Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4,441 of 12,597

Finally got around to trying it out unamped. I used my blackberry with some bass mekanik and E-40 MP3's.
Sounds liek the 90EX unamped, as in decent bass for not being amped, but leaves a lot to be desired.
Not sure if they'd make the top 10 list for unamped. To be honest I haven't heard most of the unamped top 10 IEMs.

With the Arrow 5TX I am going to say the ATE-S has a tiny bit more bass than the 90EX when I use bass boost II, hi freq.
90EX wins on sub bass though, more fun to listen to than the ATE-S with bass boost II on lo freq.
I think the plain translucent ATE (not the ATE-S) actually had more rumbly sub bass, but the tradeoff is less mid bass impact.

HBB if you can't get KZ's easily in Japan i'm happy to send you a set by plain registered mail.

There was another KZ bass offering that was mentioned in here and I bought them quietly and took them outside and stomped on them into pieces cuz I was going through stress with Forza and knew this guy and his view of bass were not in line with mine but...i gotta try so i did and I literally walked out the door and ignored the old neighbor with a cane who already thinks I'm a loon (Halloween display at a kids school..waaaay too bloody) ...any way i knew he was right there and i stomped on them and talked to them (IEM) while I stomped them into bits and then went looking for the TTPOD that got 5 stars and had lots of bass said the reviews and I stomped on them too.

The TTPOD were quite hard to stomp on with sneakers while the KZ were easy.

Rest in Pieces

No vid or pic of the KZ as i was too fed up.

I may create a budget list .

If they really thunder I can add them to the list and if in doubt I can add to the no amp list with an asterisk that they will pound with an amp.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,442 of 12,597
 There was another KZ bass offering that was mentioned in here and I bought them quietly and took them outside and stomped on them into pieces cuz I was going through stress with Forza and knew this guy and his view of bass were not in line with mine but...i gotta try so i did and I literally walked out the door and ignored the old neighbor with a cane who already thinks I'm a loon (Halloween display at a kids school..waaaay too bloody) ...any way i knew he was right there and i stomped on them and talked to them (IEM) while I stomped them into bits and then went looking for the TTPOD that got 5 stars and had lots of bass said the reviews and I stomped on them too.

Rest in Pieces

If they really thunder I can add them to the list and if in doubt I can add to the no amp list with an asterisk that they will pound with an amp.
Awesome, I totally approve to stomp crappy products.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,443 of 12,597

Rest in Pieces

I have smashed a couple KZ's. they're cheap, I understand :)

I've heard 6 KZ models. I didn't like any BUT the ATE-S and the translucent ATE I tried.

Every other KZ I tried was really unimpressive in every way... I'm sure they would be good if I didn't know what legit good IEMs were. I just think the ATE/ATE-S was the standout of that brand.

I think honestly they belong in a budget list if you make one. But definitely they need an amp.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #4,444 of 12,597

I have smashed a couple KZ's. they're cheap, I understand :)

I've heard 6 KZ models. I didn't like any BUT the ATE-S and the translucent ATE I tried.

Every other KZ I tried was really unimpressive in every way... I'm sure they would be good if I didn't know what legit good IEMs were. I just think the ATE/ATE-S was the standout of that brand.

I think honestly they belong in a budget list if you make one. But definitely they need an amp.

I am going to add them to the list.

I will create a sub $50 list where they can have notations about amping and tweaks to get them sounding far above their price slot. Give me some time for that

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #4,445 of 12,597
Normally I put the stuff I don't like or is too cheap to be worth selling up for cost of shipping figuring at least some DIYer could mess with the drivers, but recently someone sent me some older 'budget hybrids' along with my order and they were so bad I ripped the chords out and soaked  in some old coffee just to be sure that when I threw them out nobody would pick them out of the garbage thinking they were something other than ******* ***** and lose their hearing. The worst part was basically all of the impressions and reviews were positive astoturf crap. IDK how that stuff happens but the company looks like its been defunct for a while, at least they got what they deserved
very_evil_smiley.gif
I mean, I didn't even pay for them and I was still angry at how terrible they were.

Not saying KZ are that bad or anyting, a lot of ppl who seem sane rate them, but I can understand where the stomping comes from. If I never see the phrase "Giant Killer" again I'll be that much happier, even though I think stuff like the Tenore and xb90ex in their own ways sound as good as anything else I've heard.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #4,446 of 12,597
This happens a lot.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #4,447 of 12,597
I had two pairs of the same model of KZ EDSE

One sounded amazingly good. But unfortunately died on me (cable ) quite quickly. My second pair sounded like poop.

sometimes there is just no consistency. I can imagine if someone got my 1st pair and wrote a overwhelming positive review and I only would have gotten my 2nd pair, I would have seriously questioned that person.....

There are enormous consistency issues with these cheap products (sometimes) - guess that's one of the reasons why they are cheap, not much care and control is spend on quality and consistency of parts and assembly.

I bought into the TTPOD hype rain too and was utterly disappointed by them. Gave them away for free.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #4,448 of 12,597
I have those TTpods and it took lots of eq'ing to get them sounding good.  I like them with foam tips.  Zero sub bass, but good enough for gym music. I sometimes wonder about these big boss reviewers.  What the type of music are they listening too?!!  Do they even use a real stereo system of sort as an reference?  

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #4,449 of 12,597
I have those TTpods and it took lots of eq'ing to get them sounding good.  I like them with foam tips.  Zero sub bass, but good enough for gym music. I sometimes wonder about these big boss reviewers.  What the type of music are they listening too?!!  Do they even use a real stereo system of sort as an reference?  
maybe pushers.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,450 of 12,597
maybe pushers.

Maybe. Definitely not using certain terms in the proper way. I wrote this yesterday for the DtP club.

February 22, 2016

Bang the Drum slowly.

