hd25-1 impressions thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #2,162 of 3,348
Also how is the bass compared to the 1R? Or just generally, as I like a lot of bass.

Oct 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #2,163 of 3,348
Ok, first impressions of the Oyaide cable after approx 30 mins of listening. Please note, these notes are more objective than comparative, as my old cable was a bastardised stock cable which I'd cut, joined, added new connectors etc, and was worn out, so I can't directly compare it to stock, but will go off what I remember. Headphones are approximately 5-6 years old too, so have well and truly burned in. Also, I'm terrible at describing what I hear, I'm no good at the audiophile language.

I listened to a variety of stuff from Deadmau5, to Johnny Cash, to Billy Joel, to Bloc Party, Dave Brubeck, and other stuff. Most was 320kb/s MP3 or FLAC, played through a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Overall, the HD25 and HPC-HD25 combo does everything right. Still has the deep, tight punchy bass. High end seems to be more 'tamed' than what I remember from the stock cable, no sibilance or harsh treble. On the Johnny Cash acoustic tracks, his voice is very crisp, and the pick can be heard on the guitar strings.

Deadmau5 sounded great, very strong and controlled bass, synths sounded awesome.

A worthy upgrade from the ruined cable I was using, possibly a worthy upgrade over the stock standard steel cable, especially for the lovely compact mini-jack. All the connectors appear to be of a very high quality, they don't look like they will break easily. Cable fits perfectly in the stock recess in the headband, length is perfect, and the connectors in the cups fit very snug and positively. 

My only slight criticism is the cable does not quite have the same 'rubbery' feel of the stock one, it's very slightly stiff and seems like it could get twisted. It kind of feels like figure 8 cable. It'll probably soften up a bit over time though, so it's not a worry for me. Definitely not something to stop me buying it though.

Colours are awesome, gives a nice bit of life to a dull looking pair of cans, if that is of any concern to anyone :D

Hey congratulations they look amazing, bass wise do you think it is the same or a little bit less than before? I like to have a good bass for my electronic/hiphop music, I have the amperior and the hd25 adidas and I love the bass on both of them, Also are the copper or which material are they made from? Thanks.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #2,164 of 3,348
I picked up the HD25 Aluminum but have a question that you HD25-1ii owners  might know the answer too: 

"Has anyone had a problem with the right cup sliding? Is there any way to tighten it? It kind of seems that the cable is pulling down the cup. The left side is just fine and adjusts with a nice click but the right side slides quickly without any resistance on the bumps. It doesn't look like the little screws have anything to do with that, but only with the cord, right? I don't know if I should send it back to Sennheiser for a repair (?)." 

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #2,165 of 3,348
Which cans compliment the HD 25's sound? I'm thinking of getting another set of cans for listening to genre's that these don't sound so good with.

EDIT: probably using it with DX50 + amp (haven't decided which one yet, probably the apex glacier though) most of the time.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #2,166 of 3,348
  Which cans compliment the HD 25's sound? I'm thinking of getting another set of cans for listening to genre's that these don't sound so good with.

EDIT: probably using it with DX50 + amp (haven't decided which one yet, probably the apex glacier though) most of the time.

Something with forward mids. HD600 is a great compliment in my opinion, unless you need closed. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #2,167 of 3,348
Actually I find my DT1350s to be very complimentary, especially after the cable upgrades on both.  Between the 2, I fear no genre.....
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #2,169 of 3,348

Something with forward mids. HD600 is a great compliment in my opinion, unless you need closed. 

Actually I find my DT1350s to be very complimentary, especially after the cable upgrades on both.  Between the 2, I fear no genre.....
biggrin.gif

Wow I have actually considered these two cans already previously before buying the HD 25 :D just curious, are there any more options?

Nov 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM Post #2,171 of 3,348
Actually I'm tired of these cans thinking about selling them at Christmas.

Nov 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #2,174 of 3,348
I must be going mad but The HD25 1 2 Adidas Originals seem to have increase in price recently! 
I was going to buy a second pair to run single ended from my Graham Slee Voyager. But then I noticed the price tag and 
have held off for now.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back