hd25-1 impressions thread
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #3,346 of 3,348
I have again problems with my left speaker - it is not even 1 year old(bought a new spare one) and it's losing again the connection.
Did Sennheiser ever fix that problem? Or is this what they want? Selling spare parts(where they know it will fail again soon) to make money.
Greed is such a bad human thing.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #3,347 of 3,348
I have again problems with my left speaker - it is not even 1 year old(bought a new spare one) and it's losing again the connection.
Did Sennheiser ever fix that problem? Or is this what they want? Selling spare parts(where they know it will fail again soon) to make money.
Greed is such a bad human thing.
You mean the left driver? How old are your headphones? The HD25 famously has issues with the removable cable connectors. There are very small springs in the earcup that clamp the connector prongs and these can get damaged (compressed or dirty) leading to poor connection.

I think there has been a recent revision to the design, see CustomCans youtube channel, Jay is the HD25 expert in the UK. (he customised the Adidas HD25's for the GB 2012 Olympic team) here is the link:

You can clean your connector prongs, then move them in and out several times, spray contact cleaner or try and pry the springs back with a needle, see the video.

Every electrical item has it's issues and this is one of them, but apart from that the HD25's might just be the most robust and reliable headphones in the world which is why they are amongst the most widely used by DJ's and in television. If you watch David Attenborough you will often see him wearing them all over the world.

I hope you kept your old drivers! You might find they work fine. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #3,348 of 3,348
Actually you are correct waxdoctor! Jay has another video where he identifies a design problem with some of the newer HD25's made in Romania. Apparently it's known that for some reason they solved the spring issue but created a worse one whereby they added hot glue to the coil wires, I guess in order to stabilise them and stop them from breaking. Sadly, in some cases, it seems that too much glue was applied and this can stick the tiny wires to the ear cup, so if the headphones receive a large shock, or are sat on etc, or are opened up, the stress can cause these wires to break.

So it seems they created a worse problem trying to prevent a non existent one. I think they are aware of this now and so hopefully it should not be an issue going forward, but I guess there is a run of thousands of sets of HD25's where this was a potential issue and you might of got some of the affected ones. If you open up your broken drivers and see a big glob of glue and send photos to Sennheisser then maybe they might make a goodwill gesture?

Either that or look out for an old second hand pair of Ireland made ones! I have had three pairs and zero issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back