Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #1,939 of 4,142
  Those pads look awesome, I wish they could keep the sound sig!

The sound with them can still be a nice alternative to the HE4 sound. Honestly it's like a different headphone with the same planar magnetic delivery. Not bad having two different sounds from one phone (vs owning another one). However one of the the things that really makes the HE4 shine to me is it's accurate reproduction of stringed instruments with it's treble micro details and unfortunately that's lost.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,940 of 4,142
My thoughts exactly... hoping the new he-560 pads will do the trick for comfort and not change the sound. Just more waiting...

Oh guyz. I already told you, the DT 880 Velours sound the same on the HE 4 as the stock ones do, best of all the DT 880 VElours are much more comfy

May 1, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #1,942 of 4,142
How can the 560 pads be mounted to the HE4? They use a different mechanism. So I'm curious.

May 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #1,945 of 4,142
Oh guyz. I already told you, the DT 880 Velours sound the same on the HE 4 as the stock ones do, best of all the DT 880 VElours are much more comfy

I remember, but they're just so damned ugly... Maybe the black velour beyer pads would work?

How can the 560 pads be mounted to the HE4? They use a different mechanism. So I'm curious.

The HE-560s use a modified tab system, but the ring inside the pad is removable. If we're lucky, Hifiman will be generous and include both sets of rings in these improved Jerg-inspired pads.

I'm fairly certain jerg confirmed that they use the same mounting mechanism (4 tabs), just that the plastic rings where adhered to the new pads on his demo pair.

He did, just too many off topic comments in the HE-560 threads to find it anymore!

May 1, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #1,947 of 4,142
Got my HE-4 yesterday and I've been listening to it for the whole day, comparing it to the DT880 @600 Ohms (with custom cable, never heard the original and I have no idea if it makes any difference), both running through the Aune T1 (stock tube).

And I gotta say they're both much more alike than what I thought.

Maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough or the Aune T1 doesn't do justice to the HE-4. The only differences I can tell are that the HE-4 is a little more balanced, airyer and maybe bigger soundstage because of that, and micro detail.

May 1, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,948 of 4,142
They do have similarities, listened for the first time to the DT880 600ohm at a meet last weekend (used to own the Pro) and the HE4 to me is better. If you bought new I would give it at least 100hrs before comparing.

Also if you're willing to mod, a grill mod and felt mod would do wonders for it.

May 1, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,949 of 4,142
Not sure how powerful the T1 is, but the HE4 scales up CONSIDERABLY with better amping. It can also change in character depending on what you amp it with. It was fun off the Lyr, and very refined off the SA-31.

May 1, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,950 of 4,142
The T1 puts out somewhere in the ballpark of a Watt if I remember correctly. You want more power to go with for the HE4. While it might sound quite good off the T1, an amp with more power like an Audio GD, Emo will sound considerably more refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back