Colt 45's are the cheapest audio upgrade I am aware of. There is another substance that can be magical but I am not sure I should name it here . . . lol

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #16,987 of 22,116
Nope. Just trying to be helpful. I have no connection to Music Direct. I did a google and it popped up. If what I did was improper I won't do it again. That being said, if you own HiFiMAN 'phones, this stuff really works, I'm sure there are many online Hifi dealers that sell it and I'm sure there are many High-end audio stores that do as well. BTW, being new to this, what is a "troll"?

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #16,988 of 22,116
  BTW I've been using HeadRoom's Micro Amp and it's crossfeed circuit I've found to be invaluable for the music I listen to which is mostly rock which has been heavily panned during the engineering and production phases. For instance I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond. When I shut off the crossfeed there is a huge difference in the overall presentation of the music. It staggers me why almost every headphone amp manufacture ignores this issue. Meier Audio in Germany is the only other company that includes this feature in it's amp and DAC's. And I believe Grace does this on some of it's units that are very pricey.

I have a HUDA and a Fosgate signature amp both with crossfeed, I notice a slight difference at best with older recordings, I think you are overselling it a bit.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #16,989 of 22,116
I have a HeadRoom Micro Amp and the crossfeed with this unit makes a remarkable difference. BTW at this time HeadRoom no longer manufactures any of their own gear. A prime example is at the beginning of Money from Dark Side of the Moon. When the cash registers bounce from right to the left channel switching the crossfeed on and off makes a huge difference. In older 60's recordings that first started using a stereo mix, the engineers went way overboard with right and left channel panning. HeadRoom was the first company to offer crossfeed and even sold the circuit to other manufacturing companies. The now defunct Sonic Frontiers is a company that comes to mind. Go to Meier Audio's website. They cover the concept of crossfeed in detail. I wouldn't be stating this if it wasn't true. Like I've always said, I let my ears do my talking.

Apr 13, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #16,994 of 22,116
  Really? A $200 amp would not only adequately drive a pair of headphones with a reputation of being notoriously hard to drive and sound good? If that's the case, why doesn't everyone have one? I've never heard of it. I have to admit I'm getting weary of this thread.

You're getting weary? We're getting weary of snake-oil shilling and bizarre assertions of non-science based conclusions of perceived benefits which   ........ come off as trolling.

Back on track please!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back