Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 22, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #151 of 12,590
Not what I find. In fact find it very clean sounding, the bass and sub-bass is great both as to amount and articulation; it's not bloomy nor muddy, but very defined. Plus it's mid-bass is amazing, and doesn't intrude into the mids. It's mids/voices are great, and it's treble I find just right, and not sibilant at all like other IEMs. I think this lack of emphasis on sibilants is why many find it "lacking sparkle"; but not my ears. In fact I long for this because it doesn't fatigue my ears even a bit. If I'm to describe its sound in one word, I'll use "live", or "realistic". This has the Harman curve frequency response and I think the Harman curve is right in the money when it comes to mimicking real, live music.

Yet, there's the "Special Edition", which has more sub-bass but also more treble making it more sibilant. I find the regular SE215 cleaner and having more separation between instruments though, and very good soundstage; there's distinctness between sounds and instruments. Again, "live" and "natural" sounding.

I found the se215 tbh horrible. Within the same price range ill take the im70s anytime :/ just my opinion. I found the shures too muddy and the bass is rather uninteresting. Its like they added bass just to special edition it.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #152 of 12,590
I found the se215 tbh horrible. Within the same price range ill take the im70s anytime :/ just my opinion. I found the shures too muddy and the bass is rather uninteresting. Its like they added bass just to special edition it.

What do you find horrible, the regulars or specials? Muddy is theast word I'll describe the Shure SE215. What recording, player, DAC and amp did you use? I used just the iPhone 6 playing 16/44 WAV files and they're far from muddy.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #153 of 12,590
What do you find horrible, the regulars or specials? Muddy is theast word I'll describe the Shure SE215. What recording, player, DAC and amp did you use? I used just the iPhone 6 playing 16/44 WAV files and they're far from muddy.

i used them on my previous dap, fiio x5. i tested them on several occasions, all conclusions were the sound signature was muddy or rather muffled. Too dark for me. Was playing cd rips files in wav and aiff, hip hop jpop and regular pop, i cant remember off hand but i know i did not enjoy it. they were the SEs i never tried the standard edition.

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #154 of 12,590
i used them on my previous dap, fiio x5. i tested them on several occasions, all conclusions were the sound signature was muddy or rather muffled. Too dark for me. Was playing cd rips files in wav and aiff, hip hop jpop and regular pop, i cant remember off hand but i know i did not enjoy it. they were the SEs i never tried the standard edition.

Funny that I find the Special Editions too sibilant even. Far from dark...lol Maybe you got the Limited Editions, which based on my readings are warmer. Or probably the Copy Editions?...:D

Apr 22, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #155 of 12,590
Funny that I find the Special Editions too sibilant even. Far from dark...lol Maybe you got the Limited Editions, which based on my readings are warmer. Or probably the Copy Editions?...
biggrin.gif

maybe bad synergy? *shrugs tbh dont care what people say, you listen u like it buy it own it :pits only my opinion if u like it dont ever let others doubt your own preference hehe

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #159 of 12,590
Nice. I can't wait. Favorite song or album on them so far? Any that really show it off? I'm putting together a playlist to try when I get mine.

I listen to stuff mainly fro. Nujabes, pase rock, marcus d, substantial, uyama hiroto. Above and beyond's sirens of the sea album as well as the acoustic album :) o bon jovi's living on a prayer wooo thats beautiful

Apr 22, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #160 of 12,590
Not a basshead, but think my pile of in-ears is incomplete without a bass staple. Thought I'd try out a few budget pairs at first:

Fidue a31s was $28 on Amazon.  Subs is their best frequency. It's tiny but booms with some rumble (best with single flange tips so they're right in your ear). Lacking in tight 'articulated' mid tho. Not bad for the price, though I've read Carbo Basso is legit great for around the same, so maybe a bit tough for a31s compete. Anyone else heard these or Basso?

JVC FX101  out of package, bass  strong boom, no upper/midbass, but i thought i could "improve" awful mids & treble with a burn in. i am a fool. mistake. killed the bass, didn't help anything else. f*it, a brand new pair will give you 48 hours of bass- EQ 55-100 max, everything above 250 to -12db, if your favorite way of hearing music is through a cinderblock wall while these drive by: 

Apr 22, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #162 of 12,590
maybe bad synergy? *shrugs tbh dont care what people say, you listen u like it buy it own it :pits only my opinion if u like it dont ever let others doubt your own preference hehe

I don't think you listened to it. I think you just saw the frequency response curve tilted downward right (Harman curve) and say, yeah, it is dark! :D

Apr 23, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #165 of 12,590

Users who are viewing this thread

Back