Hifiman HE-4 Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,907 of 4,142
  Scroll to the top of the page where it says "recent images in this thread" and click on "view all".

Yours are not stock. Should have kept your stock pair.

@Thujone, you posted a picture in this thread of the back side of HE-4, picture dated Dec 17, 2013.  There is a star shaped dampener in that picture.  Is that your mod, your picture?

That same image was posted by hemipowered007 Jan 2, 2014!

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #1,908 of 4,142
  Those look awesome! Did you remove some of the felt under the grill? Mine look different...

Yeah, the Alphas aren't a bad choice at all. Just a bit thinner than I would like. I did my listening from a speaker amp as well.

I'm looking for some information on this mod.....anyone here know about it @Thujone?

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #1,910 of 4,142
  They have no mod. This is stock form. I thought you were interested in the earside?

So the back looks like that?  What about the grey foam, you said that isn't stock!  I contacted Matt at Audio Adviser and he is looking into who may have returned them this way!

Thanks

Apr 15, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #1,912 of 4,142
Thanks for posting the pictures!  It looks like someone just added the foam under the baffles, probably to affect the treble!

I returned my first pair to Amazon, so I was within the 30 days.  I thought the 400i and 560 would be out by now, so I ordered the HE-4 again.  I'm getting the HE-560, keeping the HE-4 this time, my setup changed since the first time I had them, that story is too long to talk about.  I prefer the HE-4 over the HE-500 and HE-6, and it sounds like the HE-560 will be along the lines of what I like in the HE-4.  Sold my Alpha Dogs today, but they are kind of a closed version of what the HE-4 offers.....but I couldn't wear the AD for more that half hour at a time because of health issues!  Waiting to get the HE-560, and down the road the new Fostex open back, hope they come with velour!

Apr 15, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,913 of 4,142
let us all know what you think about he4 vs 560 when you get them.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,914 of 4,142
 Yal that sold your he4s to nab a 560 better hope that 500 dollar upgrade is worth it... Audio-gd 10se plus he4- TO ME, is end game...Im done with the he4 setup, i may buy an ember still, because i want to tube roll like a cool kid, but thats not a necessity for me. I do wish, i could find an amp as clean and clear as this audio-gd, but with the bass "punch" the mini-x had. Too bad the mini-x bass sounded off, like to much? not good quality, something, at first i was like "damn the mini-x has that bass!" until i gave it a while and found it just didnt sound "right". The 10se, sounds right, but lacks on the lower end, which is fine, i dont need to be a bass head, and im sure i can eq it in. Anyhow, looking forward to a few months from now, when we can trust the 560 reviews, and maybe see some direct comparisons by people who actually have heard, and enjoyed the he4. Until then, ill enjoy what ive got.

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #1,915 of 4,142
Welcome Cute! Sorry to hear your having some trouble with your HE 4 but yea, mine too is like the pics posted. 

Star felt on the one side, clear mesh on the other 

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #1,916 of 4,142
  Welcome Cute! Sorry to hear your having some trouble with your HE 4 but yea, mine too is like the pics posted. 

Star felt on the one side, clear mesh on the other 

Audio Adviser says it came from Hifiman that way, special tuning to smooth the treble!

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,917 of 4,142

Audio Adviser says it came from Hifiman that way, special tuning to smooth the treble!

you may want to ask fang on here about that....or one of those Hifiman insiders

Apr 16, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #1,918 of 4,142
   Yal that sold your he4s to nab a 560 better hope that 500 dollar upgrade is worth it... Audio-gd 10se plus he4- TO ME, is end game...Im done with the he4 setup, i may buy an ember still, because i want to tube roll like a cool kid, but thats not a necessity for me. I do wish, i could find an amp as clean and clear as this audio-gd, but with the bass "punch" the mini-x had. Too bad the mini-x bass sounded off, like to much? not good quality, something, at first i was like "damn the mini-x has that bass!" until i gave it a while and found it just didnt sound "right". The 10se, sounds right, but lacks on the lower end, which is fine, i dont need to be a bass head, and im sure i can eq it in. Anyhow, looking forward to a few months from now, when we can trust the 560 reviews, and maybe see some direct comparisons by people who actually have heard, and enjoyed the he4. Until then, ill enjoy what ive got.

I'm starting to wonder how much bass that Mini-X had. To me the Audio-GD were miles ahead bass-wise vs the Vali or the D100's amp. Maybe try some pleather pads or or the new 560 pads when they come out to get more bass.

Good to hear you're enjoying the new rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back