Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
May 20, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #11,896 of 12,591
Guys, Im going round in circles. Please suggest several subbass focused IEMs up to a budget of £200?
TFZ No.3, great bass and lots of it, but not specifically sub bass focused. BLON BL03, also lots of bass, but not all sub bass. If wanting an open-back planar, the Audeze iSine 10 with cypher cable (if you have an iPhone) has a lot of bass, and you can use the EQ to make it sub bass focused.

May 20, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #11,897 of 12,591
Hi all,

I'm looking for a basshead reccomendation for daily use on the train, so I need something without a vent, as isolation and minimal sound leakage

I'd love to be able to maintain the clarity of my Atlas if possible, while being able to shake my brain a bit.

Budget... 1k'ish although some people mention 64 N8, and could maaaybe stretch to something like that if it really warranted it.

Living in New Zealand the whole trial and error thing isn't as easy here as we don't have amazon / eBay trial policy's like I see in America, nor do majority of the gear listed in these threads exist in my country, however I'm happy to import a solution

Since you mentioned the N8, if you’re willing to get a CIEM, which provides superb isolation, and as a lot of bass, I’d consider the UE6 Pro. If I want lots of bass, and lots of isolation, this is my current choice. It has quite a balanced graph, but subjectively, they sound a bit V-shaped, but mids are not too recessed. The bass has a lot of sub bass focus. The mids sound “analog” and smooth, though not very highly resolving. The treble is not really bright, and is not sibilant, but has a lot of >10KHz output. I was skeptical of the bass output of a 6mm DD, but I can assure you, it’s a lot! This currently has the most sub bass of all IEMs that I own.

E47DA2B1-4E13-4E0D-A4DC-3D1976C28611.png

B80E7E0B-54E3-4E45-97DB-C9C1862F3F86.png

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #11,899 of 12,591
This thread needs revived. Looks like I need to spend some money on this never ending basshead quest..... The IMR Rah is great, but isolation is terrible. The uf ybf isso14 is good, but not good enough. The bq3 is fun, but there are new shiny objects.

Time to order some new stuff....

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:27 AM Post #11,900 of 12,591
This thread needs revived. Looks like I need to spend some money on this never ending basshead quest..... The IMR Rah is great, but isolation is terrible. The uf ybf isso14 is good, but not good enough. The bq3 is fun, but there are new shiny objects.

Ever consider the ThieAudio Legacy 9 or the 7Hz i99?

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #11,902 of 12,591
IMG_20200629_094109.jpg
How 'bout some throwback? W50 w/ Onso.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #11,903 of 12,591
Ever consider the ThieAudio Legacy 9 or the 7Hz i99?
I have the L3, so no real desire to try the 9 based on the feedback. I wouldn't consider the L3 basshead... Just a very unique sounding set.

Thanks for the heads up on the 7hz i99. It's worthy of more research. The Penon orb, dunu dm480, fiio fd1 are likely being ordered tomorrow.... The 7hz i99 has now joined the dunu dk 3001 pro on my short list for a midfi set before the diminishing returns problem really kicks in.

Jun 29, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #11,904 of 12,591
IMG_20200629_094109.jpg
How 'bout some throwback? W50 w/ Onso.

1593409777689.png

(courtesy: Crinacle graphs)
& the legend lives on, albeit an intimate staging, compared to newer offerings...

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #11,905 of 12,591
I hear ya. I've slowed down my bass/basshead quest of trying new IEMs. Tired of being disappointed.
I still don't even know if there is an agreed upon understanding of what is 'basshead'. I see a lot of things called 'basshead' but to me are only (somewhat) 'bassy'. Plus I'm interested in the whole package. If something has good thumping bass but is muffled garbage sounding overall then I don't see the point. I've seen mentions of 'audiophile basshead' but don't know if that's a real term either. I use AMP/EQ, which was mentioned towards the beginning of this thread as necessary, but don't see it discussed anymore. As an example, the Sony ex800st by itself is not basshead but with the tape mod/AMP/EQ are the top (or close to it) for powerful thumping bass.
I suspect that it will be a while before I find something top my current favorites:
Empire Ears Legend X (top dog)
Empire Ears Nemesis
Sony MDR-EX800st (7550)
Aurisonics ASG 2.5

One of these days I'll try Hyla CE-5/TE-5B

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #11,906 of 12,591
I hear ya. I've slowed down my bass/basshead quest of trying new IEMs. Tired of being disappointed.
I still don't even know if there is an agreed upon understanding of what is 'basshead'. I see a lot of things called 'basshead' but to me are only (somewhat) 'bassy'. Plus I'm interested in the whole package. If something has good thumping bass but is muffled garbage sounding overall then I don't see the point. I've seen mentions of 'audiophile basshead' but don't know if that's a real term either. I use AMP/EQ, which was mentioned towards the beginning of this thread as necessary, but don't see it discussed anymore. As an example, the Sony ex800st by itself is not basshead but with the tape mod/AMP/EQ are the top (or close to it) for powerful thumping bass.
I suspect that it will be a while before I find something top my current favorites:
Empire Ears Legend X (top dog)
Empire Ears Nemesis
Sony MDR-EX800st (7550)
Aurisonics ASG 2.5

One of these days I'll try Hyla CE-5/TE-5B
I only ever had the legend X for a week on barra's tour but I may romanticize it forever.

