Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Mar 1, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #4,742 of 12,596
  Just got the Kickers unpacked and plugged in. Here's some immediate thoughts.

1. I didn't realize I had EQ turned off when I had them plugged in at first and thought they had pretty nice bass bump! A good sign.
  2. They have that open not-stuffy sound I was missing so bad from the ASG 2.5! So happy to have these for this reason.
  3. Does awesome with some EQ, great fun sound,
  4. The MDR 7550 might be a bit more balanced but this is really fun to listen to, no question.
  5. Easily has taped 7550 levels of bass.
  6. Smoother highs than XB90EX, bass levels are comparable
  7. Tried a song the ASG 2.5 couldn't do the bass on (conflicting sub & mid bass turned 2.5 into a mess) - very clear, sub bass was there but low in the mix
  8. Warm sound is really nice and similar to the 2.5 in my opinion, not too dark at all.

I'm really happy with them. I can get really nice bass out of them without turning them too loud. I'm very happy with them.

XB90EX will still get a lot of use from me but I would not be surprised if these become my new main IEMs. I can't say yet which of the two i'd take to a desert island, probably should get a few more days in with the Kicker before making that judgement, but it's seeming like it may become a new favorite for me :)

Excited for the ASG B!

edit: To be clear I no longer miss the 2.5's :wink:

edit 2: Forgot to mention, small ear people like me can rejoice, because these fit my XB90EX/7550 tips, which means the Comply T400/TS400 fit these. They don't put too much pressure on my ears like the 2.5's did. I put my Linum BaX cable on the Kickers with some TS400 and these are easily my new favorite IEM! I see why Luckbad likes the Kickers so much. They're bassy even when the volume is low! I personally think they match up to the 2.5 in my experiences but maybe a bit less on sub bass. You just can't leave them 100% open like the 2.5.

You, sir, not helping my case at all with your comments. Haha! However, the price will help to make up my mind as Kickers run for around 300 USD what is almost 4 times the price of XB90EX. I could get EX800ST AND XB90EX for the same price. :)

How's the base on XB90EX when listening to the low volume?

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #4,743 of 12,596
Last question, does taping the vent make a BIG difference in bass levels of the MDR7550/EX800ST? Also, is the MDR7550 and EX800ST cable the same length?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I am going to be 100% confident in my purchase since these will be coming from Japan and I will not be able to return.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #4,744 of 12,596
  Last question, does taping the vent make a BIG difference in bass levels of the MDR7550/EX800ST? Also, is the MDR7550 and EX800ST cable the same length?

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I am going to be 100% confident in my purchase since these will be coming from Japan and I will not be able to return.

Questions are good. Folks being cheerleaders for brands is bad. They lose all perspective and have no right to rec anything to anyone.

The tape mod is crucial to making them the hardest pounders of any IEM I have ever heard. That pic captures the moment my 2.5 got the boot. I only need one of the two kings.

A small poke with a thumb tack will let the driver breathe just a tad.

Never trust fanboys.

This thread like the over ears one will eventually filter out the company kids and give way to the bass is almighty crowd.

If you will amp then yes the tape is needed and if you want analytical studio IEM take the tape off.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #4,745 of 12,596

Did you find any noticeable difference between the APMs as their price range is quite large?

Rules of diminishing returns.

Just buy the best within your budget and then enjoy the music!

There is ALWAYS something better around but again, the differences are getting smaller and smaller once you get to a certain level. And the costs for the quality increase go up exponentially. On the other hand, there are always some great bargains to be made.

You will eventually upgrade in any case and try new things, so enjoy the ride and go step by step, that way you train your ears and understand all the changes better.

We are all in it for the fun!!

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #4,746 of 12,596
The Forte has MORE BASS and DEEPER BASS than the Kicker.

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #4,747 of 12,596
The Forte has MORE BASS and DEEPER BASS than the Kicker.

This is bass talk

My 2nd language. Preach brother
beerchug.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #4,748 of 12,596
Mar 1, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #4,749 of 12,596
@Hawaiibadboy  should I get the Mojo? Still debating it.... how is it compared to ifi IDSD micro?

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #4,753 of 12,596
Mojo can easily drive headphones not only for IEMs. :wink:

Mar 1, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #4,755 of 12,596

Dude you're selling your ASG 2.5??? I bought it because you put it on the top spot of the bassy IEM list !!!

It is not related to it's power or position. I'm just using the ex800 most of the time so keeping the 2.5 is kind of a waste. I really don't collect gear.
You still have the TOTL basshead set. It's not a reflection of the gear it's just me loving the 800 a little bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back