Hiby R6 Pro II (2023 Edition) - Launch, Hype, Thoughts & More
Apr 6, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #1,741 of 1,953
Excuse me, what do you mean? Are you saying that the jack of my cable is damaged? Can you please clarify, why do you say that my cable is damaged, IF I understand you correctly? I have tried the exact same cable with my FiiO BTR7 today and it works fine. With the Hiby this same cable was working fine, as well. It was the 3.5mm audio output that was not playing on the HiBy DAP. Today, though, I have tried the same balanced cable and then another 3.5mm unbalanced cable with my BTR7 and both outputs worked fine.

So, what exactly do you mean?

I am asking because IF this balanced cable is damaged, I will throw it away right now!

PS: I have very rarely used that specific cable and jack. I am into Bluetooth so I am not listening wired. This cable and its jack was stored inside the package of my RAPTGO HOOK-X and I used it just out of curiosity to observe how the DAP functions and sounds, BALANCED.
The jack is the port on the player, the connector on your cable is called a plug.

https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/audio+jack

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Apr 6, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #1,742 of 1,953
Thank you @bk123 and @Etx1 for clarifying. I'm not a native English speaker.

So, may I ask you, does @Joe Bloggs imply in his message that I should wait for a replacement of the 4.4mm balanced port on the device itself and then have it posted back to me, instead of sending me a brand new unit? Is that what he means?!

Because IF that is what he means, I am not willing to accept that! This is infuriating! The device, itself is faulty, so why should I wait for a month, two months, who knows for how long, for this device to get back to the factory in China, have the port replaced, sent back to the UK shop and then sent to me?!?! This is completely inacceptable!

This device was purchased on 24/03/2024. IF this is what they mean, I will make whatever I possibly can to get a full refund!
I would prefer a replacement with a fully functionable and brand new device, though.
I was addressing the issue in general, your case should of course be treated as a Dead on Arrival and treated with a replacement unit accordingly (once confirmed by them to be a hardware fault, which seems very likely).

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:12 AM Post #1,743 of 1,953
The jack is the port on the player, the connector on your cable is called a plug.

https://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/audio+jack

I was addressing the issue in general, your case should of course be treated as a Dead on Arrival and treated with a replacement unit accordingly.

Ooh, thank your Highness for taking the time to reply and clarify the matter to me and educate me! We could have avoided this if you'd have referred to my specific case (DOA) since you were addressing me.

Anyways, looking forward to a swift and smooth resolution! 👍

I appreciate and really like the HiBy R6 Pro II :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #1,744 of 1,953
Ooh, thank your Highness for taking the time to reply and clarify the matter to me and educate me! We could have avoided this if you'd have referred to my specific case (DOA) since you were addressing me.

Sorry I sounded short, I replied to your first query addressing the technical merits of a repair vs a replacement and forgot what a new buyer you were 😅

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #1,745 of 1,953

Relax and save your own nerve cells. It will be fine, can be frustrating but it's not a terrible event with consequences.

Just saying, nerves are more important, relax, it is what it is and will get sorted out, and you'll enjoy again. Life is good.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #1,746 of 1,953
Relax and save your own nerve cells. It will be fine, can be frustrating but it's not a terrible event with consequences.

Just saying, nerves are more important, relax, it is what it is and will get sorted out, and you'll enjoy again. Life is good.

Well, the HiBy R6 Pro II is the first DAP that I've decided to keep and really give myself to it. As can been seen in my signature, always fully up to date, I am mostly into Bluetooth devices, which I really appreciate and have offered and are offering me plenty of hours of listening joy. I just got this DAP, though, to live the experience of a good DAP, to explore the full potential -as they say- of all of my IEMs/Headphones, besides the HD600, and more importantly, to decide on my own and for myself IF a good DAP can actually sound that much better than LDAC 990/909kbps, that I am used to.

Well, as soon as I was ready to start this journey, it broke down!
Joe, a man of few words... 😂🍭.... has not helped much.

No worries, all good :)

Apr 6, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #1,747 of 1,953
Well, the HiBy R6 Pro II is the first DAP that I've decided to keep and really give myself to it. As can been seen in my signature, always fully up to date, I am mostly into Bluetooth devices, which I really appreciate and have offered and are offering me plenty of hours of listening joy. I just got this DAP, though, to live the experience of a good DAP, to explore the full potential -as they say- of all of my IEMs/Headphones, besides the HD600, and more importantly, to decide on my own and for myself IF a good DAP can actually sound that much better than LDAC 990/909kbps, that I am used to.

If I am correct, to be fair, Head-Fi is not a vendor or manufacturer support forum, but more of a social media platform where consumers help each other and where company representatives (who are frequently more in media / marketing and not support or engineers) engage with customers. Where that engagement helps to resolve issues that's a great bonus...

Apr 6, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,748 of 1,953

You must be glad at how active and supportive @Joe Bloggs is. This is just a discussion forum, not a customer support forum like @jsmiller58 said. Most manufacturers are present on this forum only to market and promote their products and get some feedback. Honestly the only 2 brands I’ve seen the most active also in direct support are Hiby and Cayin, iBasso to some extent too. Other brands mostly will simply ask you to contact your local dealer without even explaining anything as this is the normal procedure. Your local dealer is responsible for your warranty.

