Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Apr 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,921 of 4,142
Noobie question, but I don't quite know where to ask it, so here it goes.
Will tube rolling affect the power output of an amplifier?
I ask because I see that a lot of you guys are using amps that throw above 2W of power into the HE-4, but my Project Sunrise III will, according to G1217, only put 1W into 32 Ohms. I'm wondering if I could increase this by using a higher gain tube, like a 12AX7.
Also, does anyone have any impressions with the Sunrise III? I'm trying to decide between this headphone and the HE-400, and I don't really want to buy a whole new amplifier right now.
Thanks.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,922 of 4,142
I ask because I see that a lot of you guys are using amps that throw above 2W of power into the HE-4, but my Project Sunrise III will, according to G1217, only put 1W into 32 Ohms. I'm wondering if I could increase this by using a higher gain tube, like a 12AX7.
Also, does anyone have any impressions with the Sunrise III? I'm trying to decide between this headphone and the HE-400, and I don't really want to buy a whole new amplifier right now.
Thanks.

I'm afraid not, anyway, there's no reason to do that, it doesn't need that much power.

Apr 17, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,923 of 4,142
Thanks.

I know that the tube will affect power output, but I couldn't tell you if the 12AX7 will increase/decrease the output. However, 1W should be enough for the HE-4.

purrin posted some good results with Project Sunrise with the HE-4 on a different forum comparing it to the Schiit Vali: 
 Vali is brighter, but harmonically richer with better microdynamic contrasts and articulation throughout from bass to treble. Sunrise is quieter. Treble is more refined and laid back. More tubby or traditionally tubey (smeared) in the bass. 

Although I feel the Vali is stronger technically, I prefer the Sunrise over the Vali with the HE-4 because the Sunrise synergizes more with the HE-4: it slightly tames the treble issues I have with the HE-4.

P.S. Not huge differences though. Sunrise isn't anything like the EF-5 which is kind of super forgiving and in my mind designed to work the HFM HE-5, HE-6 headphones.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,924 of 4,142
I wonder, what is the real, competition for a he4 rival? or upgrade from he4? is it stax? sr007 + blue hawaii? Thoughts? P.S. i hate this place!!!

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #1,925 of 4,142
^^^ this would be mainly for the rock, grunge prog rock and metal genres by the way, so something like the hd800 would be a no go from what i hear.

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #1,926 of 4,142
^^^ this would be mainly for the rock, grunge prog rock and metal genres by the way, so something like the hd800 would be a no go from what i hear.

I love both my HE-4 and my HD800. They serve both very different purposes. I notice the HD800 is much less forgiving with my indie pop obsession. Hoping the HE-560 is somewhere in between the two sound signatures with a bit tighter bass. I'm hoping someone puts up a freq response chart with the HE-500, HE-560, and the HD800 (and the PM-1 to incite flames and war :evil: )

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #1,927 of 4,142
The thing with the HD800 is needing an amp/DAC combo that costs +$5000 to reach their full potential, or at least that's what I hear from users I respect a lot... 
rolleyes.gif

Not saying you can't get great sound out of them on a budget, but still.

Apr 19, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #1,928 of 4,142
The thing with the HD800 is needing an amp/DAC combo that costs +$5000 to reach their full potential, or at least that's what I hear from users I respect a lot... :rolleyes:  

Not saying you can't get great sound out of them on a budget, but still.

Hoping my next purchase - Oppo HA-1 does the trick. Or it's back to my EF5. So far, I like that pairing over the SPL Phonitor 1. Crossing my fingers... That said, I just got a killer deal on a vintage NAD integrated that was just refurbed. Now to hook up the HE-4 to it and compare to the EF5. I'm expecting the biggest difference to be In the bass department...

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #1,929 of 4,142
Any of you guys have pleather pads they don't use? I have an unopened velour pair if anyone is interested in doing me the favour in trading them. :)

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,930 of 4,142
shameless plug, he4 and 10se up for interest check/sale on the forums, pm me with questions/offers.

Apr 24, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #1,932 of 4,142
Oh I do, just need money for kids, and don't have time to appreciate what took me so long to build up. Honestly, now that I have everything except an awesome closed, the only option to upgrade is to go stax, and I don't have the money for that. O doubt ill actually sell the combo though, I'm sure ill get nothing but low ball offers

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,933 of 4,142
he4 stll in possesion, so "re-felted"...gonna get down on some listening now. The felt be coming right back off...

Apr 29, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,934 of 4,142
Heads up, just tried the HE4 with TH600 angled pads:

Got them in and on the HE4, I can say it changes the sound quite a bit. The airy treble is gone and treble detail is less, slight mid-bass boost,  and an overall warm tilt. Where with velours the HE4 excelled in string instrument sound reproduction, they now sound how most headphones do. Which is still decent but nowhere near as life-like. These make the headphones warm sounding which people might find favorable, makes great for movies and poorly recorded tracks while still keeping that planar magnetic presentation. For reference like sound however, I'd go back to the velours.

I also tried it with a back-vent (pics on the bottom) but found the bass control off with them.

This is a definite improvement from those D2000 pads in a sense there's a much opening area. I do gotta say the D2000 pads are more comfy (at least the ones being sold from China on E-bay, which I don't think are genuine Denon).

Denon TH600 Pads:

On the headphone:

With a @jerg pad back-vent:

Apr 29, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #1,935 of 4,142
Thanks for the write up, I still want to try a few different leather pads, and those shure alcantra pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back