**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 17, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #17,026 of 22,116
  Looks like the little dot I+ has got a 8ohm output impedance so you won't have clipping but you won't have good dampening factor so the bass will theoretically suffer. Project starlight will be suitable to drive the dt250 250ohm yeah.

Damping factor doesn't make any difference for orthos because they have a completely flat impedance curve. 

I used the Little Dot MK3 with the HE-400 for a while. It was decent, but it clipped at high volumes. I still don't understand why, as it should have enough power on paper. Oh well... It's long gone now. 

I'm considering getting a Vali though. I know there's a few people here who use the combo. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #17,027 of 22,116

Damping factor doesn't make any difference for orthos because they have a completely flat impedance curve. 

I used the Little Dot MK3 with the HE-400 for a while. It was decent, but it clipped at high volumes. I still don't understand why, as it should have enough power on paper. Oh well... It's long gone now. 

I'm considering getting a Vali though. I know there's a few people here who use the combo. 

ManBear do you hear a difference with battery power on your chain or is it a case of "better safe than sorry" ?
I have the Ankaka battery from Singapore bookmarked to completely isolate DAC and speaker amp...but not entirely convinced.....

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #17,028 of 22,116
Little dot mk 3 with tubes rolling
Mullard CV 4010 and 6H30Pi

Cheap and good SQ

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #17,029 of 22,116
I would also like to know the answer to this question. 

I should be able to answer this question this week. I just ordered a pair of the 400's to try with my Pan Am. While the Pan Am isn't under $250 it is available used for decent prices.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #17,030 of 22,116

ManBear do you hear a difference with battery power on your chain or is it a case of "better safe than sorry" ?
I have the Ankaka battery from Singapore bookmarked to completely isolate DAC and speaker amp...but not entirely convinced.....

Honestly, I do not hear a difference. I was curious about using a battery so I figured I'd give it a try, and now that I have it I might as well use it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think something is wrong with your computer's USB power. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #17,031 of 22,116

Honestly, I do not hear a difference. I was curious about using a battery so I figured I'd give it a try, and now that I have it I might as well use it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you think something is wrong with your computer's USB power. 

Thanks ! As it adds up to about $260 for 2x Ankaka isolation batteries and it is cash that can go towards more headphones or a better amp....

Apr 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #17,033 of 22,116
just got my he400s today! about an hour in with the magni/modi stack,
so far out of the box it sounds fantastic!! still too early for full impressions though. i really don't hear any veiling like some have said.. could be that they need a hearing test. I've given some of my friends hearing tests with a tone slider and some can't even hear 13khz due to hearing damage.

Apr 17, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #17,034 of 22,116
I'm having a problem with mine and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I was listening to these and pumped up the volume a bit, and it seemed as if suddenly the right driver went dead. I changed the balance on the computer so all the volume went to the right and noticed it still makes sound, but very faint. If I set the balance to normal, I the left side works fine but I can basically not hear anything from the right.

It's not the cable. I have already tried switching sides and nothing changes. The rights side simply stays quiet. Right now I'm running through an O2+ODAC from my computer. If I plug it in directly to the computer, my phone, or my stereo, it still is very quiet just on the right.

I bought these used on here and they have been working fine for the first month now, but hopefully they are not broken. If anyone has experienced somethings similar and has a fix I would greatly appreciate it.

Apr 17, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #17,036 of 22,116
5 mins??? Jeez... I was wearing mine last night for a few hours. After awhile I FINALLY began to NOTICE the clamp, but it wasn't bothersome, I just became aware of it. The weight has not been a factor at all. While I wouldn't call them the most comfortable phones I have ever had on my head, I don't have any comfort issues w/ them at all.

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #17,037 of 22,116
  Any definitive comfort solutions for the HE400? I just can't wear them for more than 5min (weight + headband/clamp issues). I've tried Alpha pads but they ruin the sound :frowning2: 

You can start by gently bending the headband. Gently.

Then you can try twisting the cups to the angle of your head. Pinch the hifiman logo to the headband, and twist. It is stiff, and the cups are not held on by much, so be careful.

Both of those increased comfort for me!

Apr 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #17,038 of 22,116
  I'm having a problem with mine and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar.

I was listening to these and pumped up the volume a bit, and it seemed as if suddenly the right driver went dead. I changed the balance on the computer so all the volume went to the right and noticed it still makes sound, but very faint. If I set the balance to normal, I the left side works fine but I can basically not hear anything from the right.

It's not the cable. I have already tried switching sides and nothing changes. The rights side simply stays quiet. Right now I'm running through an O2+ODAC from my computer. If I plug it in directly to the computer, my phone, or my stereo, it still is very quiet just on the right.

I bought these used on here and they have been working fine for the first month now, but hopefully they are not broken. If anyone has experienced somethings similar and has a fix I would greatly appreciate it.

You say it is not the cables but did you rotate them into opposite connector ? Tried another set of headphones in the same audio chain ?

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #17,039 of 22,116
Hello guys, I am trying to get a sense of how this headphone plays the low end. I have gone through Mad Dogs v3.2 (balanced and SE) and the AlphaDogs and I am just wondering if they are very similar in the low end or not. FYI, I am  currently using Fidelio X1 which I really like.

Thanks for the help.

Just ran across this:

Quote:
  The he400 seems to add a touch more bass than the MD, where the Maddog seems to be more linear and true to the recording. Most would appreciate the extra coloration on the he400 as it provides a bit more "fun." 

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #17,040 of 22,116
I found the HE-400 to have a way stronger low-end than the Mad Dog 3.2.

I would actually consider the Mad Dog bass to have more of a non-linaer bass than the HE-400.  Whereas the Mad Dog has some noticeable hump in the 200-300hz region, the HE-400 is more flat there.  The HE-400 is a good bit stronger down low under 50hz and snappier around 100-200hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back