I understand your frustration, it’s a brand new device and it should be replaced. Wait and see how it goes with your dealer. This is why I repeat, always buy from a good reputed local dealer, not from dodgy websites or eBay resellers.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #1,749 of 1,953

A DAP is lossless whereas LDAC is still lossy, but where I think our DAPs really shine over any plain audio connection, is their full suite of audio processing facilities, MSEB, PEQ, DRX10K, convolution...

To use an analogy, having cleaner sources, amplification etc. is like cleaning your hotel window with ever more sophisticated cleaning agents. It helps you see outside better, but doesn't help much if you don't like the view provided by your set of earphones and your choice of music sources. The above facilities help with that. Well, the above facilities will be like having a gardener work on the garden outside, whereas changing what music you listen to will be like moving to a different hotel 😅

If you ever get your replacement unit and are interested in exploring the above, I'm all ears (and a lot of words to boot)

Last edited:

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #1,750 of 1,953
A DAP is lossless whereas LDAC is still lossy, but where I think our DAPs really shine over any plain audio connection, is their full suite of audio processing facilities, MSEB, PEQ, DRX10K, convolution...

To use an analogy, having cleaner sources, amplification etc. is like cleaning your hotel window with ever more sophisticated cleaning agents. It helps you see outside better, but doesn't help much if you don't like the view provided by your set of earphones and your choice of music sources. The above facilities help with that. Well, the above facilities will be like having a gardener work on the garden outside, whereas changing what music you listen to will be like moving to a different hotel 😅

If you ever get your replacement unit and are interested in exploring the above, I'm all ears (and a lot of words to boot)
Joe, is there a way to apply a crossfeed filter I global filters/plugins?

-Ed

Apr 6, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #1,751 of 1,953
Joe, is there a way to apply a crossfeed filter I global filters/plugins?

-Ed
Yes, via convolution. I had made one such before:
native 44.1kHz: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqhbbm1019xzt51/Joe's lossless crossfeed v2-44k.wav?dl=0
native 48kHz: https://www.dropbox.com/s/25gfuztv46e3p37/Joe's lossless crossfeed v2-48k.wav?dl=0

(unchecking "other sample rate bypass" will allow you to apply the effect to all suppported sample rate streams regardless of which sample above you use)

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #1,752 of 1,953
Thanks for @Joe Bloggs & as always @Damz87 for the Australian tour of this DAP. Here are some brief impressions from my time with the R6 P2, all thoughts are my own.

I won't go into the look and feel too much, it's a very nice looking DAP, I found the usability pretty good and didn't experience any lag while navigating. The included EQ and settings that you can change are plentiful and all worked quite well. I prefer to not play around with much, so generally left everything off, however when using some IEM's where I don't enjoy their base tuning so much (something like the Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite) the many settings did work well and I could turn it into something that I really enjoyed (similar to what happened when I paired the Orchestra Lite with a much nicer cable). I also played around with them to try and match my comparison points.

Battery life was OK, I went through three cycles and got 8 hours each time.

I primarily listened to this while using the Tidal app, although did load some tracks up as well. Tidal worked well, I found the navigation a little unintuitive for loaded tracks but got there in the end. I like most music so listened to a large variety of genres. From an IEM perspective I mainly used my AK x VE Aura, but also listened to some others across the price spectrum. My main point of comparison is the FiiO Q7 which I connect up to my iPhone, and a couple of walkman's (ZX300 and ZX507).

Overall I found it to be a mainly neutral DAP, ever so slightly warm leaning. Without playing with the sound altering options it really allows the IEM's characteristics come through. I didn't notice any noise using sensitive IEMs, and it sufficiently powered all of the IEM's I threw at it. Moving onto headphones it was fine with ones which don't require a lot of power (which to be honest are generally ones that you'd use with a DAP) however I found it didn't have enough juice to bring out the full potential of some of my power hungry ones (as opposed to the Q7 which easily eats them up). I didn't notice much of a staging difference between the R6P2 and Q7, however I found that the Q7 slightly had the edge when it comes to dynamics, turning on the dynamics setting helped to address this bringing it close to the same which was very cool. Comparing it to my Walkman's, they are both a little warmer, and smoother, however the R6P2 easily has more power and presents a more natural tuning - horses for courses. Similar to the dynamics settings you can play with other settings to get something close to the Walkman output but I couldn't get it match exactly.

I really enjoyed my time with the R6P2, I was tossing up buying one of these, however between my Walkman's and the Q7 I don't think I'd get a lot of use out of it, it'd be a sideways step more than an upgrade. That said, if I didn't have the walkman's I'd absolutely buy one of these due to the myriad of tuning options and it's an easy recommendation to anyone looking for something around this price point. My next step will likely be up... need to try the R8 II!

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #1,753 of 1,953

@Joe Bloggs

Joe, are we going to see the global PEQ on some of the older DAPs like R5, R6 and R6 2020? And also R3?

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #1,755 of 1,953
got my unit yesterday and surprised to see how musical sounding it is. definitely beyond my expectations even driving my demanding IEMs.

only thing i need to get used to would be side buttons unless there is a way to disable them that i cant find ?

oh, and is there a way i can control r6pro2 via an app such as mconnect on iphone ? i think hiby cast is good but a bit laggy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back