Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 15, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #121 of 12,597

From the pure Basshead perspective, the Pioneer SE-CX8 outdoes its more refined (and pricier) sibling, the SE-CX9. It (the SE-CX9) does perform the nearly-impossible trick of providing bass impact alongside excellent clarity. But the SE-CX8 is enjoyable, and actually a bit less fatiguing to listen to over longer periods. I kept finding myself putting the SE-CX9 down, but I've been using the SE-CX8 for a few hours now without issue.

Thanks for posting the difference.  I wasn't too sure which one to choose.  So the cheaper one can be used longer without fatigue.  I'll get that one then.  

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #124 of 12,597
I have the JVC HA-FZX-200's. They are really ugly 
confused_face.gif
 and make you look like Mickey Mouse when you use them. I had a tough time getting a good fit/seal with them (ended up settling on ear tips that are smaller than what I would normally use). And at first listen, they don't emit all that much bass, really. The early impression I got was that the highs and lows were very separated, not well integrated. The highs sounded a bit tinny.

But when I (finally) tried using these very much as I would the HA-SZ2000's, things got a whole lot better. I used my recently acquired Cayin C5 and then EQ'd for added bass (mostly). What impresses me about the results of doing this is not the quantity of bass, but its quality. The bass is smooth and clear and satisfying, not muddy, not bloated, not colored in any way. On tracks with a lot of sub bass, like Trentmoller's "Evil Dub" and "Chameleon," the effect is fantastic. 

For more powerful bass without particular need for amplification or EQ, I think the old FutureSonics Atrio MG7's (still available at Amazon) are about as good as it gets.  I also favor another discontinued earphone, the Sony MDR- XB90EB. 

I would love to test out some of the pricier IEM's like the Shure 846 and the Sennheiser IE800. 

Nagus

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #127 of 12,597
I have the JVC HA-FZX-200's. They are really ugly :confused_face:  and make you look like Mickey Mouse when you use them. I had a tough time getting a good fit/seal with them (ended up settling on ear tips that are smaller than what I would normally use). And at first listen, they don't emit all that much bass, really. The early impression I got was that the highs and lows were very separated, not well integrated. The highs sounded a bit tinny.

But when I (finally) tried using these very much as I would the HA-SZ2000's, things got a whole lot better. I used my recently acquired Cayin C5 and then EQ'd for added bass (mostly). What impresses me about the results of doing this is not the quantity of bass, but its quality. The bass is smooth and clear and satisfying, not muddy, not bloated, not colored in any way. On tracks with a lot of sub bass, like Trentmoller's "Evil Dub" and "Chameleon," the effect is fantastic. 

For more powerful bass without particular need for amplification or EQ, I think the old FutureSonics Atrio MG7's (still available at Amazon) are about as good as it gets.  I also favor another discontinued earphone, the Sony MDR- XB90EB. 

I would love to test out some of the pricier IEM's like the Shure 846 and the Sennheiser IE800. 

Nagus

I forgot my new JVC HA-FXZ200 at work but had similar impressions. Not very bassy out of the box, but they respond very well to EQ and get really bass-heavy if you push them just like their full size sibling (SZ2000). On the plus side, I did start the JLab burn file earlier Friday and they'll have lots of burn-in by Monday.

Apr 19, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #130 of 12,597
Those the T1Es? Nice! I still have my box, but lost the IEMs lol

I wouldn't classify those as basshead IEMs, but they do sound quite awesome I must say. There is a thread dedicated to them, as they are extremely good in their own right. Fit takes a bit of getting used to though, and I wouldnt wear them in public with girls around :)

Also, to whomever posted it, the original Mg7s are no longer available anywhere. Only the mg5 with mg7 transducers, which aren't quite the same. Kinda unfortunate how the old legendary IEMs can't be bought (not sure why they can't produce them anymore either), but oh well.

Apr 19, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #132 of 12,597
I just got my Cayin C5 today after debating with myself for a few weeks about it. "I don't need that," I said to myself. "I have parametric EQ and a good dac and amp," I told me.

Nope.

Cayin C5.

The hype is real. I need to test pretty much everything again at this point. I'm using Sennheiser HD650s through the Cayin C5 right now and these things sound like basshead cans through it (I can actually get my HD650s to SHAKE. I didn't know they could even do that (using X-Fi Titanium HD EQ/Bass Boost + Cayin C5 Bass Boost). Can't wait to test my basshead IEMs and JVC SZ2000s.

The only IEM I have in front of me are the Xiaomi Piston 3.0. How about a little first impression typing here?

Yep, Xiaomi Piston 3.0s are now shaking in my ear canals. They weren't doing that without the Cayin C5. The Piston 3.0 is not a basshead IEM, however. They actually sound pretty incredible for the price, but are mostly warm/v-shaped and don't extend or hit as hard as a true basshead IEM. I have the Piston 2.1 running around somewhere, but my sister is in town so I can't linger here for long.

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #133 of 12,597
  I just got my Cayin C5 today after debating with myself for a few weeks about it. "I don't need that," I said to myself. "I have parametric EQ and a good dac and amp," I told me.

Nope.

Cayin C5.

The hype is real. I need to test pretty much everything again at this point. I'm using Sennheiser HD650s through the Cayin C5 right now and these things sound like basshead cans through it (I can actually get my HD650s to SHAKE. I didn't know they could even do that (using X-Fi Titanium HD EQ/Bass Boost + Cayin C5 Bass Boost). Can't wait to test my basshead IEMs and JVC SZ2000s.

The only IEM I have in front of me are the Xiaomi Piston 3.0. How about a little first impression typing here?

Yep, Xiaomi Piston 3.0s are now shaking in my ear canals. They weren't doing that without the Cayin C5. The Piston 3.0 is not a basshead IEM, however. They actually sound pretty incredible for the price, but are mostly warm/v-shaped and don't extend or hit as hard as a true basshead IEM. I have the Piston 2.1 running around somewhere, but my sister is in town so I can't linger her for long.

I am a huge fan of the Cayin C5. The e12 hits good but the Cayin is harder with a better cut and snap to the hit and the whole thing sounds wider and deeper. It makes everything it touches sound better. Good stuff!!

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #134 of 12,597
Dang, another Sony IEM that looks awesome....why can't sony make high end IEMs that don't make people look like Dumbo :/

Apr 20, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #135 of 12,597
Sooooo...was doing some testing with the NarMoo B2M. Holy snap ballz on a stick!!! Where the XB50 ran out of juice and became a flabby mess, the B2M just dug deeper and rumbled harder. My ears gave up before I reached a volume where they would distort. This was completely unexpected and totally tubular, brah. I think I found my new bass head iem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back