The re-education of you.

Basshead or Bass head is a term that has been around since before the Internet and has become, via parroting and miss understanding a miss used and miss understood term.

I have held my sticks for 2 years + and yesterday I read a review that said while the item wasn't basshead it was outstanding in the sub-bass

**takes out sticks**

Man, that is basshead.

Car audio like home audio consists of dedicated drivers for multiple portions of the audio spectrum.
Car audio became much more popular with the masses long before home theaters were made for anyone but the rich. Bose was one of the first to become available to the mass consumer and it was many years after car audio competitions were holding clarity tests and dB drags across the country and around the world.

Using High quality gear with sound/resonant dampening materials a car and it's smaller space can be more easily set-up and time corrected to the listener/occupants or Judge's seating position. It had at the time of my competitions a reference that was a simulation of a live show center floor seats 15th row (approx). The positions of the instruments were supposed to be clear to the judge.

The first time I ever heard:

Outside of a movie was at a Clarity comp.

you had to do well in the dB drag as well as the Clarity comp. I thought it was total ******** but I quickly realized anyone could slap some subs into custom boxes and rip all their seats out of the back of the ride and blow the horns.  It is just an amp gain turn and the right crossover. Clarity tests require much more. Thanks to them I built my system for Etta James and 2pac.

A woman's voice but in the range of male voices and female. A instrument intro in the rear right of the stage before she comes to the mic on semi left center stage...and it goes...

Sub-bass is basshead.

The definition of...the demonstrations of headphones in my vids does almost nothing over 60Hz and it was the same for my dedicated 15' sub woofers.

Sub.....woofers.

You can google the Wiki for the definition and it is well...exactly what the term implies.

Subwoofers play sub-bass and the multiple configuration of large subs amped with enormous power is where bassheads were born in name.
The Beats by Dre brand brought back the term to the mass market and that is unfortunate as the originals had a bass peak around 80Hz.

Nobody I know uses Beats.
(I/They have or had them but they are nothing more than intro sets before you get an amp (just like cars) )

They under perform in the sub-bass and while they shook the industry awake and helped make a site like this as popular as it is today
( yeah...this place is filled with audiophiles ) but it also has a **** ton of folks who love massive sub-bass and ruler flat lines from 250Hz all the way to 1 and 2k.....hey....that sounds kinda like an audiophile??

Who likes bloated mids?

What music exactly excels with an elevated 80-120Hz bump that slopes and creams into the early mids creating a bloated muddy mess?
Who likes that?

Not bassheads.

When you say "Bassheads will like this" <<<<What does that mean?

If you are not using an amp and it is not stout in the sub-bass with an eq and a boost of the sub bass then it's not basshead or at the least you haven't really checked. The oft repeated line about the bass bleeding into mids a tad too much but maybe it would be good for bassheads <<<<<<what??

What??

Don't confuse folks who buy stuff for the name and looks because a sports star is endorsing it  with real bassheads.

That gear is not designed to nor can it achieve the Urban dictionaries definition of basshead:

I never heard that bassheads didn't like mids until the internet.

I know gear that will do what I want and what you want.
You...may not be sure of what gear does what you like and what I like.

No more insulting bassheads with passive insults while your major audiophile friendly companies are making pre-tuned plastic Beats copies and trying to get a slice of that pie. That's smart business but it's not aimed at bassheads and we are not the mass market demographic.
Call em' Beats babies or something because using a term in the wrong way knowingly is foolish.

Don't be foolish.

Live and let live and put forth accurate info and if you are not sure then say nothing.

So I take everything slow, go with the flow
And shut my mother****in' mouth if I don't know(Word!)
'Cause that's what Pops told me
But I wish he could have said it, to my dread homies

- Ice Cube

That's the  IEM basshead king right there. See those mids?

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4,452 of 12,597
Feb 23, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #4,455 of 12,597
Good stuff.

its good but I am not using them something about the mids and highs is not up to my liking, I can not explain exactly but something sounds off

but if i never tried really high totl iems like adel u12 and shure 846 I would honestly say the xb90ex are good

but after hearing the u12 man that iem is simply breath taking of course you have pay its price which is insane

but for me the u12 was the answer for someone who loves bass,with great mids and highs, and huge soundstage and at the same time in theory at least I am preserving my hearing

after listening to u12 nothing is gonna replace it only if new companies add the adel tech into them, the reason is I am simply wanting to preserve my hearing

for bass lovers adel u12 is really amazing, i never heard bass like that at all, its different type of bass that does make me wonder how on earth did they manage to do it, and have great mids and highs as well, with a huge sound stage 

simply put as u know me I am not and never will be a fanboy of any company and I already had my grips in some threads like the ak380 and audeze lcd2, but when something is really good I have to give them credit for it

So among the iems here is my rating

adel u12:  rating 9, it is a new experience listening to such new tech, i honestly want to give them 10 but i am keeping the 10 for future incoming iems, although I do not know what i would change in the u12 at all, as it is that good. Actually without even using any eq I am liking what i am hearing using my ak380+amp, really amazing bass.
shure 846:  rating 8, this is a  keeper 
sony xba z5 : rating 6.5 , this one I will sell
sony xb90ex: 5 rating, I am sorry I did not like this iem compared to the others i have so I will sell this, again for its price its an amazing iem
sennheiser momentum iem: rating 6 , something about this iem is really to my liking it has this dreamy sound sig I know many do not like but I honestly fooled many of my freind in blind tests and they thought that it was one of those expensive iems
asg 2.5: well what can i say, I received it and I damaged the bass dial, silly me, so I am waiting for it to come to be fixed, I still have to evaluate it more, as I found the mids a bit recessed to my liking, I figured that I am more leaning towards mid forward sigs . I so its rating will follow after I get them back from fender.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back