**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #16,996 of 22,116
We're getting tired? What are you? Some kind of spokesman? Here's the deal. I'm new to this and I seem to be upsetting certain thin-skinned people so I'm going to drop all of my controversial posts. So here goes: The HE-400 headphones are remarkable for what they cost. I'm totally sold on planar technology.

Apr 14, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #16,997 of 22,116
  We're getting tired? What are you? Some kind of spokesman? Here's the deal. I'm new to this and I seem to be upsetting certain thin-skinned people so I'm going to drop all of my controversial posts. So here goes: The HE-400 headphones are remarkable for what they cost. I'm totally sold on planar technology.

Nobody is going to argue with you there 
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #17,001 of 22,116
Crissmini, crossfeed is prohibitively expensive. That is why I cut off my 1/8th stereo plug and replaced it with a mono plug. Now all my recordings have that perfect blend! Lol. <------ Sarcasm.

But seriously, please stop. This thread can offer so much more if we allow others to post to it.

Best,

Mateohead

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #17,003 of 22,116
Hey guys im about to buy the he 400 and was wondering what tube amp works best with it. It would be nice if it worked well with the dt 990 pro 250 ohm and the q701.
Sorry for asking this question if it has already been asked. Looked around google but never got a definite answer.

Budget is around 200-250$

Apr 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #17,004 of 22,116
Has anybody swapped out the cables for the headphones? If so, how did the sound change?

I have a custom
Cable that terminates in a quarter inch. I really cant tell a difference between it anf the stock cable in terms of SQ

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #17,005 of 22,116
Maybe somebody has mentioned this later in the thread, but if not, you can use your X3 as a USB DAC. I'm sure a dedicated amp and DAC would yield better results, but I've been pretty darn impressed with the X3's performance (with my HE-400s). If you don't do much "sitting at your computer listening," this might be the perfect solution (so you can spend money on other stuff).

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #17,006 of 22,116
  Maybe somebody has mentioned this later in the thread, but if not, you can use your X3 as a USB DAC. I'm sure a dedicated amp and DAC would yield better results, but I've been pretty darn impressed with the X3's performance (with my HE-400s). If you don't do much "sitting at your computer listening," this might be the perfect solution (so you can spend money on other stuff).

I am glad to see you mention the X3. That is my main audio source and have some HE-400's coming next week. Do they drive the hp's well? What settings do you use ie...high gain , volume?

Apr 15, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #17,007 of 22,116
  Well...  first time I've heard the HE-400 with more amping than a Fiio E6.  Got in my Fiio X3 today, and I have to admit this headphone certainly feel like a new beast, and beast is right.  It feels quite a bit more aggressive in its sound than before!  I'm realizing just how much I was missing before...  almost makes me want to get a Dac/Amp combo for my comp, but I listen almost exclusively with portable devices, so might not be worth it.

This is the post I meant to quote. I can only compare the X3 to my Sansa Clip+ and the audio out on my MacBook Pro. The extra power the X3 puts out (on high gain) does seem to make a difference to me. A pretty big difference, actually. Switching between my MacBook's audio out and the X3 as a DAC is like night and day. With the X3, the instruments sound weightier; they have more presence. And it seems like the soundstage gets a little deeper.

I'm sure somebody else on here can speak to the difference between a dedicated amp/DAC setup and using the X3 as a USB DAC. (It's probably a pretty big contrast.) I'm sure I'll get upgrade-itis eventually, but for now I'm completely satisfied with the X3/HE-400 combo.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #17,008 of 22,116
I have a custom
Cable that terminates in a quarter inch. I really cant tell a difference between it anf the stock cable in terms of SQ

I was taken to task for too many posts, but since I did do a cable upgrade I'll go ahead a place myself in a position to be ridiculed. I do notice an improvement in overall clarity and transient response, but only after many hours breaking in the cable. However the improvement was not jaw-dropping, but it was worth the cost.

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #17,009 of 22,116
HE400s + Class-A biased M-Stage + EDM = match made in heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzuYylyjY_I

Dat ortho bass punch. Kick hits hard, fast and with bulk powah. Still in love, 2 years later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back