I would also rank it #1 but have come across several budget sets that can almost give me that same feeling. Like you, I use EQ/DSP and amping.

The bqeyz bq3 comes to mind as one particularly capable budget basshead set. As well as the urbanfun ybf isso14. Both need EQ to get there, but I just don't understand how someone could call the blon bl-03 basshead.....

But there's gotta be something out there to up the ante, and this 7hz i99 sure looks like it could be a lot of fun. People are really pushing the Penon Orb but I'm just not seeing the same potential in that set.

Jun 29, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #11,907 of 12,591
I only ever had the legend X for a week on barra's tour but I may romanticize it forever.

I would also rank it #1 but have come across several budget sets that can almost give me that same feeling. Like you, I use EQ/DSP and amping.

The bqeyz bq3 comes to mind as one particularly capable budget basshead set. As well as the urbanfun ybf isso14. Both need EQ to get there, but I just don't understand how someone could call the blon bl-03 basshead.....

But there's gotta be something out there to up the ante, and this 7hz i99 sure looks like it could be a lot of fun. People are really pushing the Penon Orb but I'm just not seeing the same potential in that set.

Orb is very nice but the thing it lacks the X does pretty well - treble.

Jun 30, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #11,908 of 12,591
Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking for a budget basshead set. There are times where I don't want to risk damaging an expensive set (I've done it before not fun). I have a ton of budget IEMs that were supposed to be basshead but none that ever seem to grab my interest. I've seen the BQ3 mentioned but was doubtful. I'll have to try them.

Agree 100% on the BLON BL03 (also the cardinal)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #11,909 of 12,591
I've tried to purchase Empire Ears Legend X on two occasions, prior to purchase I've sent them emails several times , and never received any replies so I moved on from that dream. I even tried from my work domain which I'm a mail Admin to ensure no weird spam blockery was happening.. No replies :/ next!

BGGAR mentions the bass in the ThieAudio Legacy 9 is comparable to the EE Legend X, so I've got the Legacy 9 on order. The Legacy 3 isn't bassy at all.

The recent talk about the 7hz i99, from what I've read and by talking with Chris (BGGAR), the Legacy 9 will rumble harder than the i99 too. Treble is harsher on the i99 vs Legacy 9 from what I can tell too however the i99 response to EQ very well.

Another good option here is the Shueor EJ07, which is clearly more sub-bass focused and lacks in midbass so would probably suit dubstep music more, while the Legacy 9 has mid and sub-bass and despite being a bit slow on attack and can slightly bleed into the kids - not an issue for me as I generally listen to Drum n Bass, and I don't want fast bass per say.. I'd rather longer lasting lulling impact.

I should have my Legacy 9 within a couple of weeks.

New to the market, ThieAudio Monarch maybe worth a look..

https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-monarch

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #11,910 of 12,591
BGGAR mentions the bass in the ThieAudio Legacy 9 is comparable to the EE Legend X, so I've got the Legacy 9 on order. The Legacy 3 isn't bassy at all.

The recent talk about the 7hz i99, from what I've read and by talking with Chris (BGGAR), the Legacy 9 will rumble harder than the i99 too. Treble is harsher on the i99 vs Legacy 9 from what I can tell too.

Another good option here is the Shueor EJ07, which is clearly more sub-bass focused and lacks in midbass so would probably suit dubstep music more, while the Legacy 9 has mid and sub-bass and despite being a bit slow on attack and can slightly bleed into the kids - not an issue for me as I generally listen to Drum n Bass, and I don't want fast bass per say.. I'd rather longer lasting lulling impact.

I should have my Legacy 9 within a couple of weeks.

New to the market, ThieAudio Monarch maybe worth a look..

https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-monarch
Meh. As much as I like the L3 I take much talk of the thieudio products as a product of linsoul's well tuned marketing machine since it's their brand.

Until it's in enough people's hands with experience and no skin in the game (other than the money they plunked down) I'm not buying into that yet given the specs.... Doesn't quite add up to be frank. Same with the Orb.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back