Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jun 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #11,928 of 12,595
Really curious to see how i99 sounds. The price is on the higher side considering it is not a hybrid and just a single DD IEM
Double sided electrocoated beryllium DD to be precise, but a DD nonetheless. I
Figure it's a better bet than the pure Beryllium drivers out there that are smallet and cost 3x this set.

If nothing else, that size Beryllium has some serious EQ potential.

Definitely, let us know your thoughts wherever you post.
Absolutely will do, and unlike BGGAR, I definitely believe in burn in, especial when Beryllium is used. I'll be running them 24/7 as soon as I get them.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #11,929 of 12,595
Really curious to see how i99 sounds. The price is on the higher side considering it is not a hybrid and just a single DD IEM
Nowadays, with the exception of the specific Sonion E-stat drivers, the number of drivers and types of drivers used don’t correlate well with quality or price. Single DD IEMs make up both the cheapest IEMs available, as well as some of the most expensive ones. Of course, THE most expensive IEMs are usually multi-BA sets. There is still something very special about a well designed and implemented single-DD IEM.

QUOTE="SciOC, post: 15711815, member: 492102"]
Absolutely will do, and unlike BGGAR, I definitely believe in burn in, especial when Beryllium is used. I'll be running them 24/7 as soon as I get them.
[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense to me that these extremely rigid DDs need quite some time to break in, just like speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #11,930 of 12,595
Figure it's a better bet than the pure Beryllium drivers out there that are smallet and cost 3x this set.

Yes, I am curious about the electroplated Beryllium on a Graphene (They say DLC so likely Graphene) driver which seems like a winning combination on paper. I can vouch for Beryllium plated large DD as I have FH7 with its 13.6mm Beryllium coated driver. It produces quality sub-bass, mid bass is lacking due to the tuning tho.

Nowadays, with the exception of the specific Sonion E-stat drivers, the number of drivers and types of drivers used don’t correlate well with quality or price. Single DD IEMs make up both the cheapest IEMs available, as well as some of the most expensive ones. Of course, THE most expensive IEMs are usually multi-BA sets. There is still something very special about a well designed and implemented single-DD IEM.

The hybrid IEMs sound "clearer" to my ears, could be a placebo/tuning thing but I have listened to several and the treble clarity and instrument separation seems very apparent on the hybrid vs single DD IEMs.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #11,931 of 12,595

Awesome (; I'm not a huge fan of burn-in myself but its totally irrelevent when the end game is concerned.

I forgot this was DD only. If you can put into your rotation 36 Crazyfists - Bloodwork. I can provide if needbe. At around 15 seconds you'll start to hear hi-hat chicks (hi-hat pedal is stomped with foot). Every DD iem has struggled with separating the hats from the riding crash pattern going on. It will either sound similar, gets muddled or is non-existent. Most iems i've tried have troubles with this section. Only one iem ive demo'd has done an amazing job: The UM Maven - my ever-lusting treble end-game. The Anole VX did a good job as did the UM Mest and the EE LX was a little behind and surprisingly the orb did ok. Until i can get more hands-on time with other bad boys, this is where i am at. First world problems...

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 12:26 AM Post #11,932 of 12,595
Yes, I am curious about the electroplated Beryllium on a Graphene (They say DLC so likely Graphene) driver which seems like a winning combination on paper. I can vouch for Beryllium plated large DD as I have FH7 with its 13.6mm Beryllium coaded driver. It produces quality sub-bass, mid bass is lacking due to the tuning tho

The hybrid IEMs sound "clearer" to my ears, couldh5 be a placebo/tuning thing but I have listened to several and the treble clarity and instrument separation seems very apparent on the hybrid vs single DD IEMs.
The Fh5 and 7 as well as the dunu dk 2001 pro and 3001 were on my list but they all seemed... A little vanilla based on all the feedback. I don't mind fiddling with EQ and DSP but I also do like to jump feet first into new stuff. Hence the i99.

Multi BA sets always seem to have better separation to me, but I've never liked BA for bass or vocals.....

I've not heard the sonion estats yet (only the electrets like the tape), but I'd like to hear those paired in a tribrid with a planar for mids and DD for bass. That's my dream setup right now.

Jul 1, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #11,933 of 12,595
I've not heard the sonion estats yet (only the electrets like the tape), but I'd like to hear those paired in a tribrid with a planar for mids and DD for bass. That's my dream setup right now.

ThieAudio Monarch and Clairvoyance seem to have the Sonion electrostatic drivers, will be very interesting to see if they deliver!

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #11,934 of 12,595
The hybrid IEMs sound "clearer" to my ears, could be a placebo/tuning thing but I have listened to several and the treble clarity and instrument separation seems very apparent on the hybrid vs single DD IEMs.

Definitely not a placebo thing. They do sound different, and a lot of people prefer hybrids, for various reasons.

ThieAudio Monarch and Clairvoyance seem to have the Sonion electrostatic drivers, will be very interesting to see if they deliver!

You had me really confused. You took one of SciOC’s comments, and made it appear as one of mine. 😂 I thought I was loosing it (I probably am).

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #11,935 of 12,595
Ive just retired my iFi xDSD that I was using with Samsung s10+, and I'm now using a Fiio m11 Pro controlled via FiioLink , needed more power for EQing my iems!

But I've been using an xDSD for the past two years, overall a very good unit, but I'm one who likes to listen LOUD and push EQ power demands haha, plus I was using the xDSD in Bluetooth mode so being able to have source files sitting on the m11 Pro and retain Bluetooth control on my phone has been a wondrous upgrade 😍😍
Well yes, I suppose the XBass on iFi units is quite relevant to this thread 😆 Though designed to compensate for bass rolloff on regular open back full size headphones, it can be quite the basshead's tool when used on something else 😋

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #11,937 of 12,595
Ive just retired my iFi xDSD that I was using with Samsung s10+, and I'm now using a Fiio m11 Pro controlled via FiioLink , needed more power for EQing my iems!

But I've been using an xDSD for the past two years, overall a very good unit, but I'm one who likes to listen LOUD and push EQ power demands haha, plus I was using the xDSD in Bluetooth mode so being able to have source files sitting on the m11 Pro and retain Bluetooth control on my phone has been a wondrous upgrade 😍😍
It's all good! :beerchug:

If you were after more power (and not EQ power :ksc75smile:), xDSD can put out 1000mW into 32 Ohms!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #11,938 of 12,595
I was trying different ear tips with the TFZ No.3 today, and I discovered:

If you‘re willing to go through the deep insertion process to get a tight seal, with these dual-flange ear tips, the increase in bass is very impressive. You do get some attenuation of the upper mids/treble though, for better or worse. The isolation is still not great, but that’s because it’s a vented DD IEM.
https://www.amazon.com/JustEarbuds-Headphones-Replacement-Skullcandy-Symphonized/dp/B073C9B7CB

These ePro horn-shaped tips are quickly becoming my favorite ear tips for several of my IEMs. On the No.3, the bass is more focused and hits really hard, while the sub bass rumble is also more prominent. They don’t suppress the mids and highs either. This is currently my favorite ear tip for the No.3.
https://www.amazon.com/eProaudios-ePro-Horn-Shaped-Ear-Tips/dp/B07S82M9PG
My favorite tip on everything

Jul 1, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #11,939 of 12,595

Users who are viewing this thread

Back