Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 1, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #4,771 of 12,591
I have to say I'm shocked that the velvets made the top ten list. I had them, for me they were nothing special. Used them with my Cayin C5, AK240, Fiio X3 OG, Sony zx2, and fiio X1. I couldn't wait to return them.

Sound was good, not great, bass to me was good not great. Build was horrific. To me they felt like cheap plastic. I didn't like their switch thingy.

I'm wondering if I had a bad pair though. Seeing they made the top ten... I remember my Shure Se846 being much better, hell, right now the Dunu Titan 5 sound much better to my memory.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting, was lent the Dunu 3 & 5s, received them yesterday. It's hard to get a lot of bass, as in basshead levels, but I turned up Viper4Android bass settings, and these things hit pretty damn hard.

I have the dynamic bass setting at 100%. Subwoofer@30hz, boost at 17db. They are taking it and deliver much better bass than I imagined. Not their strong point though. Their mids are so engaging. Really amazing. I turn the bass down a little, still hits very hard, but doesn't bleed or overpower the mids and it's a very enjoyable sound.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #4,772 of 12,591

Never heard the UMPro50, only the Pro10 and Pro30.

That could be it - I think the UM (pro) series was never meant to be bass heavy. The W series was more audiophile/consumer oriented, therefore definitely more fun sounding. For example, I had the W3 - V-shaped basshead; and UM3X - smooth mid-centric sound.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #4,773 of 12,591
  That could be it - I think the UM (pro) series was never meant to be bass heavy. The W series was more audiophile/consumer oriented, therefore definitely more fun sounding. For example, I had the W3 - V-shaped basshead; and UM3X - smooth mid-centric sound.

The UMPro50 has more bass than the W60 and it's more fun sounding. Had them both at home. 

Weird but that's what I heard.

Mar 1, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #4,774 of 12,591
The UMPro50 has more bass than the W60 and it's more fun sounding. Had them both at home. 

Weird but that's what I heard.
You dont have them anymore ?

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #4,775 of 12,591
I have to say I'm shocked that the velvets made the top ten list. I had them, for me they were nothing special. Used them with my Cayin C5, AK240, Fiio X3 OG, Sony zx2, and fiio X1. I couldn't wait to return them.
Sound was good, not great, bass to me was good not great. Build was horrific. To me they felt like cheap plastic. I didn't like their switch thingy.

I'm wondering if I had a bad pair though. Seeing they made the top ten... I remember my Shure Se846 being much better, hell, right now the Dunu Titan 5 sound much better to my memory.

Anyway, it's pretty interesting, was lent the Dunu 3 & 5s, received them yesterday. It's hard to get a lot of bass, as in basshead levels, but I turned up Viper4Android bass settings, and these things hit pretty damn hard.

I have the dynamic bass setting at 100%. Subwoofer@30hz, boost at 17db. They are taking it and deliver much better bass than I imagined. Not their strong point though. Their mids are so engaging. Really amazing. I turn the bass down a little, still hits very hard, but doesn't bleed or overpower the mids and it's a very enjoyable sound.

2 pairs I ever held were broken (dial/body) and couldn't really test them proper. Some audiophile O.G. site members swore by them so I put them on the Hi -Fi list.

If you tried and failed to get the bass they will be removed.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #4,776 of 12,591

There is a set of W60 in the FS forum but odd thing is the seller has one record and it's for buying the w50 but is selling a w60
confused.gif

The w50 sale that closed a while back was edited recently. I'm pretty sure I will use Yahoo auction and avoid any sketchy stuff in the sale forum

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #4,777 of 12,591
2 pairs I ever held were broken (dial/body) and couldn't really test them proper. Some audiophile O.G. site members swore by them so I put them on the Hi -Fi list.

If you tried and failed to get the bass they will be removed.

It's there, I just don't think it's at basshead level. I'm thinking maybe mine had issues as well. Their seemed to be some QC issues with ES.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #4,778 of 12,591
A long time ago I bought the Westone custome ES5. Great fit nice thick sound and good punchy bass but the 846 had a bit stronger bass. To me the 846 had a bit better bass than the velvet. Fitear 5 driver had better bass than the: ES5 , 846, and the Velvet.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #4,779 of 12,591
A long time ago I bought the Westone custome ES5. Great fit nice thick sound and good punchy bass but the 846 had a bit stronger bass. To me the 846 had a bit better bass than the velvet. Fitear 5 driver had better bass than the: ES5 , 846, and the Velvet.

846 was once considered uber bass...top of Mt Woofer..

Nostalgia...

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #4,780 of 12,591
Im not trying to say the Kicker is bad because its very good. The Forte has a bit more bottom , slight mid forwards and a bit more treble than the Kicker.

That helps a little. I did get the kickers when it was on sale on Hifi headphones. I don't I'll ever end up with the top IEM on the list, but I do plan on getting the ex800/7550 eventually.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #4,783 of 12,591

@vapman: In addition to XB90EX, how's the base on EX800ST when listening to the low volume?

xb90ex low volume bass still very nice. do keep in mind i am always talking amped and bass boosted.
at low volume ex800st has bass too.
kicker has an equal level of bass i would not hesitate to say.
as much bass at 2.5? yes at low vol, no at high vol.

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4,784 of 12,591
Mar 1, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #4,785 of 12,591

I gave the demo back and wanted to buy them, then my car needed a bit of attention - one thing let to another, not eyeing the Mojo rathe than another IEM (and want to try the LZ-A3) - can't have everything so need to prioritize....LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back