Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 29, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #4,711 of 12,597
@Const4nt1n3  I would wait for the iOS 9.3 update, I have the iPhone 6 128 and am running the developer beta 4 and I feel they did something to the sound that made it really really good. I mean, it wasn't bad at all before but boy does it sounds good now. Maybe you want to wait until it's released publicly. Together with the XB90EX it could be all you need.... I will test that later - currently on my Denon AH-D7100 with the Liquid Carbon 
biggrin.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #4,712 of 12,597
  dont know if you saw it but HiSouund Audio WooDuo 2 is $45 at massdrop
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/woodou-iem

Just bought ie80, dont know if it makes sense to try these...

I had IE80 before my wooduos. The IE80 soundstage was larger, but the wooduo hits harder. For everyday listening, I actually prefer the slightly darker nature of the wooduo. I wouldn't go back. 

As for their quality, I have had absolutely no quality issues with them at all. But others have. So, there are certainly issues there. 

I am currently debating kicker vs xb90

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #4,713 of 12,597
  @Const4nt1n3  I would wait for the iOS 9.3 update, I have the iPhone 6 128 and am running the developer beta 4 and I feel they did something to the sound that made it really really good. I mean, it wasn't bad at all before but boy does it sounds good now. Maybe you want to wait until it's released publicly. Together with the XB90EX it could be all you need.... I will test that later - currently on my Denon AH-D7100 with the Liquid Carbon 
biggrin.gif

Very interesting. I guess that would solve the DAC question, which won't be necessary.

But what about the power? Does an iPhone provides enough juice to make XB90EX really shine?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #4,714 of 12,597

Very interesting. I guess that would solve the DAC question, which won't be necessary.

But what about the power? Does an iPhone provides enough juice to make XB90EX really shine?

Shine? No..IMO
None of the top 5 shine without the extra juice.

I use xb90 for outdoors since the cable is much friendlier and with good tips they sit snug.
ex800st are home IEM and I use them almost always now. They could use a cable upgrade and those definitely need an amp.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #4,715 of 12,597
Not so sure about this. I just tried the ex90 on my iphone6 and switched back and forth with my Cavalli audio liquid carbon. And To be honest, volume matched using my little input switcher. ...Maybe the slightest bit of soundstage was missing but the bass was as layered and hard hitting with both. Does the LC make them shine more. Of course. But don't they shine on the iPhone 6 ? No. Double negative is positive. They still shine IMHO.

Cheers

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #4,716 of 12,597
Not so sure about this. I just tried the ex90 on my iphone6 and switched back and forth with my Cavalli audio liquid carbon. And To be honest, volume matched using my little input switcher. ...Maybe the slightest bit of soundstage was missing but the bass was as layered and hard hitting with both. Does the LC make them shine more. Of course. But don't they shine on the iPhone 6 ? No. Double negative is positive. They still shine IMHO.

Cheers

Very cool. I think I'll place an order for XB90EX ASAP. I need something very portable and as HBB mentioned, those should be perfect. However, I'd consider getting an AMP sometime in the future.

Koolpep, do you EQ your pair? If so, what player on an iPhone does the job best?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #4,717 of 12,597

Shine? No..IMO
None of the top 5 shine without the extra juice.

I use xb90 for outdoors since the cable is much friendlier and with good tips they sit snug.
ex800st are home IEM and I use them almost always now. They could use a cable upgrade and those definitely need an amp.

I'll be getting XB90EX first then. What tips did you use, BTW? Aftermarket ones or the ones supplied with the IEMs?

Also, what would be a good portable AMP for these and EX800ST?

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #4,718 of 12,597

I'll be getting XB90EX first then. What tips did you use, BTW? Aftermarket ones or the ones supplied with the IEMs?

Also, what would be a good portable AMP for these and EX800ST?

I use the largest sony hybrid tips which are like mint green in color.
The e18 would work fine and the Mojo would be outstanding.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #4,720 of 12,597

Thanks.

I watched some of your videos and I think you've mentioned that you used iFi Nano iDSD for your portable IEM rig? Do you think it's worth the extra cost over E18?

The "L" tips are the ones I use for full seal

The iDSD is awesome but it needed to be at full volume. I ended up stacking it with a iCAN nano and that was awesome. The e18 would give you more power

No I think it is not worth the extra cost but I do love the company and it's service but dollars is dollars so no it's not worth it.

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #4,721 of 12,597

The "L" tips are the ones I use for full seal

The iDSD is awesome but it needed to be at full volume. I ended up stacking it with a iCAN nano and that was awesome. The e18 would give you more power

No I think it is not worth the extra cost but I do love the company and it's service but dollars is dollars so no it's not worth it.

Great reply and completely no nonsense.

I may look into E18 as well, then. I guess it's the best price versus performance AMP on the market?

Feb 29, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4,722 of 12,597

Great reply and completely no nonsense.

I may look into E18 as well, then. I guess it's the best price versus performance AMP on the market?

I have to apologize.
I didn't notice the iphone mention till just now. I believe e18 works with android. Other folks may know if it works with iphone but it only comes with OTG cables.
If an iphone is your host maybe another member can help you out as I'm not experienced with amping an iphone

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4,725 of 12,597
  Now ill have to wait for that too! When are they due?!

The ASG-B is due Wednesday.

Just a warning, I don't expect them to be balanced like the Kicker or 2.5, since the ASG-B is designed for bassist and drummers to be more present in the mix than other instruments with more high frequencies.

I expect it'll be clear but have distant sounding mids/highs. Even if I don't think it's ideal for listening, I plan to keep them around for their intended purpose - playing bass live :)

The Kickers are at home waiting for me so soon as I get home from work I'll try them out, can't wait to see how they fare against the Sonys.

From what I understand the ASG-B is identical to a ASG 1.5 except the driver is ported as opposed to sealed. Which I can not WAIT to hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back