Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 2, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,966 of 4,142
I think there is a case for high dynamic swings and some smaller amps not having the beefy equipment like huge transformers to satisfy the swings for that type of music-- leading to less impactful dynamic peaks that you usually get from drums etc, but as far as changing the sound of headphones dramatically, power is one of the most erroneous and dangerous myths on head-fi imo, ime, imho, ymmv, +1.

I don't doubt at all that Thujone and others have found the lowly Vali to sound best with the HE-4 other over notable favorites like the Emotiva mini and others.

May 2, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,967 of 4,142
Seriously... I shouldn't even bother.

Are you referring to me? And your previous post where you mention criticism is directed at me too? If so I don't see what thats got to do with my find and post.

May 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,968 of 4,142
My initial post was in response to Rinx7. Basically, if you have enough volume with enough headroom to handle dynamic swings, you have enough power. Period. I've tried saying this several times in the past but, as TMRaven has pointed out, there is still a big stigma that a headphone's sound quality completely revolves around power output.

As far as your find/preference, I think it's interesting! No shame in loving something affordable or off-the-wall
biggrin.gif
. I'm just trying to point out that the lack of bass impact has nothing to do with your lack of power.

May 2, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #1,969 of 4,142
  My initial post was in response to Rinx7. Basically, if you have enough volume without enough headroom to handle dynamic swings, you have enough power. Period. I've tried saying this several times in the past but, as TMRaven has pointed out, there is still a big stigma that a headphone's sound quality completely revolves around power output.

As far as your find/preference, I think it's interesting! No shame in loving something affordable or off-the-wall
biggrin.gif
. I'm just trying to point out that the lack of bass impact has nothing to do with your lack of power.

With?

May 2, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #1,971 of 4,142
As far as your find/preference, I think it's interesting! No shame in loving something affordable or off-the-wall :D . I'm just trying to point out that the lack of bass impact has nothing to do with your lack of power.

I see. Its ironic that I said the bass is lacking due to power as I also usually say HE-4 or HE-500 don't need a speaker amp. But couldn't think of anything else in this case, this device is so small and underwhelming visually that it seemed like it must be under powering the headphones.

I have tried the HE-4 with a speaker amp a couple years ago (pics can be found in my Flickr if interested) but the results were not favourable.

May 2, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #1,972 of 4,142
I've had similar poor results with speaker amps (notably the Emotiva mini-X). It was very dynamic/punchy but so grainy and closed in. I never understood the "wide soundstage" everyone claims the Emotiva has.

May 2, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #1,973 of 4,142
My results from memory was also graininess, bloomy and overpowered bass and lack of detail. Don't remember how the soundstage was. Interesting that you don't like the X as so many think highly of it. But I am not surprised.

May 2, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #1,974 of 4,142
  Oh guyz. I already told you, the DT 880 Velours sound the same on the HE 4 as the stock ones do, best of all the DT 880 VElours are much more comfy

Hey, does the DT880 velour silver pads allow you to stuff it under the pad? Not between the ring and portion that wraps around the HF ring but directly underneath the pad?

May 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,975 of 4,142
The mini x is a decent amp, not great, and definitely over hyped here. The hype train on that thing couldn't be stopped! But for the price, still a decent unit for sure, just not something I cared a ton for.

May 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #1,976 of 4,142
So I decided to stay with the HE-4 and sell both DT880 and Aune T1 to fund a better amp.

What would you guys recommend me up to $350-400?

May 3, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,979 of 4,142
I would try to get a SS DAC if possible. I haven't used the Aune but I had the D1 and I really didn't like the tube DAC in hindsight. Plus, if what I read is true, most of the Aune coloring is from the DAC portion. Some love it though. I think that Modi + Ember could be really great, though I haven't ever tried the Modi either... Too many options, that's for sure!

May 3, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #1,980 of 4,142
I would try to get a SS DAC if possible. I haven't used the Aune but I had the D1 and I really didn't like the tube DAC in hindsight. Plus, if what I read is true, most of the Aune coloring is from the DAC portion. Some love it though. I think that Modi + Ember could be really great, though I haven't ever tried the Modi either... Too many options, that's for sure!

I'm thinking of trying the ODAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back