Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
May 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #1,953 of 4,142
The Aune T1 is known for being pretty colored (syrupy, if you will), though I haven't ever listened to it myself. I would definitely recommend trying some other amps though. I really like the DT880 and the HE-4 but the HE-4 definitely comes out on top for me in the end.

May 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,954 of 4,142
The Aune T1 is known for being pretty colored (syrupy, if you will), though I haven't ever listened to it myself. I would definitely recommend trying some other amps though. I really like the DT880 and the HE-4 but the HE-4 definitely comes out on top for me in the end.

I can agree with that, but it's certainly easier to get the 250ohm DT880 to perform top notch, which easily can out classes a sub par HE-4 setup. At a mini meet I hosted, the best (synergetic may be more accurate) setup was a DT880 driven by a 10yr old portable amp. There were many great setups, but unanimously, we were all shocked by the combo. I would love to hear my HE-4s at their full potential one day...

May 2, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #1,955 of 4,142
I don't know if I should sell both Aune T1 and DT880 to fund some money for a better amp or if I should stick with the DT880, sell the HE-4 to get my money back and be done.

May 2, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #1,956 of 4,142
I don't know if I should sell both Aune T1 and DT880 to fund some money for a better amp or if I should stick with the DT880, sell the HE-4 to get my money back and be done.

You'd probably achieve better results from DT880 by taking advantage of Aunes line out to a dedicated amp. I own 250ohm DT880 and IMO the Aune doesn't drive them to desirable levels 'properly', it works but I achieve better results feeding JDS C421 in high gain from Aune T1's line out.

May 2, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #1,957 of 4,142
You'd probably achieve better results from DT880 by taking advantage of Aunes line out to a dedicated amp. I own 250ohm DT880 and IMO the Aune doesn't drive them to desirable levels 'properly', it works but I achieve better results feeding JDS C421 in high gain from Aunes T1's line out.

Yeah, maybe you're right. I just don't like the idea of spending more on amping than on the headphones itself.

May 2, 2014 at 6:49 AM Post #1,958 of 4,142
Yeah, maybe you're right. I just don't like the idea of spending more on amping than on the headphones itself.

I was thinking of trying Magni, although I worry it may be a downgrade from JDS C421. (which is giving good results)

I will probably try anyway. 

Sorry for slightly drifting off topic guys! 

May 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #1,960 of 4,142
Just an interesting find: I have been using HE-4 for movies and games for the past couple of months and not long ago I have listened to some music using the same setup and it sounded surprisingly good. Even more surprising is that the HE-4 are powered by Samson Meteor microphone that also has an internal DAC.
Sure its obvious the HE-4 are lacking for example bass impact but the sound is so sweet and dynamic, very enjoyable. I have once taken the Starving Student tube amp, ODAC and iPad as source along with HE-4 to vacation and it wasn't as nearly as enjoyable as this cheap and simple setup. :)

May 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,963 of 4,142
Lacking bass impact? Wut? They must not have enough power.

Yep, not enough power but it doesn't clip and the sound is really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back